ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cup engine dead!!

172 cup TT

(Sorry, bit long!) Hi all - Some probably aware my cars been in to reno for the past 3 weeks with problems with its clutch, vibration, gear box and oil leak... Well, after letchworth reno lied and did NO work on it what so ever (after having it for 2 weeks) it was taken to Harpenden for the work to "continue"(Start!)... Bob @ Harpenden is spot on.. in the past week he has had it he managed to replace the clutch, gear box, fix oil leak and sort the exhaust vibration... he told me yesterday that its all fine but the engine is making a ticking / suspect noise and he would like to investigate it further.. today they took it apart and to cut a long story short have ordered in a new ENGINE from reno! :(..
I dunno why im writting this i just wanted to see if there is any advice from people to give or any thing at all really... :( Bob told me that they took the head off and(sorry if i get some of the words wrong here im trying to remember what he told me when i was stunned on the phone! ) He said that it had a badly scored cylinder head and cam shaft is screwed - the parts are completely no good anymore..The the cam shaft had worn into the cylinder head or something. bad lifters, and it needs a new cylinder head and the Cam shaft bearing is in bad shape!... also problems with "Exhaust cam(?) shaft" and hydraulic lifters.... most of this makes no sense to me what so ever.... if anyone (BenR, Andy, fred, who ever) can give me any views on this or what ever then thanks.. So itll have a brand new engine in either tomorrow or friday!... some of me is like WOO.. the other part is.. damn, that engine was amazing and i have to run the bloody thing in now...

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

im amazed they ordered one with out a fight it must have been is sh*t condition, i mean really bad!!!!!

also have the fun of trying to explain why the clocks say a different mileage to the engine :sleep:

well al least you have a new engine to look forward to... :D

172 cup TT

tbh i am suspect about the whole damn thing... i have been told lies by letchworth reno, and mis-truths over the past 3 weeks about so many little things... When he told me about a new engine i said "so, will it look brand new? - will it have a new looking top bit(inlet manifold i think)".. he said "probably not, the new engines dont normally come with that attached".. i thought if it was a new engine then you would get Everybit you can see from inlet manifold downwards.. obviously not all the ancillaries...

172 cup TT

Yeh Fubar - well if i ever sell it i would just say it has had a brand new engine... i did ask him "do the clocks go back?".. he said "no" (silly question really i guess but not in best state of mind).

Are you being sarcastic tho mate about looking forward to a new engine?.. i wish there were but i cant see anything good about it at-bloody-all :( - cheer me up and tell me there is... please

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

When J3ned had some 172 engines on ebay brand new in the crate I dont think they had any manifolds on them.

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 11 May 2005

Yeh Fubar - well if i ever sell it i would just say it has had a brand new engine... i did ask him "do the clocks go back?".. he said "no" (silly question really i guess but not in best state of mind).

Are you being sarcastic tho mate about looking forward to a new engine?.. i wish there were but i cant see anything good about it at-bloody-all :( - cheer me up and tell me there is... please

nope i wasnt being sarcastic.... i would love a new 172 engine from Renault.

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 11 May 2005

i think he also has new clocks for sale ;-)

/y0z
hehe - if im reading you right AND if i were considering what i think your thinking (im not!) then why would I need new physical clocks? they are all electronic arent they? - surley just plug some gadget into the car somewhere and amend stuff...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

This is making me worry, my cup is making wierd noise at tickover, its due its 24K service soon, but its trying to cut out when I get going at the top of my road, and stutters (if thats the right word) when first pulling off in the morning.

At least Reno are giving you a new engine, thats a start, just take it as it comes from there and bed it in gently.

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 11 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 11 May 2005

nope i wasnt being sarcastic.... i would love a new 172 engine from Renault.
Can i ask why mate? - they will be all tight and slower for the first year or two wouldnt they????
yeh, but think about in 2 years time... my 2001 car would have done 15000 miles on the engine in 6 years with the miles i do.

:)

172 cup TT

Thanks Donnyo - no, look, im sure the majority of these ticking, knocking problems arent as serious as mine.. i felt terrible because before i knew about needing a new engine i posted about mine being in to reno for the same problem as another user had - said i would update as soon as i know the problem.. jesus, im just going to make everyone bloody worry now!

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=159475&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=159475&PagePosition=1

172 cup TT

ah ok 172Ex... could you emphasise plz mate? - what are the differences.... advantages / disadvantages etc, thx

sounds like there was either an oil supply problem to the camshafts as the bearings run direct in the casting, or there was loads of sh*t in your oil.

172 cup TT

Ben thanks.. just tried to PM you but your box was full.. was basically about more info on running in engines... ive done a search and your view has been to run it hard.. would you mind PMing me back plz with info on this and if you still believe this is right.. cheer buddy..

Oh, and yeh... he did mention it seems like it was an oil problem.. well it had an oil leak and my low oil flashed a few times but i filled up almost immediately every couple of weeks... if it had sh*t in the oil how would that have got in there? - now you say it, he did say that a slight bit of my dipstick had snapped off and unsure where the BIT had gone...

lol......you only need a tiny bit of grit to start messing stuff up.

As for running in engines, its not about running it in hard but not being a jessie with them.

When running in your aiming to create a good ring seal, thats it....and you WONT bed the rings quick enough without glazing the bore unless you put the engine under load....so that means using the full rpm range and full throttle at least........but it doesnt mean buzzing it.

172 cup TT

Thanks ben.. your a star - if im gonna get a "factory rebuilt engine" as 172 Ex mentions, maybe its had a bit of a run in already eh.......

172 cup TT

THanks Ben... Was just reading yuor note to me about Cams, SMT6 and was it inlet manifold work? i cant remember.. got the money for a few big mods but typical, probably cant have anything big done now for a few months eh!! :(

Tom: yeh thanks mate.. they must have spent a bomb! engine, clutch, gearbox!.. blimey...

Faulty engines go back to Renault, They strip them, Clean them, Rebuild them using new parts where required, then they get crated up and dispatched to the next dealer that needs a replacement.. So they look just like "New"..

They also do this with Gearboxes, Turbos, Driveshafts, Alternators etc etc..

172 cup TT

Hehe, well, no, im pretty sure i didnt do that - im so careful when it comes to things like that... hmm, but there was that time i checked the oil in the sahara - damn the sand storms that day ;)!, seriously though, i think something happened whilst it was in reno letchworth for those weeks...

Well, new engine now.. just havent a clue what i do with all the paper work and service stamp manual thingie!.. having a Zero mileage engine... hmm

when it comes to selling it wont matter as Renault will have it all in wrighting for you an u just keep that in your loge book "its not a bad thing tho just i would want to know why the engine was changed if i was buying it"!.

take it an be happy! as it could have been realy bad if the "warranty was run out:eek: SH*T that would be £££££££££!

Your new engine probably will be a service exchange unit. They dont come with ancilliaries - things like the alternator do get swapped from the old engine to the replacement (unless theyre buggered too). I THINK theyre bench tested before shipping, but still need to be run in to a certain degree...

Odometers are digital but cant be fiddled by a dealer. Just consider the potential scope for fraud if it was possible! :eek::p

You can always get a new dial set and get the milage fitted to any milage you want.
Or do to a digital correction place they adust them to whatever milage you want for quite cheap I think.

172 cup TT

thanks DC2dave.... Edde: well, i may as well just keep the mileage that is on the dash at the moment... ive thought about this.. it does reflect how many miles the actual CAR has done BUT doesnt reflect the engine! oh i dunno whats best.......... White16V: i have no idea mate.. im assuming so.. UNLESS they transfer the number over from my old to the new...

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Ive never seen someone use "thanks" so many times in one thread! lol

The new engine (weather it be new/rebuilt) will be fine...

tbh, if they have a few engines spare then theyll give u a brand new one, coz it;ll cost them alot to strip ures down and re-build it if theyve got surplus new ones!

Did u have ne mods on the car? and if so have they tried to pin the damage on u!?

172 cup TT

thanks S2 ;)

mods??? course not.... eh slugger.... and nope they havent pined it on me... well, they wouldnt have IF i had any mods ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Ive got 30 Available - they are only this price to Cliosport users. We normally retail them at £2000 but i will do them at cost price to you guys !!!

172 cup TT

Cheers j3ned - hopefully i wont need to get one off you.. with due respect :).. all done under warrenty mate... phew! - also, whats your view on running these in??? - and is there a REAL noticable difference after a few thousand miles?? :(

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 12 May 2005

Cheers j3ned - hopefully i wont need to get one off you.. with due respect :).. all done under warrenty mate... phew! - also, whats your view on running these in??? - and is there a REAL noticable difference after a few thousand miles?? :(

Nail them from day one - dont run them in.

If they go wrong they will go wrong a lot sooner so your warranty will still be in force. The reason why the manufacturers tell you to run em in is so there covering there backs financially.

Another bonus of nailing them from day one is the engine will loosen up a lot quicker than normal, so therefore be a lot faster in the long run.

Chris n Nic off the site has a 172 cup kicking out 192 bhp !!!! - the engine internals are totally standard. This car has been hammered from day one and is quite reliable !!

172 cup TT

Jesus!... cheers very much mate - that has been extremely influencial in my decision on how to treat it... apprecatied