ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 147 gta...

I was going to ask about the handling, my mate had a 2000 gtv v6 for a while, imo that car was very nose heavy:dapprove: I had a fiat coupe 20vt plus at the same time (they are supposed to handle badly too) and imo the fiat handled so much better (well for how I drive, which isn't silly) mine had uprated suspension on it though.
The dude I got my car from actually got a gta next, I never got round to asking him about the car though:(

Is the gta quite nose heavy ?? Do any of them come with sat nav at all ? (my old boy quite likes them too)

You cant say it isnt nose heavy but it isnt a problem that renders the car a no go. Evo magazine (if you respect their opinion) pitted it against the Focus RS and chose the GTA, everyone is entitled to an opinion but the car isnt a duffer.

Sat nav was a not so common pricey option, system is a bit dated but has always got me where I needed to go, nice to have the directions on the screen and embedded in the dials. can see it in pic of mine below.

dash.jpg

dull-gta.jpg

I'm liking your car a lot :D Good stuff about the nav, i'll let him know when I see him - he will be thinking of getting one now :cool:

Trophy #490
147 GTA's are one of the coolest cars on the road, regardless of cost. Love everything about them, such a good looking car. One of my girlfriends mates used to have a red one before she swapped it for a Cooper S! She didn't appreciate it though. Only had one drive in it, but I've been smitten with 'em ever since. The noise is brilliant, gorgeous interior and they do handle well IMO.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
OK I must admit the handing isnt as good as a clio but its not that type of car in my eyes... Its more of a comfortable cruiser thats capable of comfortably keeping up with most other hot hatch's on the road.

I love it for many reasons,
The sound of arguably the bet mass produced v6 is awesome!:D
Its probaby the rarest modern day hot hatch. (especially in nuvola white)
The Looks!:cool:
The look of envy in every other alfas eyes. (most alfa owners are petrol heads):approve:
The price! (you could get a good one for 8k 04 plate and spend a grand on suspention and a q2 and it would transform the car!:eek:

And if your bothered about a clio being able to go round a corner slightly quicker, uprate the suspention.. and diff...
With the q2 diff i have fitted on my car it would definatley perform better rond that track!! (just look at the alfa owner forums) no loss of traction through powering through the corners....
Yes it is nose heavy but only like you would expect... and yes there was a smartnav option but pretty rare.

And sorry you cant compare the GTA with a saxo (who it was )thats like comparing a RS4 with a saph Cossie :rasp:

MCS R56
OK I must admit the handing isnt as good as a clio but its not that type of car in my eyes... Its more of a comfortable cruiser thats capable of comfortably keeping up with most other hot hatch's on the road.

I love it for many reasons,
The sound of arguably the bet mass produced v6 is awesome!:D
Its probaby the rarest modern day hot hatch. (especially in nuvola white)
The Looks!:cool:
The look of envy in every other alfas eyes. (most alfa owners are petrol heads):approve:
The price! (you could get a good one for 8k 04 plate and spend a grand on suspention and a q2 and it would transform the car!:eek:

And if your bothered about a clio being able to go round a corner slightly quicker, uprate the suspention.. and diff...
With the q2 diff i have fitted on my car it would definatley perform better rond that track!! (just look at the alfa owner forums) no loss of traction through powering through the corners....
Yes it is nose heavy but only like you would expect... and yes there was a smartnav option but pretty rare.

And sorry you cant compare the GTA with a saxo (who it was )thats like comparing a RS4 with a saph Cossie :rasp:

I'm not disrespecting the car, it's fantastic in terms of pace and looks. However, my comparison with the Saxo is relevant, as it showed me where the GTA falls down, it's weight. It's not that big a car but it feels very big which I dont like (I also didn't like the MPG!). I would have it over the Focus but only because the interior in the RS is just comical. It certainly had plenty of road presence and looks the business in white.

Don't diss the Saxo.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Lovely colour.

My old neighbour still have theirs from new in 2003. Also has a GTA plate on it.

No major problems, had the masive caliper upgrade.

Immobilser messed up a few times and the exhausts plating lasted about a year.

Drank alot of oil running it in also.

MPG seems to be about the same as my 225 around town really, a little worse on a run.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
I'm not disrespecting the car, it's fantastic in terms of pace and looks. However, my comparison with the Saxo is relevant, as it showed me where the GTA falls down, it's weight. It's not that big a car but it feels very big which I dont like (I also didn't like the MPG!). I would have it over the Focus but only because the interior in the RS is just comical. It certainly had plenty of road presence and looks the business in white.

Don't diss the Saxo.

I understand your comments gaz and fair doos. But i still dont think there in the same class. It is a heavy car about 1360kg i think but as its got a big v6 lump thats probably up 100kg over the 4 pot straight away.
The saxo is typically grouped against lupo gti's, fiesta's, 106's etc...(supermini's) and the alfa in with the r32's, focus rs's, clio v6's etc.
im not dissing th saxo... like i am not dissing the cossie... both cars hold there own in with theium cars with higher premiums.. :S....

Lovely colour.

My old neighbour still have theirs from new in 2003. Also has a GTA plate on it.

No major problems, had the masive caliper upgrade.

Immobilser messed up a few times and the exhausts plating lasted about a year.

Drank alot of oil running it in also.

MPG seems to be about the same as my 225 around town really, a little worse on a run.

Thanks mine has the 330mm caliper upgrade too but with ebc pads and 40 groove discs.:approve:
Not used anyoil yet but then i have only done 750 miles.. but its one thing you have to keep an eye on. Really suprised about it beig as economic as the 225 round town though...

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300

that looks sweet, i wanted the 18" wheels. I am gonna get some bigger wheels and uprated suspention next but credit crunch is saying no! 18" oz spuerturismos in matt black probably or ultimately 19" bbs ch's but £1800 a bit dear!

that looks sweet, i wanted the 18" wheels. I am gonna get some bigger wheels and uprated suspention next but credit crunch is saying no! 18" oz spuerturismos in matt black probably or ultimately 19" bbs ch's but £1800 a bit dear!

Cheers, yours likewise.

Seen you on AO, the factory 18's are a lovely wheel, worth keeping an eye out for. CH's stunning, and stunningly expensive !

S2 106 GTI
Things are good gib.. what about you ?? you got the leon?? gonna have a wee meet up in 4 weeks or so think its on a thread by p4ers soewhere...[/quote]

Yeah should be a good one - yeah got a LCR nice motor but looking to sell now due to house buying and also hopefully buying a new car.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Things are good gib.. what about you ?? you got the leon?? gonna have a wee meet up in 4 weeks or so think its on a thread by p4ers soewhere...

Yeah should be a good one - yeah got a LCR nice motor but looking to sell now due to house buying and also hopefully buying a new car.[/quote]

what?? your getting a new house and new car?? :eek: no one told you theres a credit crunch ;)

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
My dad has had alfas over the last 15-20 yrs and not experienced any issues. he is on his 3rd now and not one has broken down or had any major issues, and he drives them relitavely hard.
The ony issues are premature cambelt failures.. easy enough.. get the cambelt done earlier than its actually "required"
The V6's diff's dont tend to be strong enough and have been known to blow, so i uprated mine to a q2 which is not only stronger it transforms the cars ability to apply the power to the road. £500
Alfa cant seem to shake off the reputation unfortunately.. I mean vauxhalls sri diesel for instance and saabs 150bhp diesel egines are actually supplied by alfa, but i dont think people worry about the reliability issues of those cars... And now alfas 1.9jtdm push out 170 bhp.. pretty impressive i recon

Hi folks, can anyone tell me the width across the door mirrors (the cars widest point) I've google'd up etc & got, 1764mm across (no mention of mirrors though)

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
hi cat the 1764 mm is the width from the flared wheel arches.
its 1890mm from mirror to mirror.... is your dad seeing if it will fit in the garage??

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
so is your dad seriously interested?? I have viewed 2 which are on the autotrader, if you want to know about them let me know..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, just w/o off my 172 and considering a 147 GTA. After my insurance and mod sale should have about 5k and happy to put in another 2-3k for a GTA.

Looking for one around 7-8k wondering if this is reasonable as the ones on PH are all over the show in price.

Also, what are they like to service? Megger expensive? Every 12k?

Am I best to get one with the Q2 diff also as I hear they go frequently?

What is the fuel like? I do mostly m-way and extra urban so would expect to see a good return on the fuel but wondering what you get.

Also, any other comments.

Would be good to hear your comments!

Hi mate, just w/o off my 172 and considering a 147 GTA. After my insurance and mod sale should have about 5k and happy to put in another 2-3k for a GTA.

Looking for one around 7-8k wondering if this is reasonable as the ones on PH are all over the show in price.

Also, what are they like to service? Megger expensive? Every 12k?

Am I best to get one with the Q2 diff also as I hear they go frequently?

What is the fuel like? I do mostly m-way and extra urban so would expect to see a good return on the fuel but wondering what you get.

Also, any other comments.

Would be good to hear your comments!

fuel lol on my test drive taking it sensible ish average of 18 and dipped down to 8 when having fun

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Surely not that low. Someone I internet know has one and gets 32mpg when driving normally and 18mpg when caneing it.

Italian 3.2 V6
8mpg.... are u for real!?? lol.. ino its Italian but its no F40! lol.

IIRC Jamie gets low to mid 20's on average...(thats combined) but im sure he will be along shortly to confirm it..

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
yep pm'd you back jamie...

i get 24 mpg average but motorway driving will see low 30's if you stick at 70-80 (i find that almost impossible lol)

some lads have had over 370 miles to a 60L tanks on motorway journeys...