ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio 172 Cup Review

Had the car about a fortnight now. Thought id write a few words for my website. So for those who are interested.... comments welcome !

Cheers

Jon.

Picked up the Renault Clio Cup as I needed a run around to replace the Elise with. As my 111s at the higher end of the S1 price scale and demand for good examples of this model being high, I decided to part with it after just 3 months ownership. Only the fact that I got the same money that I paid for it softened the blow- and with S2 residuals free falling into and below the 16k price bracket I think I did well. With nigh on 15.5k in my back pocket the question was what to do next. I needed a few thou to sort out bits and bobs so my limit was around 13k.

It’s not a measly amount of money to play around with but I was seriously stumped on what to do. I test drove a Honda Civic Type R knowing fine well that I wouldn’t like it – in the same way that I didn’t like my Honda S2000. Hate the VTEC delivery.

Sportscar wise – there was not much around. An earlier standard Elise? I couldn’t possibly having owned the finest example 111s around. VX – never really thought at the time. I was eyeing a 182 Clio up in Blue with the white stripes but at 13.5k – for a hot hatch – no chance – too expensive. These people who buy R32 Golfs/Focus RS and similar 20k price bracket hot hatches are morons. 5k will pick you up a Clio Williams which will do just as good a job if not better – this was my thinking – but couldn’t find a good one.

Ok. A quick scan through EVO and I was down to 2 cars. Alfa Romeo GTV and a Clio Cup. Both prices under 10k and both looking extremely good value. Head went over heart though and the Clio arrived with 900 miles on the clock and pretty much brand spankers.

First impressions – nice colour ! Kind of azure blue – seats are snug and blue detailing inside kind of williams-esque. All the controls are in the right place but nothing looks much different from the Clio’s of 10 years ago apart from the previously ridiculous position of the stereo. . Driving position felt too high until I found the seat height adjust and steering column adjust! The quality of the interior isn’t great compared to the Civic but it’s a cheaper car to start with. A criticism of the gear change position is that it felt too far away. Maybe it’s just my seating position though – but I have missed 3rd gear a number of times now. Back seats are nigh on useless – especially with the Cups lowered suspension and some adult back seat passengers. Erm..No air con – I can live with that – but no sunroof either??

It feels small and compact – far more in proportion than the silly high sided Golfs and Focus’s. The 2.0 litre engine sounded very nice and acceleration was poky. Coming off the first roundabout, handling felt very nice and tidy but trying to exit on full power as you would on a RWD car was not possible. Well it was but the force just pushed against the front tyres causing understeer until you started to straighten up. What did I expect from a FWD car though? Surprised at the acceleration to be honest – not quite in the 111s league but was probably on par with a standard Elise. Could do with an extra 30bhp to be honest. Gearing felt good but the needle on the rev counter was not going up quick enough! And the revs had a few little flat spots. As I said a bit more power would be needed – probably an air filter and exhaust along with a re-map to bring it all together.

As I got more familiar with the car I tried to exploit the handling. Rave reviews from EVO gave me the confidence to throw it around without too much worry! Handling is good if you are committed and have full concentration. There felt like too much ‘bounce’ in the suspension but this may be too critical having come from a spine breaking Elise. But for B road driving and quick change of direction from left to right to left – the handling just leant too much to drive the car with serious pace. But as I said before, if you are committed and don’t mind having one of the rear wheels off the ground then fine but sometimes I just want to relax and drive quick without having a sweat on. The ‘lean’ of the suspension is highlighted even further when breaking hard. Weight transfer from back to front can be quite scary – more so with the absence of ABS. Long sweeping 90 mph corners also demand too much of the chassis whereas he Elise would have another 30% up its sleeve. The Mini Cooper S chassis felt so much more composed and capable. This came as a surprise having read numerous magazine reviews that raved about it. Stiffer springs to order maybe?

All in all, I’m very happy with it. I think the original asking price of 13k would have kept me away but for a sub 10k car on the second hand market – it’s very good value - quick, capable and exploitable in the right hands. Down right dangerous in the wrong ones!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Lack or Aircon - Was an option on later cups
No Sunroof - To retain body rigidity (sunroofs = body flex)

Overall, nice review.

Cheap way of improving suspension, is the eibach spring kit, about 110quid I think, do a search on here.

Youre not missing out on the sunroof. Its cack.

It would be hard to be nice to the Clio compared with an Elise, so can understand what you mean.

Nice review :)

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by malbon on 15 August 2004

Eibach here we come then. Thanks for that.

Any issues with warranty by doing this?
From my experience with my dealer they didnt mind 4 pot brakes, coilovers, exhaust etc. Obviously if a suspension associated problem arose, it would be your problem!

-Rob

172cup_nut - I know Ive got issues with letting the Elise go ! This is just my was of dealing with it :)

Rob - your right. I tried not to compare the 2 as its totally unfair - its like when I talk with Boxster S owners in the pub and they have a dig about the elise - yes - but you paid 48k - I paid 16k ! now go away.

THe Clio drives far better than the Type R though if thats any consolation ! and it definately has the legs on the Cooper S

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

The 3rd gear position is definately different! I had a 306 which was a straight run to third, but on the Clio, it kind of goes in and arcs towards the driver...Im getting there now, with only the occasional miss of the gear!

All in all though, good car for little money...smiles per pound value is outstanding!

Eiback pro springs are the way to go and an aftermarket air filter will sort out anyflat spots. After 2000 miles the car should feel considerably quicker and then again with every mile put on!!

Jon you elise refugee. I bought mine last week as well.

Jeff/ derby is after one maybe. Looks like bcbss is moving en mass here :)

Do you fancy doing a walshy day?

Brazo - Im hoping so !

Jason - Jeff e-mailed me for a test drive so well get him involved too !

Not sure about a walshy day for this FWDer. If you go too fast you just understeer into the curb ! well see though !

VaVa

Nice review there m8. I know exactly what you mean about thrid gear. Adjust your seat to where you feel comfy and realise that you have to sit up to put it in third.. lol... Ive crunched that cog more than once....

High speed corners can be a bit hairy in the Clio too.... but thats not really their forte, I dont suppose. I find my 172 almost scary on a less than perfect surface if Im trying to push on at speed. I nearly always get out with white knuckles after a bit of a blast from trying to keep the damn thing from torque steering or tramlining me into the nearest hedge. Maybe thats why I like it..... Lets just say its not a car thats easy to drive fast!!

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 16 August 2004

I nearly always get out with white knuckles after a bit of a blast from trying to keep the damn thing from torque steering or tramlining me into the nearest hedge. Maybe thats why I like it.....
Totally agree with you - the more effort you put in, the more rewarding the car is. Hanging on, and needing to hang on, is half the fun. Ace, ace, ace, ace, ace....

Good review by the way.

Good review m8 nice to know im not the only one that has made a pr4t out of myself when flooring it and missing that 3rd gear!!!!!

Get it on the motorway i took mine for the first time this weekend for a good run and had it up to 140mph on the clock and the car still felt very controlable, if it wasnt for the girlfriend saying im scared im sure it had a few more mph in it!!!!!!!

I love the Cup!!!!!!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

im finding after having the Eibach Pros fitted a few weeks now that the car is easier to drive at speed through corners, but the ride seems to have gotten quite bouncy and a bit harsher. All in all though, the advantage of the better handling makes them worthwile.

Quote: Originally posted by malbon on 16 August 2004

Brazo - Im hoping so !

Jason - Jeff e-mailed me for a test drive so well get him involved too !

Not sure about a walshy day for this FWDer. If you go too fast you just understeer into the curb ! well see though !
Jeff must be after as many drives as he can get then cos i had an email from him as well.

I just wan to get it on track to push it and find out what it can do / how neutral it is. Ive read the 182 can oversteer hence wanting to have a go (and buying it) - plus the last FWD car I had was my elan SE so I want to get back in to it - but if it just ploughs on in an understeery way I think Ill be selling it.

Ollie off the BBS may also be up for it as well (who got the 182).

J