ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My £100 88' Scirocco 1.8 Scala

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Re: My £100 88' Scirocco 1.8 Scala UPDATE

So finally got it home on Saturday afternoon and was going out for a meal for my grans bday so had to leave it :( The next day got up nice and early (with the missus - not impressed) and went over to my grans where it is being stored and got started on cleaning it. Was full of leaves etc in all the gaps and just general grime and crap. Also tree sap on roof and bonnet, recommendations for any good sap removers??

Here's some pics before the wash.

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

How bad the tyres are, both front ones like this back 2 not bad but flat
IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Even left some old tapes in, anyone a fan of 80s women???
IMG_1441.jpg

This is the biggest patch of rust on the whole car, passenger door.
IMG_1443.jpg

This is on the drivers door and the only other bit of rust showing through.
IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

So after the wash I had to some how get it in the garage and with the tyres being fooked wasn't going to be easy, or so I thought. The work vans rear bumper happened to be the exact same height as the front bumper, so with some old pillows and bed sheets I pushed it back in the garage. Was still awkward with no steering from front tyres being goosed.

Got it on stands etc and got wheels off and I had forgot to clean in the arches when I washed it, so blamed it on the missus. So they are covered in cobwebs etc. Had a look under the car and it looks pretty good. Suspension and brakes are a definite change and rubbers etc. Exhaust looks ok but will be getting new one at some point.

Put a battery in just to try get some life out of it. There was life, lights etc all work apart from passenger front indicator. Also turn the key was trying to start but I did have a battery from a 1litre micra on. LOL. Will hopefully have some life this weekend, fingers crossed. Might actually just need petrol.

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Will have another update this weekend.

Total Spent so far: £200

£150 for car
£50 recovery

Thanks

Kris

53 Clio's & counting
Make sure the first thing you do is change the cambelt, I bet it would last about ten seconds if you get the engine turning over.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Make sure the first thing you do is change the cambelt, I bet it would last about ten seconds if you get the engine turning over.

Didn't think of that to be honest, cheers for the reminder. Could have ended in tears.

Got 4 tyres for it today, from a farm :) love driving round the countryside and finding things. Some guy has loads of cars and a mountain of tyres, so with a smile and a good morning I got 4 tyres off him. All with great tread but all different. But its just so i can move it easier for know.

Also mentioned about what product is best for removing tree sap?? Any suggestions?? I have auto glym tar remover somewhere would that do??

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Bargain! These are cool as! Look forward to seeing what you do with it mate :)

And as for sap removal, try claying the car/or get some tardis on it. That takes alot of things off!

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Little words lots of pics

ANOTHER UPDATE.

Decided to strip the engine out clean the bay and clean up the engine and replace most parts. But only removed the alternator, engine oil and oil filter. Will be doing over a few weekends as I'm not clued up on anything but learning as I go along so doing it slowly. Also took seats out and clean interior and rear headlights and front headlights. Found a nice bit of rust as well. Luckily it hidden behind the plastic number plate so can be bodged to a good standard from my self.

Some more pics.

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

The rust, as said nothing major and not visible when parts on but will be treated and sorted.

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Pretty chuffed with the look of the carpets after a good vac and sweep. My mums having the living room and dining room at home re decorated and once its done shes getting a carpet cleaner so will be cleaning the seats with that.

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

Had a look on ebay and parts for the engine are farely cheap and theres a good selection of new replacement parts.

Absolutely love doing this I'm sure at some point I will be gaining more grey hairs and hating it but will be worth it in the end :D

Kris

BMW M135i
Whats it like for rust underneath? Get that carpet out and start poking around, I'd be surprised if thats the last of it. I'd ascertain this before spending any more time/effort on it. Need to get underneath too.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Underneath the car is good. Will get the bumpers off at weekend and see what's there. Had a poke about here and there and it does seem ok. Will see this weekend.