ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Dyno Results !

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I dont get it, why use two then if the results are confusing and meaningless? One roller seems to be industry standard, anything else giving other results may not necessarily be wrong, but unless you can work it out it's meaningless... It's like having a speedo that reads only in KPH and having no idea or way of working out MPH... it's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard

Powerstation said it was down to creating the fly figure more acurately. I was told they said they had 3 engines ran on an engine Dyno at Prodrive then tested them in cars on the rollers and they where all ran bang on what the engine dyno said.

But has always confussed me as they at the wheels figure is the bit that counts!

I was at powerstation recently and they were deffo over reading :(

183bhp for a mk1 172 with just a cat back exhaust...

Also loads of other standard cars over reading. Old 1.8t Octavia 200 bhp, 330 was 247 etc.

Was funny though, one guy had his car up there and it hit 530bhp, so now that's the figure it produces obviously. Yet if I went round saying mine had 183bhp everyone would say don't be silly :)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Ok, i agree with all the comments about "its pointless without run previous to mods" I knew it would be anyway. Was just curious as to what it might get, whether it would create a talking point (like now) or whether it doesnt even make 180 lol.

But seeing as i dont know anything about what bhp curves should look like, is anyone able to say it looks ok ?

BTW, the Dyno was a 4wd version and had 4 individual rollers lol

OK, ignoring the actual numbers, what was damn good about that torque curve was the way it jumped at about 3000 rpm. You'd normally expect a steadier increase in torque, not a huge jump then a fairly flat peak. Getting nearly 130 lb ft of torque at 3000 rpm on an engine that peaked at 150 lb ft at nearly 6000 rpm is amazing. Clio Sports don't have that sort of wide flat torque curve. They have a kick at 4500 rpm or so. The sort of things that'd give you that much low end torque - like a long small-diameter induction pipe - would normally reduce your maximum power.

From that curve and the numbers they gave you I'd suspect that that's the case. I think the dyno operator has gotten the powertrain losses totally wrong, that they're only half what he factored in, and what you've got is an engine that's really strong at the low end but only produces about as much peak power as a standard engine.

Not that I'm criticising. An engine with just as much power as a standard engine but a lot more mid-range torque is a very nice road engine.

Last edited:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Powerstation tranny losses are always way out, something to do with how they calculate your ATF power, they can usualy be ignored. Which is a shame as I'd rather know my atw figure really.

a thirsty one
i've used a number of RR places in the NW, prosport in stockport were pretty accurate before it burnt down havnt been back since, tried a few others over the years but now use Awsome gti in irlam, we ran a few RR days there with about 15 - 20 cars per day and between modded cars we ran a few std cars every std car was +/-1bhp of the book figure.

not an absolute science but by running half a dozen std cars during the day and each one being so close to book figures fly/wheel it gave us a bit more confidence when getting results for the motors with engine work.

awsome gti is a new dyno looks the dogs

over next year or so i hope to have same mods already got the panel filter just need inlets, remap and hopefully btb exhaust if finances allow.

182BG
if you want an accurate reading, guess how much you car is, then tie that many horses to the rear,
then drive flat out one way and get them to run the other way,
and if your cars stops dead without dragging any of the horses backwards. That how much Brake Horse Power you have :)

cup 182 mit stripes
Did some of the standard 182s make 183 bhp then John? Seems to be a bit optomistic lol.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
In Scotland and you didnt use AVA? Got a great rep even down the south of England!