ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Arctic Monkey's - 172 Cup & 182 Tubby

Soooo, I've jumped into the Clio scene with both feet and I'm hooked already. Such an awesome pocket rocket of a car.

Will keep it brief for now (Couple of pics and some info) and will update as and when I get jobs sorted. Two cars one thread :up:

172 Cup - 53 plate 88k - having belts, dephaser pulley, alternator and full service and MOT - she is a peach and will be the street toy.
182 T - 54 plate 86k - currently being stripped and prepped for some big bhp. She is going to be a track monster, hope to have it completed for the start of the good weather 2018, can't wait!!

84198C7D-F210-4331-B7CE-087591CE8828.jpeg

903B95A8-FEAF-484D-9AB5-F8674FD79EFD.jpeg

AC4A6C53-99E1-4A92-9A94-23BB16A4DC7C.jpeg

172 Turbo
Interesting to see where you go with the 182, imo it doesn't need any more BHP but does need handling (and reliability) mods to make it a good track day car

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a shame to strip such a nice example for a track car, but as we all know once you bolt a turbo on nobody wants to pay the cars true value. Better than breaking it up and @Mr Plums has a new love already!
It'll be a good UK version of The Missile. Have a search for that thread @Pinchy Larou it's a good one.

172 Turbo
Chasing bhp is really pointless in a Clio, you'll end up like this guy who can't use the power.

Having been in Clio's of various power, 230/280/300 and 400 on track, anything above what this car currently has can't be used properly.

Rather than chasing power, fit a diff, a set of ASTs and strip it and have a cracking car.

Keep the body panels standard tho! Sleeperish is the absolute best (excluding cannards or possibly wing)

Looking great btw!

The plan was/is sleeper but "The missile" looks the nuts....!!

Decisions decisions.......:yum:

Thanks mate, cant wait to see how she turns out

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Chasing bhp is really pointless in a Clio, you'll end up like this guy who can't use the power.

Having been in Clio's of various power, 230/280/300 and 400 on track, anything above what this car currently has can't be used properly.

Rather than chasing power, fit a diff, a set of ASTs and strip it and have a cracking car.

Whilst I agree that fitting a diff, ASTs and stripping it should be the way forward first.

It’s utter b****cks to say you can’t use any more power than they have already. Mine puts its 250bhp down whenever I want, no dramas or problems whatsoever.

Probably helped by the diff, ASTs, handling mods and various other things it has first 😂

OP - welcome along. Both look lovely. I’d mod the second one bit by bit, with track work in between “mod bursts”. Whilst getting more power is fun, chasing big power will mean you will reach a point of “diminishing returns”.

Thanks for the welcome @Cub. :up:

I hear you, the 182 has a build plan of 4-5months, want to build in reliability so will not be cutting any corners and have severe OCD's so it'll be done right or not at all.

I absolutely love the rawness of the Cup, takes me right back! These cars are the last of the great hot hatches. Can not think of any thing else that comes close (IMO)

Not after a return on the turbo car. Thats what I bought the Cup for :wink:

172 Turbo
It's utter b****cks to say you can’t use any more power than they have already. Mine puts its 250bhp down whenever I want, no dramas or problems whatsoever.
This one was 285bhp, which is plenty and usable. Once you go over 300bhp, you end up not being able to use the full power of the car unless you stick to somewhere like Bedford and it's never ending straight. Just look at Dan Potters video's as an example.

Its not so much the hp increase that can be the issue its the torque, more so how its delivered. But i do agree more is not always better especially in a front crawler on track.

172 Turbo
The O2M is the more popular choice but it's the cost that puts a lot off, Gary Spooner - The Clio Man on Facebook has a conversion for sale today.

However, by the time you've done that and spent a lot, you could've just swapped out the Clio engine to a Megane engine & R26 box.

Haha not much knowledge as i have no idea what an 02J conversion is. Maybe a vag lump? If turbo charged then the same principle applies.

Do you have much track experience?

Its a Golf 5speed box mated to the F4R a friend mentioned has been done, sounded like a good idea so will do some more digging :up:

The O2M is the more popular choice but it's the cost that puts a lot off, Gary Spooner - The Clio Man on Facebook has a conversion for sale today.

However, by the time you've done that and spent a lot, you could've just swapped out the Clio engine to a Megane engine & R26 box.

I'm not on bookface.

Naaaaar happy to play with what I've got. Any one can go buy a faster engine/car, I'd rather build one.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This one was 285bhp, which is plenty and usable. Once you go over 300bhp, you end up not being able to use the full power of the car unless you stick to somewhere like Bedford and it's never ending straight. Just look at Dan Potters video's as an example.

Ah. Didn’t realise it was already running what i’d call “big power”. Sorry!

I agree. If it is running 285, little point chasing more.