ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio history 2003 - 2008

Lee

BMW M2C
Seeing as Paul has a thread going with his current and previous Clios I thought I'd start one for mine.

2003 - Monaco Blue 172. Bought it new from Motorpoint as a parallet import. Kept if for 18 months and did 22500 miles.

http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/RSClio172/index.htm

When I first got it:
Clio3.jpg

As I'm not big on modified cars the most it got was a Cup splitter and Magnex 3.5 inch twin.

LeeMclio09.jpg

LeeMclio01.jpg

After having the 172 I wished I'd gone for a 172 Cup instead, but at the time didn't know anything about them. As the Cup was no longer available I opted for a 182 with Cup packs in Arctic blue. Purchased from Renault Birmingham for the bargain price of £10,800 due to F & F being at 30% at the time. http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/RSClio182/index.htm

zymol182_07.jpg

zymol182_01.jpg

spa07.jpg

That lasted 12 months and 18500 miles before being replaced by Trophy number 007 in June 2005. I knew about the Trophy from fairly early into it's development so committed to having it no matter what the outcome!! To say I was pleased when I got it would be an understatement. Once again purchased from Renault Birmingham though this time the discount wasn't as good, £12,400 so still a bargain for the first customer car on the road. The Trophy stayed with me longer than any car I've ever owned, only selling it a matter of weeks ago after covering 40k miles in my hands.
http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/trophy/index.htm
http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/trophy/Farewell/

ClioTrophy10.jpg

And the day it left me:
farewell_04.jpg

Which leads me onto my current Clio! My 197 Cup. Again supplied by Renault Birmingham (yes I do actually get commission). I picked the car up on the 1st of March with 15 miles on the clock. A week on it will hit 300 miles on the way home. I don't for one minute regret the swap from the Trophy to the Cup, which is something I was a little worried about.
http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/197Cup/

Cup_01.jpg

Cup_03.jpg

Cup_07.jpg

I suppose you could say I'm quite a fan of Renaultsport Clios!!

Last edited:
  2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
was just going to say stop copying you will get infraction points :rasp: nice cars :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Just a shame you didn't have a Williams before hand! Complete the range...Without strayin over to the Megane/Twingo side of the equation.

Very nice! :)

Lee

BMW M2C
The floor was dirty Paul. The sales girl actually asked if I wanted it cleaning before I took the pictures!

Not sure why, but the Williams didn't grab me back then. I had the 306GTi-6 instead.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
The floor was dirty Paul. The sales girl actually asked if I wanted it cleaning before I took the pictures!

Not sure why, but the Williams didn't grab me back then. I had the 306GTi-6 instead.

i would have had them on there hands and knees licking the floor clean if i was to buy a new 08 model (they have to hear there commison some how) :rasp:

Do love the Trophy and your current car ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Not a move i would of made...But heyho!

you doing oulton in it this yr?

Lee

BMW M2C
I loved the 6. At the time the ph1 172 was about, and for me the GTi-6 had more to offer. I wanted a larger car for some reason. Probably because I was insecure and wanted a c**k extension to drive round in. lol Now I don't care what people think of my car, or the number plate on the Cup.

I'll see how I'm doing around the time, but I'd hate to miss my favourite UK circuit.

Lee

BMW M2C
So when are you going to get a v6?

When I care more about the visuals than I do the drive. lol I love the V, the looks you get when driving one are worth it, but I'm not a fan of the driving experience. Plus I couldn't get a new one now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Trophy is/was the best lookng one without a doubt.

Cup will give you more thrills I reckon. Would genuinely be interested to hear your thoughts after a couple of track days in it.

Actually, PM me if you'd be so kind Lee.

Nice history,

Must say, you have bought well and your annual depreciation cosyt must be coming in at a very reasonable 1-2k.

PS - what did 30% F&F mean (hope i am not being stoopid)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i remember the old monaco 172 i was actually having a look on here before I got mine as yours was very tastily done, nearly made me get monaco in the end!!

Also remember a well long vid of the 04 arctic bus going to the ring and also loads of issues with the exhaust brackets on the 182!!

and

SXY not bad at all

Lee

BMW M2C
i remember the old monaco 172 i was actually having a look on here before I got mine as yours was very tastily done, nearly made me get monaco in the end!!

Also remember a well long vid of the 04 arctic bus going to the ring and also loads of issues with the exhaust brackets on the 182!!

and

SXY not bad at all

That sodding exhaust. They replaced the centre section to solve a rattle but couldn't get it to fit correctly so had to replace the entire system in the end. I remember taking it back and pointing out that it was almost a foot off the rear bumper, they thought that was fine so I dragged them round to show them how the one in the showroom looked, that got it sorted.

I've still got some in car vids of the 182 from Spa.

The 182 only lost me a grand in 12 months motoring.

I'm sure the Cup will see the odd track day this year. Just not as many as the Trophy as it's a little costly to track.

Chocolate Bar™
good write up! love the number plate on your new car, best colour for the 197 imo

Lee

BMW M2C
My boss has just been moaning about how I've had 4 new cars in the time he's had 1. We both got made redundant in 2003 and spent our redundancy on brand new cars as we had company cars at the time.

He bought a new 03 plate 307 HDi, which is now on over 120k and just passed it's MOT. Obviously I've had the Clios.

I've just worked out how much I've lost in depreciation compared to how much it's cost him for new clutch/gearbox and what the car is worth now etc. etc.

Over the first 3 Clios I lost roughly £9k in depreciation. Not bad at all over all 3 cars when you consider the mileage I put on all of them.