ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First Race

If anyone's interested, the Motors TV footage was aired tonight and is available to view online at http://www.750mc.co.uk. Watch the vid on the homepage, should be Oulton Program 1 Part 1. Lasts about 10 mins, seemed to get some decent exposure out of it - anyone want to sponsor me? ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Glad to see somebody else giving it a go,much better than all this trackday stuff.Got the bug now?

Don't knock the trackday stuff! Its the best i can get! If i had deeper pockets i'd go racing mind you....im a racer at heart.

Big respect to you Alex. I'd love to do this.

Don't knock the trackday stuff! Its the best i can get! If i had deeper pockets i'd go racing mind you....im a racer at heart.

You don't need big pockets to go racing. I spend less every year than my mate who does about the same number of days track daying.

182cup & 172 racecar

Ollie,some of the people Iv'e spoken to lately are spending the same if not more than us doing trackdays,.I was shocked.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it,just nice to see another racer coming through the ranks:approve:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ollie,some of the people Iv'e spoken to lately are spending the same if not more than us doing trackdays,.I was shocked.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it,just nice to see another racer coming through the ranks:approve:

I think what it is daunting (well in my eyes anyway) is the initial costs to turn, in my case the Cup, into a race spec car. I'd imagine pairing up like you and Jay have done makes it more affordable per person but still, it must cost a fair amount of dollar? I'd love a run down of costs it took get you to the first race as im genuinely interested!

Of course there is the option of just buying a car ready-to-race, but i think i'd rather the familiarity you get building your own car.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I think what it is daunting (well in my eyes anyway) is the initial costs to turn, in my case the Cup, into a race spec car. I'd imagine pairing up like you and Jay have done makes it more affordable per person but still, it must cost a fair amount of dollar? I'd love a run down of costs it took get you to the first race as im genuinely interested!

Alex sent me race entry fees & i nearly cried.

As such, i'll be sticking to track days for the near future. I cant see how it would be anywhere near as cheap to race properly as it is do track days in my pink sh1tbox :(

Lotus Elise
well done. I really enjoyed watching that race. reminded me so much of my first season in motorsport. Your lines into the corners are really good but just need to carry a bit more speed as you're not using all the road on the exit, but it will come with practice. A bit more aggression and brave pill and you will do very well im sure.

Great watch and happy racing :approve:

182cup & 172 racecar
There is a lad in our series who drives to race then drives home,he's not going to win anything(nor have we lol)but he has a great day and he's racing.

Car prep basics.
Roll cage
Cut off switch
Fire extinguisher
Rain light

Done.

We spent loads,but we did get carried away,thats the trouble with building your own.If you buy one, yes you will get problems,but then dont we all.

Alex's entry fees may more than ours as his championship is televised,thats why we steered clear of the 750MC events.

I'm aiming to do a full breakdown of every penny of costs for next year, this year was all about getting the right things in place so that costs next year are purely racing and fixing ones. Entry fees are around about £200 per meeting, obviously a double-header is much better value with two rounds for similar money (in S/H that's potentially four races due to heats/finals). If you plan everything well in advance you should be able to do a season for £3k (you won't win the championship on that), that's after buying car/trailer/tools/equipment. I earn £13k a year at the moment and aiming to spend £3k of that on racing. It's not really bank-busting. If you give up a £40 night-out once a week, you've got £2k towards your season. Give up the high mpg, high insurance road car and save another £1k a year.

182cup & 172 racecar
All things are possible.

Ours are about £300,but we do have 30min quali and 40min race,and like yourself,we hope next year will just be running costs.

Last edited: