ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My ITB'd 172 cup fast road/ track car project

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Love it mate, were the billsteins brand new as the bottom of the shock looks to have paint missing or possibly dirty lol

Trafic 140dci
Love it mate, were the billsteins brand new as the bottom of the shock looks to have paint missing or possibly dirty lol
they are second hand, with a fair few miles on them lol was hoping no one would notice haha, again me being tight trying to save money :eek:

Awesome work

Same suspensions as mine - B14's, ARB and pure motorsport kit. Handles soo well
I just wish the Bilsteins had adjustable damping - but still awesome for the money

As for the coilpack mount - I bought one from K-Tec as my coil pack wouldn't fit because of the strut brace too
If you have a look on my progress thread when it arrived it doesnt fit right

Spoke to K-Tec and their batch were manufactured wrong and they're waiting for some new ones - but they said it might be end of the month before they get any

:(

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The best thing about this car is the precision that has gone into the fitting of the aero catches ;)

Love it though mate, all done properly.. minus your ITB's that don't make any power LOL.

Seriously though, nice car. :)

SQ5
The best thing about this car is the precision that has gone into the fitting of the aero catches ;)

Love it though mate, all done properly.. minus your ITB's that don't make any power LOL.

Lol aerocatches is all I can think of! I wanted to ask for pics but didn't want to be mean lol!

GSXR + KDX220
I dont have enough stuff to have a clear out lol and old engine in bits??? ummmm, a fuel rail minus injectors.....
Buying an ARB is pretty much the track day and fuel paid for instead! ;)

Trafic 140dci
I dont have enough stuff to have a clear out lol and old engine in bits??? ummmm, a fuel rail minus injectors.....
Buying an ARB is pretty much the track day and fuel paid for instead! ;)
haha i know what you mean mate, i haven't got a lot too tbh, nothing i think anyone would want to buy, but if i get rid of them, more space in garage plus a bit of cash. selling my old fridge/freezer/washing machine from my old house paid for my arb :) perk's of moving into a rented house that includes white good's lol

haha pure craftsmanship ;) LOL as said before, bonnet is ruined, so i didnt really care, when i get a nice carbon fibre one, might ask DannyR to do it as his looked neat :p or invest in a dremel

was a bad weekend with my car, wasn't running right at all was no wonder the figure's didnt work out :( its since been fixed (good service, new leads and new plugs)

hopefully gonna get it remapped after christmas, i'm just currently trying to find someone local to just have a look at engine (pressure check and check timing) before i get it remapped to make sure there isn't nothing seriously wrong.

thanks mate, yours is looking good too :)

Awesome work

Same suspensions as mine - B14's, ARB and pure motorsport kit. Handles soo well
I just wish the Bilsteins had adjustable damping - but still awesome for the money

As for the coilpack mount - I bought one from K-Tec as my coil pack wouldn't fit because of the strut brace too
If you have a look on my progress thread when it arrived it doesnt fit right

Spoke to K-Tec and their batch were manufactured wrong and they're waiting for some new ones - but they said it might be end of the month before they get any

:(
thanks mate, i assume the rad fan arrived all ok?

yeah i had been watching your project thread, i sent k-tec an email earlier, hopefully they get them in soon as i need one, although i can wait as probably not using the car before christmas

d5n

RB 182 FF
Found you lol. Just read the whole thread car looks good and bet it goes well too. Hope your enjoying the buckets.

Trafic 140dci
Found you lol. Just read the whole thread car looks good and bet it goes well too. Hope your enjoying the buckets.
Thanks mate, it certainly does go well :p buckets are superb, very happy with them, really appreciate you delivering.

Phase 1 Clio 172
What do you think of the pure motorsport top mounts and strut?? I think it sounds like good value for money as a package!!

Trafic 140dci
What do you think of the pure motorsport top mounts and strut?? I think it sounds like good value for money as a package!!
I don't see how there could be a better but of kit on the
Market tbh

Not massively more exPensive than AST top mounts and it's all linked by a strut brace, still need to test but don't have a coil pack mount yet

Phase 1 Clio 172
Yeah true mate saves buying a seperate strut brace for 100 so really the top mounts are only costing you a Ton in theory!!

172 PH1, S/C EP3
Hey mate, just read through ur build, really impressed :clap:

Whats the benifit with the polo rad? Is it just for more space with the itbs?

Trafic 140dci
Hey mate, just read through ur build, really impressed :clap:

Whats the benifit with the polo rad? Is it just for more space with the itbs?
That's pretty much it really, the idea is eventually bigger trumpets & air filter so need the space :) plus I spose it helps get more air into the ITB's

Yeah true mate saves buying a seperate strut brace for 100 so really the top mounts are only costing you a Ton in theory!!
Not only that this strut brave bolts to suspension top mounts, where as the omp strut brace just bolts to chasis, and from what I've read doesn't do a great deal

Thanks for all the good comments :)

Trafic 140dci
Finished work today for Christmas so made a start on the car :)

i fitted an odyssey pc680 race battery the other weekend, although i didn't get any pictures as it was snowing and was in a hurry!

Today i started on my engine bay 'Tidy up' this is a before photo.

6554495429_c624c05bf0_b.jpg

I then stripped off everything i felt confident enough to do, would of loved to take off the rad hoses and replace them for some nice forge/samco ones, but i cant justify spending that kind of money on something that's just cosmetic, maybe if my hoses ever need replacing i wouldn't mind. i also gave my engine a good clean with some brake cleaner.

6554499385_7149e42821_b.jpg

I then masked everything up ready for my rocker cover to be sprayed.

6554501477_2aeefeb87e_b.jpg

I then sprayed my rocker cover with some silver VHT paint.

6554503623_1d9f944918_b.jpg

Masking tape and dust sheets off.

6554505317_507898e1f4_b.jpg

some bits back on, Throttle bodies still off as i need to cut and fit my Reverie Carbon Fibre back plate, i'm also re-routing my throttle cable to the other side of the engine to look a bit tidier. Coil pack also not fitted as i'm still waiting to get a coil pack mount :(

6554506985_d80ccec839_b.jpg

I've also got a new square oil catch tank, you may notice behind the engine, trialing a few different places to put it.

more to come over the following week as i'll be doing bit's most day's :)

thanks

lewis

Same oil catch tank as me (lol) - have a look on my progress blog mate
It fits REALLY nicely between the water reservoir and PAS bottle - you can just drill a couple of holes for the bolts and then bolt it from the passenger footwell

I need to order an airbox for mine tomorrow and then cut it up - not looking forward to that job :(

Trafic 140dci
Same oil catch tank as me (lol) - have a look on my progress blog mate
It fits REALLY nicely between the water reservoir and PAS bottle - you can just drill a couple of holes for the bolts and then bolt it from the passenger footwell

I need to order an airbox for mine tomorrow and then cut it up - not looking forward to that job :(
If i'm honest i stole the idea from you :eek: lol i wanted a Mocal catch tank, but circa £100 is a joke for what it is, then i saw it on your car and thought it was pretty neat so i got this beauty for £20, i think that's where i going to put mine tbh. Didnt have a drill to drill any holes today as it was on my work van which was at my colleague's house, but i've been and collected that tonight which is all good :)

Me neither, although i'm feeling fairly confident, as the ITB's and trumpet's are 45mm, and fortunately i already have a 44mm hole cutter in my garage.

If you read Chrispy's project thread his way of doing it is pretty accurate :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
If i'm honest i stole the idea from you :eek: lol i wanted a Mocal catch tank, but circa £100 is a joke for what it is, then i saw it on your car and thought it was pretty neat so i got this beauty for £20, i think that's where i going to put mine tbh. Didnt have a drill to drill any holes today as it was on my work van which was at my colleague's house, but i've been and collected that tonight which is all good :)

Me neither, although i'm feeling fairly confident, as the ITB's and trumpet's are 45mm, and fortunately i already have a 44mm hole cutter in my garage.

If you read Chrispy's project thread his way of doing it is pretty accurate :)

Measure twice, cut once! Take your time.

Good luck :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah the paint down the trumpet method, I've Paintanted that method ;)

When I did Marks airbox for his race car I ended up just using a pencil and it worked just as well. Just have to measure it lots of times before cutting!

Trafic 140dci
I got ATPower to cut ours for us,didn't fancy messing up a very expensive box.
I would of done too if i'd of known they are only 10 minutes down the road from me! knowing that i'd of probably got there throttle bodies too :(

You said you were using a Ford Coil pack & mount, what model is it off?

Bit of an update, got the airbox, trumpets and filter on now, and got it running now. Although it is running like a bag of sh*te at the moment, diagnosed as need the TPS sensor calibrated and ITB's balanced, its also well overdue a remap. So i'm hoping i can get a local firm APT in Lenwade, Norwich to get this work done :)

Still need a coil pack mount, it's only bodged on for now. Also got a B&M quick shift i'm going to fit tomoro, need to tidy up the wires to the injector's and hopefully remove the tar from the interior. Hopefully i can get in APT in the next couple of day's if they are open. If not will be next week. I might even give it a clean too... first time in months.

Here's a quick picture, will get better ones tomoro in the light.

6576939131_e8bc252e03_b.jpg

And the video of it slowly dying :(

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 5 RS
If you've got the right serial cable, it's pin to pin which is called a RS232 extention cable, then just download map3000 from the Omex site, tis free. Can see what the TPS is doing and just have to set closed /open throttle. (see page 6 in the manual)

Last edited:
  Trafic 140dci
oh, might see if i can get that at PC world tomoro then so can hopefully get the car running, best i have a good read before i well and truely f*ck my car up LOL

Evo 5 RS
well once you've set open and closed throttle I wouldn't change much else, it sounds like they need a good balance so they'll need looking at anyway. Worth a shot tho

Evo 5 RS
You'll need the balancing tool which can't be all that expensive. If it needs a remap anyway I'd let the tuner do it and save you the agro. Personally I've never had to do it myself yet

Trafic 140dci
You'll need the balancing tool which can't be all that expensive. If it needs a remap anyway I'd let the tuner do it and save you the agro. Personally I've never had to do it myself yet
ah right no worries won't bother then :) thanks for the nice car comment, didn't notice untill after i'd posted, maplin's have the cable, 5x as much as your link, but at least i should be able to get it to run tomoro :D

Wow that sounds rough as f**k

Get them balanced mate
I bought the balancing tool (air flow meter thing) for about £45 which considering it says balancing them is a service item every year aint bad
Took me about 30mins to balance them all - then hooked the laptop up and reset the TPS raw values. Ticks over at 950rpm smooth as silk now

Did you get any pics of you chopping the airbox up? Need to order mine but I'm scared lol

Trafic 140dci
Wow that sounds rough as f**k

Get them balanced mate
I bought the balancing tool (air flow meter thing) for about £45 which considering it says balancing them is a service item every year aint bad
Took me about 30mins to balance them all - then hooked the laptop up and reset the TPS raw values. Ticks over at 950rpm smooth as silk now

Did you get any pics of you chopping the airbox up? Need to order mine but I'm scared lol

It ain't good lol, na as i done a little bit Christmas day, and boxing day after i'd been out for the day's, so only had a few hours of light each time, so was in a hurry to get done.

I wouldn't worry to much, just make sure once you've marked your circle to get your hole saw dead centre, and that's the hardest bit, my 44mm hole cutter was actually 42mm, so once i cut the circles had to 'trim' the rest with my Dremel then it was perfect for the throttle body :)

It's also worth making sure you have a good allen key with a ball bit on the end as it is awkward getting the bolts in.

The bonnet does sit on the airfilter a little bit, so going to trim the bonnet down later.

Ahhh I've just bought all the bits I need to cut my bonnet for aerocatches - so I'll trim the support braces away for the filter too :)

You going on track at all this year? I wouldn't mind comparing cars in the metal lol