ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX-5 Trackday Video - Cadwell in the wet - Sideways a lot

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Morning all,

Went to Cadwell on Saturday and had an awesome time! The rain didn't stop all day (and turned to snow by the end) meaning it was pretty slippery...

The first ~half is me (and others) going sideways / getting it wrong, then the second half is a couple of clear laps.

Cheers,
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
LOL at the waving! Some great saves, especially at 3:00.

Seems like a proper handful, I must own one.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yeah it was awesome - and I totally pooed myself when we were facing the wall at 3:00, haha.

The guy in the gold MX-5 is my mate which is why we were waving at him :p His grandad (who must be older than 80!) was in his passenger seat at the time and apparently he said 'Why did you drive over the grass?'.

The car is actually really easy to drive and not a handful at all - it was just so slippery. You can see from most of the slides that the oversteer is really gradual and controllable.

Hehe, I've heard this weekend isn't meant to be much better - you will be absolutely fine though, just take it steady and search out the grippy parts of the track (which are usually off the 'normal' line).

Clio 182 FF
Looks fun Adam! What are the mx5's like to drift under dry conditions? I've been looking at a cheap little toy for drift days, mx5's seem to fit the bill but is there enough power? Its the 1.8 variant i was looking at now sure what yours is?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Good video Adam looked fun! My thursday was spent like that after having to change to 888's at Llandow after killing my brand new rainsports!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Third ooops was close!

It was a bit :star:

Looks fun Adam! What are the mx5's like to drift under dry conditions? I've been looking at a cheap little toy for drift days, mx5's seem to fit the bill but is there enough power? Its the 1.8 variant i was looking at now sure what yours is?

It was! To be honest I think you'd struggle in the dry with half decent tyres and without a welded diff, they haven't got much poke. At somewhere like Oulton drift track (or your local industrial estate in the rain, if you are that way inclined) they drift absolutely fine though. Mine's a 1.6, the 1.8 does have a good chunk more torque though IIRC.

Good video Adam looked fun! My thursday was spent like that after having to change to 888's at Llandow after killing my brand new rainsports!

Cheers dude! Haha, yeah I can imagine 888s would be a handful in those conditions. That's why the Federal RSR 595s win IMO, they cope fine with that amount of water. Got any vids from Llandow?

2002 clio sport
looks very slippy out there, I hate driving normally in rain little own on track in rear wheel drive lol 3.00 looks scary! bet you wernt expecting that lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great bit of peddling, looks fun!

:D

I spent Thursday evening looking at MX5's, thanks to you.

Mazda MX-5 NB 1.8S

Their short wheelbase and (relatively) lightweight makes them a little unwilling to hold big drift angles steadily, but as mentioned they have a very predictable breakaway characteristic so you could do a lot worse than an MX5.

Definitely go for the 1.8 - the 1.6 is down on torque and is usually fitted with the weaker 6" final drive ring gear which WILL give up the ghost. The 1.8s all come with the stronger 7" ring gear which should stand up to drifting as long as you're not on racing slicks ;)

If the 1.8 isn't powerful enough for you, you can always bolt on a turbo :p

To the OP: Nice driving! :D

Chris

Clio 182 FF
Interesting... What is about in the way of engine conversions for these to give it a little more power?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Best thing is bolt a turbo or supercharger on - the engine was designed for it (for the Mazda 323), and there is a lot of knowledge around. Will cost you twice the value of the car (about £1800-2000) to do it well (reliably) though, which is why I haven't bothered...

Welcome to come and have a shufty at mine / chat if you like, I'm only up in Bamber Bridge.

Last edited:
  Mazda MX-5 NB 1.8S
Interesting... What is about in the way of engine conversions for these to give it a little more power?

Here's a good place to start.

The trend is for LS series V8s (from Corvettes and similar) or the small block Ford V8, but a swap which is becoming more popular is the 2.5L V6 Mazda/Ford KL (Ford Probe, Mazda MX-6 and some others). I did this swap (only to find I had a screwed engine and ran out of funds/time) but plenty of people are doing the same. Clairetoo of locostbuilders.co.uk helped me with most of my swap and she has her own converted V6 NA MX5 - I believe it's pushing around 200hp at the wheels. Here's the thread covering some of these conversions, as well as some links to my ill-fated swap lol.

Linkydoodah.

Chris

Clio 182 FF
UOTE=AdamR;9403337]Best thing is bolt a turbo or supercharger on - the engine was designed for it (for the Mazda 323), and there is a lot of knowledge around. Will cost you twice the value of the car (about £1800-2000) to do it well (reliably) though, which is why I haven't bothered...

Welcome to come and have a shufty at mine / chat if you like, I'm only up in Bamber Bridge.[/QUOTE]

That would be cool mate. Never really had a good look round an mx5.

Clio 182 FF
Here's a good place to start.

The trend is for LS series V8s (from Corvettes and similar) or the small block Ford V8, but a swap which is becoming more popular is the 2.5L V6 Mazda/Ford KL (Ford Probe, Mazda MX-6 and some others). I did this swap (only to find I had a screwed engine and ran out of funds/time) but plenty of people are doing the same. Clairetoo of locostbuilders.co.uk helped me with most of my swap and she has her own converted V6 NA MX5 - I believe it's pushing around 200hp at the wheels. Here's the thread covering some of these conversions, as well as some links to my ill-fated swap lol.

Linkydoodah.

Chris

How much would a v6 swap cost?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Sweet - well if you fancy it just give me a shout (my membership just expired but I think I can still receive PMs?). Somehow I've managed to end up with 3 of them (daily which is totally standard, the track one in the vid and the race car), so every base is covered! :eek:

Edition 30
Well I'm used to doing it in a Fireblade powered MK Indy in the dry. Quite a difference!!!