ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mx5 No.2 - Supercharged

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I bought this at the beginning of March and it hasn't exactly been plain sailing!

A 98 eunos with Mini Cooper s supercharger, roll bar, meister r coilovers and some other bits and bobs. No rust and generally in good condition.

I purchased it as I was looking for more power but still loved the way the mx5 drove, it was meant to be a very good condition car that was running a basic supercharger set up at about 175hp, and it was until I got to within 10 miles of my house on the way home from picking it up.

A coolant hose split and due to me being a muppet I didn't stop for a little way and the head gasket went. Not a good start!

Off it went to the guys at beaniesport
image.jpg

It turned out to be easier to just swap in a replacement engine and then look to rebuild the original engine myself at my leisure (plans are forming, this may include forged goodness)

image.jpg

Engine in and it came back to me with a slight squeal from the supercharger that I was advised was due to the belt being old and split.
This may not have been addressed soon enough and the belt chewed itself and came off. New belt went on eventually and all was well!

Still a couple of niggles, a clunk from the rear and a rather basic belt tensioner system that I hope to replace with an auto tensioner.
New HT leads are also on there way as one popped off my coil pack yesterday and made me think I'd broken it after racing a motorbike (and losing)

Once it's all running nicely I will be upgrading bits to make it as reliable as possible and a little more fast road/ track friendly. Things on the list are wilwood brakes, sticky rubber, spacers and Elise seats.

The main aim is to go out and drive it though. I need to do Wales at some point this year and maybe the Nurburgring as well. Plus I've booked the first track time for the car at CSS.

I'll get some good pics soon

image.jpg

image.jpg

VX220
my supercharged mk1 was a bit of a pain. It was running the BRP kit though. When it was running well it was great but it was always noisy and felt like it was going to blow up.

Listerine & Poledo
The blower install on the Mk2.5 I saw at the weekend was tidy and 220hp, but apparently it wasn't without a s**t-ton of grief.

Listerine & Poledo
WIlwoods are great, but completely overkill for this car.
Maybe a twin-charged, 300+ hp one, ok.

Otherwise, yes, Mk2.5 big brake upgrade is the way forward, at about 1/4 of the cost too.

You know, the brakes that Mazda developed, and put on the better 5s ;)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Stunning car mate, looks much better in the flesh. Now the sun is out I wish I had a convertible !

Listerine & Poledo
Stunning car mate, looks much better in the flesh. Now the sun is out I wish I had a convertible !
A ratty mk.1 costs less than changing the belts on a 182 fella.....just saying ;)

Of course, one that hasn't been perverted into a Tokyo Drift, Paul Walker JDM memorial special, that will cost more...but at least it wont be both sh1t and embarrassing :)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Lovely :smile:

Sorry to hear of it's teething problems, but looks to be on it's way to recovery!

Which track session you doing at CSS?

I've booked the afternoon, I didn't fancy to early a morning!

my supercharged mk1 was a bit of a pain. It was running the BRP kit though. When it was running well it was great but it was always noisy and felt like it was going to blow up.

I know what you mean, I'm always a little worried when driving it at the moment. Was yours an MP62? plus did it use an auto tensioner, if it did how did you find?

I understand what people are saying about the wilwoods, in a way i just want them as i want to have the best i can even though i know that sport brakes would probably suffice, i might end up saving the money and just get the sport ones.

It desperately needs spacers, the previous owner used to have them on and it made a huge difference to the look.

A ratty mk.1 costs less than changing the belts on a 182 fella.....just saying :wink:

Of course, one that hasn't been perverted into a Tokyo Drift, Paul Walker JDM memorial special, that will cost more...but at least it wont be both sh1t and embarrassing :smile:

Trying to find one at that price that isn't a complete rust pit is real difficult though :(

VX220
yeah it was the mp62 kit. I don't think i had the auto tensioner. I remember adjusting it a couple of times. It chewed through the first belt

If you can justify to yourself buying wilwoods, I would. Thinking of doing any track time? I had stock 1.8 brakes with axxis ultimate pads and they were excellent on my last track outing, but if I were going any quicker (more power) I'd like the reassurance that wilwoods give.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I am hoping to do a few track days a year when it's all running nicely yes. The wilwoods are noticeably better I take it?

Not necessarily in outright power (I mean you can lock up fairly easily with stock 1.8 brakes anyway) but they're a lot easier to modulate and they simply don't fade, whereas I found the stock brakes start to feel tired after a good few hard laps around Oulton - and I'm running standard power. This could be due to fluid, the discs, pads or more likely my driving style - but you just don't get it with the wilwoods and it does help your confidence. The only thing I'd say is that I'd recommend a master cylinder stopper as you can feel some flex in the firewall and while it's not an ideal solution, it does work. Only thing after that is an upgraded master cylinder, but they're not cheap!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Not necessarily in outright power (I mean you can lock up fairly easily with stock 1.8 brakes anyway) but they're a lot easier to modulate and they simply don't fade, whereas I found the stock brakes start to feel tired after a good few hard laps around Oulton - and I'm running standard power. This could be due to fluid, the discs, pads or more likely my driving style - but you just don't get it with the wilwoods and it does help your confidence. The only thing I'd say is that I'd recommend a master cylinder stopper as you can feel some flex in the firewall and while it's not an ideal solution, it does work. Only thing after that is an upgraded master cylinder, but they're not cheap!

Thanks, it's good to hear your thoughts about them on track. Master cylinder stoppers something I should pick up at some point.

When's it going on proper management?

Hopefully by the end of this year. It's not top of my list but it would be nice to sort out a steady idle, which seems to be nearly impossible on a supercharged car without proper management. I'll probably go mega squirt

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Went out in the car during lunch and gave it a proper drive through some nice B roads for the first time since I've owned it.

I hadn't really 'gelled' with the car up to now, and with all the problems I've had I was questioning whether I was right to buy it.

Those fears have now been addressed, it's Got areas to improve but it's hilarious to fly around at full chat with the supercharger whining away.

image.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
not blown your welds yet then :wink:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Look up the Voodoo 2 box as a replacement ECU.
EDIT 2: Have you bought those Mk2.5 brakes yet

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I'm not sure it's quite JDM enough to blow the welds :tongueclosed: Belt squeaks on start up as it basically doesn't have a tensioner but apart from that it's all good.

I've not looked into anything that involves spending money at the moment. I need to sell the other car first. Sold my spoiler I bought for that last night :disrelieved:

Listerine & Poledo
I was going to ask about the suspension you had on that Mk.1
But it was going to take all manner of faff, which i couldn't be doing with.

If only you had some mk2.5 body trim spare :(

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Mk1 - meister r
Mk2 - spax

Yeah I can't help you with 2.5 bits. Unless you want me to have your brakes :smile: yours is a sport right

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on some options I have regarding tensioners, I currently don't really have a tensioner and my belt is stretching now its been on a while so i need to sort something out.

I've got 3 options

Buy a ready done, well made tensioner set up from a company in the US thats £130 plus shipping and any customs
http://trackdogracing.com/tdrbelttensioner.aspx

Get a similar bracket made up from some CAD drawings I've aquired, its known that adjustments will need to be made to these, each car seems to be slightly different and it could be a pain in the arse, but its probably cheaper to get these fabricated.

Buy an auto tensioner, the sort of top of the tree in regards to belt tensioning on these, that's £50, and then need to get custom brackets fabricated up but without having any cad drawings to go by, so Is probably the most expensive but and the most hassle, but should result with no hassle from belt slip.

I'm not sure where to go, I'm trying to be frugal after all the other work I've had done but I also don't want to have a half arsed Job.

The car runs ok when warm now but squeals terribly for the first 10 mins, and i think its getting gradually worse.

Listerine & Poledo
I'd go for the one from the US.
Track Dog are supposedly decent, and I'd rather put my money on tried-and-tested solution than try to save 50p and risk a belt problem...
Given your experience to date with that car, surely building in proven reliability should be your priority.

Also, get down to Tilbury tomorrow, I want to see your motor ;)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I think your probably right, reliability is probably top of the pile, for the moment at least.

No can do I'm afraid. I'm camping in a field for the weekend.

Listerine & Poledo
No point having "OMG! POWA!" if you only get it for 40 miles a year and the rest of the time it's got its bonnet up.
And damn, never mind.... you coming to RDR camping?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
You make a very good point, I've emailed the guys in America. I have been waiting for a response all morning until I realised its only just 8 in the morning. Hopefully they can deliver quickly.

I think I will this year, looks like a good laugh.

Listerine & Poledo
I always make the best sense on this place fella ;)

be good if you do make it, more the merrier, and it's pretty merry already

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
And so modest as well!

I beleive a few of the guys from Oxford will be along to the camping so I'll actually know some people this year

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I thought it was about time I got some proper photos of this, and seeming as it's working now it was a good opportunity for a drive as well.

I recently fitted a new tensioner so that I can now tension the belt properly and change them easily as well. but onto photos

17646073054_984961804a_z.jpg
Supercharged MX5-5 by Euan94, on Flickr
17646073874_6e7556d011_z.jpg
Supercharged MX5-4 by Euan94, on Flickr
18268691945_306b06920e_z.jpg
Supercharged MX5-2 by Euan94, on Flickr
18080879868_0df334ce99_z.jpg
Supercharged MX5-1 by Euan94, on Flickr

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Nice update coming next week, should get the car ready for CSS, first parts arrived today
image.jpg

And I built this up tonight as well, meaning I can get started on stripping the old engine. It'll be a learning curve as it's the first time I've dabbled with engines but hopefully I won't completely ruin it, I do have plans for it after all
image.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Love the noise of the supercharger in that video ! looking forward to your updates..
probably see you at CSS!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Love the noise of the supercharger in that video ! looking forward to your updates..
probably see you at CSS!
The noise is hilarious really.

I see your having some major work done to your Clio! Will you have that back for CSS? I'm really looking forward to it now.