ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My blowers have blown!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Noticed yesterday my heating/cooling ain't doing jack. All the buttons and lighting etc. is fine, just nothing coming out at any speed or temperature. Just searched on here and found 3 threads where people had the same problem... but unfortunately none of them had solutions!

So where do I start with this one? Those threads all said their fuses etc. were fine, so I presume mine will be too (not actually with the car right now to check)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
There's a man near you that will be able to plug it into clip and tell you exactly what's going on.
If your external temp sensor reading okay? If so I'd rule that out.
Blown air is another temp sensor as is internal cabin temp sensor (try another one of these if you have the facility)

Does the fan actually work?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I think the temperature is reading okay yeah.

Do you mean can I actually hear the fan or feel neutral air coming out? Nope... absolutely nothing, totally silent and no feeling whatsoever from any vent even when set to maximum.

At least it isn't too cold at the moment!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Does sound like the resistor pack as the transistor in the pack is what controls the fan speed. It can have various symptoms including no fan at all, fan stuck on full and fan only works on full.

The fan setting is controlled from the climate panel buts it's a direct connection to the fan motor so I highly doubt the wiring between the the two has broken down for all fan speed settings! Try a resistor pack and go from there buddy

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Nice one guys. Is there a fitting guide for that above part? I have no idea where it goes lol...

Theres a repair guide in the guides section under Repairing Climate Control Resistor Pack (Clio II)

I wasnt saying have a go at fixing it, although if ur good with a soldiering iron it wont be that difficult to do. I was just pointing the op in the direction so he's got an idea of how to test it and take it out to replace.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I wasnt saying have a go at fixing it, although if ur good with a soldiering iron it wont be that difficult to do. I was just pointing the op in the direction so he's got an idea of how to test it and take it out to replace.
Sorry matey my comment probably came across as blunt but I didn't mean it to! The soldering is actually very easy but it's making sure the transistor has sufficient purchase on the heatsink which is the difficult part. You could probably use some thermally conductive glue but I had to do mine five times so in the end just got a new one.

Nw m8 i wasn't clear on my first post as to why i posted.
I had to do mine in dec cus my blowers wasn't working and ive not had a problem with it so far.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Isn't that what was posted above but for £10 more lol? I'd rather just replace than bother with a repair for that price.

However this is now the least of my worries!

To repair is a couple of quid at most thats why i went down that route first. ive got a couple of spare transistors just incase i got the same problem as GrahamS.
I did find u needed a decent(ish) soldiering iron to melt the old soldier of though.

SC12748 3 In Stock 2.46 MOSFET, N, TO-220; Continuous Drain Curr HUF75339P3 FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR

Thats wt i paid

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
To repair is a couple of quid at most thats why i went down that route first. ive got a couple of spare transistors just incase i got the same problem as GrahamS.
I did find u needed a decent(ish) soldiering iron to melt the old soldier of though.

I've got a right pikey soldering iron, Maplin's own jobbie :smile: cheers though.

Clio 182 arctic
Isn't that what was posted above but for £10 more lol? I'd rather just replace than bother with a repair for that price.

However this is now the least of my worries!

Could well be the same. Mine was more of a 'I have actual experience of this exact item' from this seller and I know it works, rather than just finding the cheapest on ebay to prove a point.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Finally got round to replacing this today... one of the easiest repairs I've ever done! Cheers for all the help guys :)