ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX-5 Race Highlights Video - Wet Mallory Park

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Hello all,

Did a couple of races at Mallory this Sunday just gone. Qualified 3rd in class then it peed down so we had a wet Race 1, which was awesome fun! I managed to get a good start for a change and stayed ahead for a win.

Race 2 was pretty much dry (video to come), but again got a decent start and won my class (lapping up to and including 3rd, somehow).

I've cropped the videos down to make them shorter / more watchable... Will post up the other when it's done.

Cheers,
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers dude!

I had a look at my datalogger after quali, the first 75% was dry and the rest wet - 3rd was about 0.2-0.3s quicker than 4th in the wet, despite the extra gearchange. In the dry it's definitely 4th though.

Race 2...

Lotus Elise
Always liked the max5 championship. What's the quick spec of the cars? How much more power do the mk3s have?

Cup In bits
Do you not find Mallory a bit of a bore, I have never been In person but it seem's such a prosession in lower powered cars, there isn't really any corner as such, it looks like everything upto 250bhp is just foot to floor everywhere??? Obviously it looked like you had loads of fun there in the wet sliding it about.

182cup & 172 racecar
Do you not find Mallory a bit of a bore, I have never been In person but it seem's such a prosession in lower powered cars, there isn't really any corner as such, it looks like everything upto 250bhp is just foot to floor everywhere??? Obviously it looked like you had loads of fun there in the wet sliding it about.

Talking rubbish. It's great.

Good going Adam, hanging on around the outside of Gerrards in the wet :eek:

​the right place to be ;) .....loads more grip in the wet there

was some nice driving , good to see someone putting a car in the right place imho in the wet ....

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Always liked the max5 championship. What's the quick spec of the cars? How much more power do the mk3s have?

Yeah, it's cheap, fun and fair - ideal club racing IMO. All the cars have the same Gaz shocks, Federal RSR-595 tyres (some of us have 2 sets, one with more tread, but most people just have one set), TD wheels, standard brakes (pads are free), power mods allowed are head skim and exhaust (standard cams, bottom end, vernier pulleys, airbox, flywheel), minimum weight of 970kg with driver, standard wishbones and maximum camber settings - all of which means you can't spend megabucks on trying to make the car faster.

All the Mk1s (should) run a maximum of 130bhp at the fly on an 'optimistic' rolling road (most of the cars are checked at least once a year on exactly the same setup owned by one of the guys who races with us), with the quickest Mk3s pushing out more like 170-180 I think.

As Tony said, it's a great track. I'll elaborate though :p The reason it's so fun is that it's short so the cars are packed in tightly (you'll never do more than a few laps without coming across another car) and it's all about carrying corner speed. Gerrards about 20% of the track and is a 'proper' corner, carry 2mph more through there with your arse twitching, the car bouncing around and the back end hanging out and you're guaranteed half a second faster lap time. Check out 7:35 in Race 2 for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r_RMeBB657A#t=455s

I agree that it looks crap as a map and usually not that engaging on videos, but it really is fun.

Cheers dude, the outside was definitely grippiest though. Had about 4 laps in quali to learn the wet lines (first ~75% was dry then it peed down), quite a few people went in cos it got slippy but I knew by staying out to find the grip it would help for the races.

was some nice driving , good to see someone putting a car in the right place imho in the wet ....

Thanks. The outside is definitely the place to be (if you avoid puddles, haha).

Love these vids, keep them coming :) :)

Cheers man!

Yeah, true - you need to drive it in the wet or have a good close look at the tarmac to find out I reckon!

Some really good stuff here, Page 56 onwards: http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/misc/Racelogic-ebook-advanced-circuit-driving.pdf

(I know you know this Harv - it's for others :))

you will be amazed when i learn something ,that i didn't consider .....

why i use driver coaching when racing , though i have not been in a seat for over 2 years now ......

walking a track really is useful for that sort of knowledge !!

not something you can do on trackdays which alot of people are likely to be doing , but it helps to find new lines .....

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yeah, I guess there is always someone out there that knows more or something extra to what you do!

That's why wet track days are winners IMO, you can learn so much about so much so quickly...

Cup In bits

I know you go well there and like it Tony, but having never been before it just seems like an oval and a hairpin from the videos and maps, low powered cars in the dry its foot to the floor no dramas it seems. Its probably different driving it but it reminds me of Goodwood which is boring in a low power car. I'm sure its great to race on like any stretch of road where your door to door with others but as a circuit it seem's very boring?

edit: I just looked at your race 2 vid a 7:35, there is a certain amount of risk reward around Gerrards in the wet/changeable conditions but I can't see it in the dry?

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar

Ah, I know that Harv, but Adam was VERY close, I mean like an 1" from the white line. No room for error at at all, I held my breath watching.

And Morgan, I know it looks like that on the map, but a few brave pills can get you an extra 1/2- 1 sec, and that's a lot at Mallory.

And as Adam say's you always end up racing with somebody, in Tin Tops, it was only about 4 laps in before we caught the back markers.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I know what you mean Swede, but personally I think it's what you make of it.

Even in a low powered car like the MX-5, you're doing about 98mph going into Gerrards, and the cornering speed (on track tyres with a decent setup) is ~82-85mph, so you're not completely flat out and you have to pick a braking point correctly - early enough to scrub off enough speed but late enough so you still have some weight on the nose for turn-in and haven't slowed down too much, it's a fine line.

It's bumpy all the way round, the car is twitchy near the limit, and you're pulling ~1.2g for about 12 seconds, constantly fighting and adjusting the car. If you're not doing this, you're not going fast enough and it will be pretty boring - like any track.

Also, the hairpin is much more banked and steep in real life than it looks on the vids, and with the wall on the inside this all makes for a very interesting corner which you get to have a crack at once every minute :)

Edit: In the dry you are still adjusting the car - listen to the tyres chirping away and me tweaking the steering angle. The other chaps I caught at that point in the vid will have been fairly 'steady' through there with constant steering input and no chirp, this is where the satisfaction lies for me!

Tony - haha, yeah, there were a few places I got a bit wide and it was pretty sketchy! I wouldn't choose to be that far out if I could help it.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Its probably the videos I have watched that make it look mundane as most videos tend to do that to tracks. I have watched a fair bit of footage on Motors TV there and the hairpin does look steep banked with a lot of mistakes made.

I guess until you have tried it you can't comment, videos never seem to get elevation changes, banking, big bumps etc truly represented.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Its probably the videos I have watched that make it look mundane as most videos tend to do that to tracks. I have watched a fair bit of footage on Motors TV there and the hairpin does look steep banked with a lot of mistakes made.

I guess until you have tried it you can't comment, videos never seem to get elevation changes, banking, big bumps etc truly represented.

Yeah man, tracks always look totally different on videos! If you get the chance, it's well worth driving at Mallory IMO :)

Good vids and write up.

Anyone know the latest about Mallory? re closure because of noise complaints etc.

Cheers dude.

I've not heard much since the whole online petition thing...

182cup & 172 racecar
Adam, I don't want to hijack your thread, but this is not a boring Mallory.

Cup In bits
Adam, I don't want to hijack your thread, but this is not a boring Mallory.

I watched it earlier againTony on your blog, I agree any circuit is good to race on as competition adds everything to it even a straight road....but as an out and out circuit for excitement its lacking a bit IMO.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't stop me racing in it for above reason.

182cup & 172 racecar
Turning into Gerrards at 90 is quite exciting, but I take your point, until you've been there, you'll never know.

Lotus Elise
The only reason I'd live in Scotland is to be in gas and oil. TBF a road trip incorporating all the race circuits of the U.K would be mint!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Adam, I don't want to hijack your thread

Not a word of it - that's a bloody brilliant video, could watch it all day!

How many different classes are there in that field by the way? It was like Need For Speed out there.

The guy you double-passed at 11:20 must have pooed himself, haha.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
The only reason I'd live in Scotland is to be in gas and oil. TBF a road trip incorporating all the race circuits of the U.K would be mint!

And the countryside/roads, ^^^^ that will become all that more important before long. England = pauper ;)

I would seriously love a trip like that but I would need a few cars or van full of spare parts I would think. Realistically every time I make a trip down to race I will squeeze a track day in on the way down or back.