ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My ast springs query. Rally boys helpfull

172 Cup Jenvey'd
Hello all.. I'm currently prepping my 172 to do some single venue rallies so due to buying the car with the suspension fitted already I was unsure on what springs were fitted as they are very stiff!

Turns out I have these.. On the front

DSC_2077_zpsec1977c4.gif

DSC_2078_zpsfa7ce73d.gif

These on the rear along with a whiteline arb.

DSC_2080_zps0a5fc8f9.gif

So I think the fronts are HR springs
But only 285lb/in??? They're solid!

Rears eibach ast's 230lb/in which do feel abit softer..

So Im wondering what a good starting point would be regarding the springs, also running a 9inch spring instead of the 7's currently fitted would be a good move as the current ones have marks of binding..

Cheers for any help.

Ph1 daily & ph2 race
I've got 550lbs all round ATM... I'm only on circuit though. I've also got some 700lbs rears and 450lbs fronts.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Rally wise my Reigers are 60nm and 30nm but think rear may need to be 40nm. This is approx 370 front and 185 rear but the 40nm would be 245ish.

172 Cup Jenvey'd
Interesting, any idea why the front is solid? As is, open door.. Stand on the sill and bounce and the only movement is in the tyre walls? I got a feeling the springs are too short. Will try some 9" springs instead of the 7"s currently fitted on the front

I'm not sure if this helps but if they are Eibach springs I think the 180 is the spring compressed in kg per mm 180 would = 18.0 x 55.88 which would convert to 1001lbs, the lads at Blink told me this when they were working out the numbers on my rear Bilstein coils for me.
The 55-88 converts kg to lbs if I remember correctly, the 50 may be the internal spring diameter.
Regards Russ.......

Last edited:
  172 Cup Jenvey'd
Hmm would help if I knew exactly what make they were and not guess at HR.. They certainly do feel like 1000lb springs

They won't be 1000ib front springs if the rears are only 250ib

From my experience the first number is the spring length, second number is the rate in nm/mm and the 3rd number is internal diameter of the spring :) Can't see a 3rd number though for the front springs?

172 Cup Jenvey'd
Still none the wiser, all I know is the back feels decent, the front is ridiculous for road/rally, I imagine very good for track, just dont want to buy some circa 275lb 9/10 inch springs to find out its still stiff but surely it shouldnt be. Il take the risk

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
To match 250lbs rear springs get 60nm or 350/375lbs up front (you will not need any stiffer for a Rallycar), i do think they are 1000lbs (same a cup racer which i have driven on the road and would feedback exactly the same as you have). Only way is to buy some and try and get them rate tested.

172 Cup Jenvey'd
To match 250lbs rear springs get 60nm or 350/375lbs up front (you will not need any stiffer for a Rallycar), i do think they are 1000lbs (same a cup racer which i have driven on the road and would feedback exactly the same as you have). Only way is to buy some and try and get them rate tested.

I thought the given idea on clios was to have stiffer springs on the rear? Such as perhaps 400lb rear with 325lb ish fronts?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I thought the given idea on clios was to have stiffer springs on the rear? Such as perhaps 400lb rear with 325lb ish fronts?

Depends on preference but the rule of thumb generally to have a neutral handling car is to match weight distribution front to rear. Car with 50/50 weight distribution should in theory have same weight springs all round if like a clio its 60/40 then thats what you should be looking at. Cup cars are 1000lbs front and 400lbs rear so follow this principle. For Rallying the renaultsport recommendation follow the same rule with 350lbs front and similar rear but the rears is near 2-1 ratio.

Hope that makes sense but this is how the top companies work it Reiger / Ohlins etc

I asume you mean rear lbs is std position so need to apply 2.1 ratio, so 325 front and 200 rear. Sounds about right to start. If shocks location are 1.1 ratio then 400 rear is cup racer hard and a no no for rallying.

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Rally Car
Depends on preference but the rule of thumb generally to have a neutral handling car is to match weight distribution front to rear. Car with 50/50 weight distribution should in theory have same weight springs all round if like a clio its 60/40 then thats what you should be looking at. Cup cars are 1000lbs front and 400lbs rear so follow this principle. For Rallying the renaultsport recommendation follow the same rule with 350lbs front and similar rear but the rears is near 2-1 ratio.

Hope that makes sense but this is how the top companies work it Reiger / Ohlins etc

I asume you mean rear lbs is std position so need to apply 2.1 ratio, so 325 front and 200 rear. Sounds about right to start. If shocks location are 1.1 ratio then 400 rear is cup racer hard and a no no for rallying.

Is that asphalt spec?

172 Cup Jenvey'd

Good read, the rears are together with the dampers, 1:1 ratio 230lb so thats fairly stiff.