ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My clio mk1 versus a civic type r

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
also looking forward to seeing the corsa in the flesh and in action on the track!!

Its really not anything special mate, it goes well enough but its just a tatty old corsa shell with a smokey (literally on the over run you'll see it smoke into every bend, lol) old engine in it, the only good bits really are the cams/itbs/map/diff everything else is pretty uninteresting.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Fair enough. Ive been toying with getting a type r for a while, but i loive mine. Shame i cant afford both :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fair enough. Ive been toying with getting a type r for a while, but i loive mine. Shame i cant afford both :(

We had a tear up with a mate in a standard one (other than upgraded brakes) around bedford recently, and there was nothing really in it from our 172 TBH, we were slightly quicker in the bends, he was slightly quicker on the straights, over a lap though it was almost identical, too close to call.
Difference is though, the type r can much more easily be modified for big power!

We've considered one, but they just arent enough better than the clio to justify the cost difference really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends what you plan to do with I reckon.

Unless you want to go and chase lots of power, I dont see any advantage to one over a 172 really

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Gear box , Engine , Build Quality , tuning

If you arent going to chase loads of power though the 172 engine and box are fine, and by definition you arent going to be tuning.
So build quality is about the only thing relevent if you are not looking to modifiy for more power IMHO, and the 172 isnt terrible in that respect anyway IME (unusually for a french car, lol)

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I’m talking interms of feel I guess not outright power i.e. gear box in the Civic is the bestI have come across for feel and the engine has a certain something about itthat excites me more than the Renault lump i.e. noise change over etc. .

I’ve had x 2 Ph.1 172 and x 1 Civic EP3 and i rate the Civic more .

If you arent going to chase loads of power though the 172 engine and box are fine, and by definition you arent going to be tuning.
So build quality is about the only thing relevent if you are not looking to modifiy for more power IMHO, and the 172 isnt terrible in that respect anyway IME (unusually for a french car, lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I’m talking interms of feel I guess not outright power i.e. gear box in the Civic is the bestI have come across for feel and the engine has a certain something about itthat excites me more than the Renault lump i.e. noise change over etc. .

I’ve had x 2 Ph.1 172 and x 1 Civic EP3 and i rate the Civic more .

If they were the same price and I had neither already, I would buy a civic.

But as I have a 172 im happy with and thats mechanically good etc, and it would cost me thousands to swap, seems better to stick with what I have.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Fair point

If they were the same price and I had neither already, I would buy a civic.

But as I have a 172 im happy with and thats mechanically good etc, and it would cost me thousands to swap, seems better to stick with what I have.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Hope you mate learned something! Glad he's ok. My mate stuffed my xr2 into 1st instead of 3rd at 75mph at combe and jacked all the followers up on a recently built engine with a nicely ported head. It's funny I didn't get angry about it either. He was being bullied by a 182 at the time and was concentrating too hard on getting out the way. I was more annoyed that I'd assured him it was good friendly fun and he felt quite the opposite when we came off with a broken car.

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Not a clue, it's in the Puma's and the Fiesta's Zetec-S though.

Fords bread and butter fwd box after the BC. Nothing special about it in anyway. It does the job it's supposed to well enough and nothing more.

MTX-75 was stronger but was a bit big for fiesta's at the time.

williams and trophy
good going in the valver. havent come across a type r on a trackday for years tbh. this is the last time i encountered one. cam car was craggys uber quick saxo, hed been chasing the teg for a few laps ... ;)

[youtube]vOiKs8pAWCY&feature=plcp&context=C4846e3eVDvjVQa1PpcFOswNPSevAIdDM_9TT8v73BBhlULE3CLy0%3D[/youtube]