ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Turbo

172 Turbo
Had no intention of buying another Clio as was enjoying my 172 Cup and then this came up cheap. With a mountain of invoices and work done by ED I booked the day off and did a round journey of 6 hours in the Cup to see it.

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Plans are to move over my suspension, diff and Sabelt wheel and it'll be perfect.

172 Turbo
So today it happened, started. breaking AD52BHP and fitting the trick bits to the turbo and the cheaper bits to the Cup

Only got the rear done today

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Hadn't considered how long it would take as doubling up each job!

172 Turbo
Rare trip out today to finally get the car aligned properly, went for STS in Bedford.

21414688_10157054891378868_3725338717074744731_o.jpg

Car goes really well now and is a lot of fun. Hoping to squeeze in a another trip up to Oulton before xmas

172 Turbo
Took a trip over to Surrey Rolling Road for the morning kindly organised by @TimR26
IMG_3020.JPG

Car ran just under the power it ran when it was mapped at Engine Dynamics so good to see all is still well with the conversion.
IMG_3022.JPG

The car is up for sale as our third child has arrived and I'm unsure how much use it'll get so I took some better pictures of it.
DSCF0371.JPG
DSCF0367.JPG
DSCF0368.JPG
DSCF0370.JPG

Next trip out is some track time at Pistonheads Sunday Service next weekend :smile:

Attachments

• DSCF0367.JPG
    DSCF0367.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
  • DSCF0368.JPG
    DSCF0368.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • DSCF0370.JPG
    DSCF0370.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 173

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
I went as well, it was a good day. Nice power! Where is the Pistonheads Sunday service? Cheers

172 Turbo
I went as well, it was a good day. Nice power! Where is the Pistonheads Sunday service? Cheers
Thanks. Silverstone, but it's reserve list now.

@Mr. Plums Cost a lot more to go and build one, also priced at a price that reflects the spec against other low boosts for sale that don't have £1500 gearboxes.

172 Turbo

A video of a terribly slow lap at Silverstone, booked late track time and didn't have a chance to swap from road pads & tyres. But lots of turbo noise for your enjoyment.

172 Turbo
Are you keeping it now?
In all honestly, I have no idea. If someone came up and said here is £5200 they could have it as I could break it for that. I REALLY want a Megane 250/265/275, but I have no use for a second car as it doesn't get used enough to justify so having another £2000-12000 invested in a car isn't wise, especially with a baby in the house.

I was tempted by a Leon Cupra lease hence the eBay advert, but that would mean the end of trackdays and the removal of £250 a month from our family fun budget.

The Clio makes a lot of sense perhaps it needs better suspension, you can hear the passenger tyre being scrubbed in the video above, but it owes me nothing, costs very little to run and can happily live in the garage for months on end.

172 Turbo
Sold the white SD cage.

Left car in the garage until April, moted it and bought a PMS Shifter.

Bought a black SD cage and some Corbeau XL Clubsports in June.

Car did 125 miles between MOT and early August came back from holiday and decided to get rid, sold the cage, sold the clubsports, agreed a sale on the shifter with stripping the car and putting it back to standard as payment.

Then @Martin. messaged along the lines of "Still got the turbo? Fancy Brands?" At first it looked fully booked, then at 1.20 on Saturday morning I'm sat in the nursery with our baby and decide to look and there's space.

IMG_3308[1].JPG

IMG_3312[1].JPG

Martin's epic 182 in the foreground.
IMG_3319[1].JPG

The car performance is still way above my talents and whilst it was for sale I got fed up of hearing that people were "looking for a track car" when they posted on Facebook that they were looking to spend £5k on a track car. As it's obviously not a track car as I've not ruined it by ripping out the interior and bolting some cheap harnesses to a random point in the back or fitted a stupid wing on the back.

However, here it is clearly being used as a track car, with the very helpful @GrahamS providing tips

So I decided to keep it, even if it lives in the garage with little use, hopefully the next year will give me more of a chance to use it.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That feeling of boost is seriously addictive, loved going for a spin in it!

Hopefully that ph1 shaft cures the juddering.

Was a very fun evening. Hopefully we can do a proper day next time and I can bring my car!

172 Turbo
Awaits the next post of....

I just bought some new bucket seats and harnesses, bought a new cage and PMS shifter!

Still got the shifter! Had intended to swap it for the guy to put it back to standard.

Only plans are fit the shifter, Sabelt wheel and oil cooler. Perhaps change the B14s for something else but that can wait.

Agree Martin, the amount of panic braking I did going over Paddock Hill was ridiculous!

Graham, it certainly drives differently to my old Cup, although I miss the drama and hammer of ITBs!

172 Turbo
So winter came and went. The PMS shifter, oil cooler and Sabelt wheel are now fitted. Agreed a sale on the car and they never turned up, so I booked Brands again.

But, early on, cold tyres and erm...

Doing well, we're up to 981 miles for the year!

172 Turbo
@incy-spider in that it should be the opposite way?

Well, it had to happen. It's finally broken! Could smell exhaust fumes a few weeks ago with the a/c on and after Brands it's developed a huge blow from the manifold to turbo gasket. A nasty job and one I'm going to leave to Alex White, sadly he's booked up until May. So it will be off the road a few weeks.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
@incy-spider in that it should be the opposite way?

Well, it had to happen. It's finally broken! Could smell exhaust fumes a few weeks ago with the a/c on and after Brands it's developed a huge blow from the manifold to turbo gasket. A nasty job and one I'm going to leave to Alex White, sadly he's booked up until May. So it will be off the road a few weeks.

Yeah! That’s what I mean [emoji23][emoji23]

Lovely job, get the manifold and turbo surfaces machined flat if you can and dump the gasket...
64aae07b261db91ca70f819a8f626940.jpg
a5a90d91e1a99a960afb3741dece374d.jpg

I’ve also made a turbo damper from the manifold mounts to the head to the top of the turbo, can send you pics of it tomorrow if interested.. it’s worked so far on mine, not come loose again and it’s done spa and Nür.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I’m a little sad, this was the only one I knew of that hadn’t had problems.

Not really a deal breaker is it?

This is the only issue I’ve had with mine in the past also, not the best design having a heavy lump of cast iron hanging off of 4 bolts that are subjected to stupid heat and engine vibrations while having an exhaust system hanging off of that![emoji23]

Hence my need to make a brace/damper which so far has proved very good!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah! That’s what I mean [emoji23][emoji23]

Lovely job, get the manifold and turbo surfaces machined flat if you can and dump the gasket...View attachment 1408804View attachment 1408805

I’ve also made a turbo damper from the manifold mounts to the head to the top of the turbo, can send you pics of it tomorrow if interested.. it’s worked so far on mine, not come loose again and it’s done spa and Nür.

adfac9a6238b4c17f402e42588d4c9fb.jpg
b7914d34704fe1bd9db12c1858fb8477.jpg
6484b62b083534152cf50aa0b721e5ed.jpg

Here you go mate, ‘k nuts’ are very good too by the way.

172 Turbo
And it's gone to a new home, a fun toy, but one that wasn't getting used enough to justify keeping it.

Fixed, MOTed and sold.

End of an era after 5 years with a Clio.