ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio won't start. Any ideas?

172 Flamer
The other day, I went out to my ph 2 clio 172 and it would not start. The engine would turn over but it would not fire into life. The immobiliser light flashes and when you put the key in, the light goes solid and after 5 seconds it goes out. I left the car for the day and when I came back to try it, it started. So, next day, went to start it and again, same problem, trys to turn over but just won't fire. I've tried for two days now and it just won't start. I've also tried the spare key but that made no difference.

Any ideas?

172 Flamer
OK, today my Clio decided to start. We did have two days of heavy rain, then the car does not start, then two days of warm, dry weather and the car starts. Is it possible that water could get into the engine bay and stop the car from starting? Would water getting into the electrics, fusebox etc cause the car to not start???

Megane dci 130
More than likely the Crank postion sensor at fault mate. You need to get a new sensor and the new connector fitted.

clio sport 182
hey yeah sounds like TDC sensor its on top of the gearbox has a connector and 2 wires coming from it , next time it don't start if you wigle the connector and it starts you no its that .

Golf GTD Mk7
Where abouts is this sensor? Is it easy to check and replace?

Crank sensor is near the battery looking onto the flywheel mate. I've not got a picture of it though sorry. It's held on my two 10mm bolts from memory. Sensor is attached to a metal bracket (whole thing looks like a T shape). Remove battery, and have a look where the gearbox meets the engine.

Clio 172 Cup
Same happened with my motor on Sunday, just found the connector gave it a bit of a wiggle and it started first time. Don't suppose anyone knows how much a replacement connector is( i should really get round to replacing mine)

clio sport 182
bout £45 but you have gotta replace the sensor as well as the new connecor won't fit in the old sensor think the sensors bout £45 as well .