ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Must-have Blackberry apps?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
PMSL! I'm going to be having words with our symon!

I'm guessing the only way you can upgrade software is through your desktop?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Need to mind my fricking cable next time! It's really that theme I want to try out!

Bus w**ker
I'm back, covered in brake fluid and other grim stuff.

You can install themes OTA mate, just download via the BB browser and it should automatically run. If not then once it's downloaded go to Options -> Theme and install it from there.

Now back to crawling around under my car and struggling like a c**t trying to get these rear brake lines out.

XOXO

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm back, covered in brake fluid and other grim stuff.

You can install themes OTA mate, just download via the BB browser and it should automatically run. If not then once it's downloaded go to Options -> Theme and install it from there.

Now back to crawling around under my car and struggling like a c**t trying to get these rear brake lines out.

XOXO
Get back here you c**t! What do I search for in the bb browser? I don't know the name of the theme! :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think that theme is only for the curve I can't find it for the bold! God damm!"

Bus w**ker
Sadly Gallysan it is no worky on the Bold. :(

Find one in this section and then follow the download link in your BB browser to download and install the theme you like directly on your phone via OTA.

Bus w**ker
Just found two new apps which people might like. The first is a police scanner, only covers Australia, Canada, Chiles, Germany and the states...not really useful but some interesting bits, like the current man hunt by LAPD for a 6-8 year old black male letting shots off into the air PMSL.

OTA install:
http://ota.berryscanner.com/

Or if you use a WordPress blog there is a beta out of their BB app so you can blog on the move.

OTA install:
http://blackberry.wordpress.org/install

Bus w**ker
I had it when it first came out. Thought it was s**t lol. You might like it though so give it a whirl.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Symon, I got a great theme. Keeps the oe set up but with more quick links on the home screen. Check it out...
3.png

It's the latest version at the bottom of the page...
http://forums.crackberry.com/f130/8...-theme-w-today-customizable-home-page-254274/

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
See when you go into your full menu how do you get your home wallpaper in the background? I just have a blue background.

In the booklet it shows the vodafone sign behind the full menu. :S

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Also, on these websites they show the weather app on the main screen... ive downloaded the program and the theme, but it doesnt show up on my home screen?

Am i missing something?

Bus w**ker
Symon, I got a great theme. Keeps the oe set up but with more quick links on the home screen. Check it out...
3.png

It's the latest version at the bottom of the page...
http://forums.crackberry.com/f130/8...-theme-w-today-customizable-home-page-254274/
I'm using one a bit like that myself. http://forums.crackberry.com/f130/free-bold-theme-stock-weather-plus-234393/

See when you go into your full menu how do you get your home wallpaper in the background? I just have a blue background.

In the booklet it shows the vodafone sign behind the full menu. :S
I think it's theme dependant that mate, I personally prefer a plain background for the menu screens. If you ask in the theme thread though or do a search on CB someone should be able to tell you how to do it.

Why does my curve take 20 minutes to start up?
20 minutes? I'd update your OS to the latest official version for the Curve and see if that resolve it. If not it could be one of the apps your running.

Also, on these websites they show the weather app on the main screen... ive downloaded the program and the theme, but it doesnt show up on my home screen?

Am i missing something?
Try moving the icon for the app out of your download folder in to home. Then place it as one of the first six icons, depends on your theme though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That's far too busy for my liking symon. I have a cracking wallpaper mate, really nice photo so my oe looks nice and clean!

I tried one of the themes that comes with it but they both have the same background and the one in the vodafone booklet has a nice wallpaper background! Grrr!

I'll pop over and start a thread! Lols. Cheers again mate.

Mk2 Golf GTI
Why does my curve take 20 minutes to start up?

The initial turn on or when you reboot it takes a while and you'll have that white screen with the little clock icon in the middle but you shouldn't get that once it's all set up.

Mine turns on in a few seconds now. Check out the auto on/off feature too:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-17-using-auto

There's some other decent articles too:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series

Am i missing something?

If you're using the theme i posted above, you have to move the icon to the 1st slot on the second row

3716516955_dfba02ac2d.jpg

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I quite fancy re-flashing the phone, removing all my old aps and starting again. is there anyway to do that without loosing all my music, pictures, emails, texts etc...?

Cheers for your help guys with regards to the themes.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Oh, it seems to take forever to start up when i remove the battery, or do quickpull.

Bus w**ker
I think, not done it myself, but if you plug your phone in and open BB Desktop Manager you can go to Backup and Restore. In there you should find an Advanced option where you can pick and choose what you're backing up, so no 3rd party apps etc.

If you're going to try it though I'd strongly recommend that you do a full backup first including messages and 3rd party apps...just in case.

Mk2 Golf GTI
Guys just posted in another thread but i'd recommend checking out the Bolt and Opera Mini browsers mentioned earlier in the thread if you haven't already.

I agree with Symon that they don't work quite as smoothly as the original BB browser but i've just done a little test and they both seemed a hell of a lot quicker.

I used the www.nationalgeographic.com site as my test page as some guy did a comparison of 3G vs EDGE on the iphone with the same site, due to it being quite data intensive. I was actually on a GPRS connection at the time, so EDGE is probably slightly faster.

Anyway, times as follows:

Standard BB browser 1:30
Opera Mini 0:45
Bolt 0:30

Quite significant, and although i'd probably stick with the BB browser a lot of the time, when you want some info quick they may well be worth getting.

Sambo when you do a quick pull or battery pull the phone reboots completely. That's why it takes so long. It shouldn't do this when just turning off with the power button.

BTW this is a useful little speed test app if you're into this sort of thing.

http://crackberry.com/test-speed-your-3g-edge-and-wifi-speedtest

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
It seems to be running much smoother with the new software, does anyone know actually what has been improved or if there are any new features to check out?

Cant wait for OS 5, im tempted to install it but a bit scepticle with it only being a leak

Bus w**ker
If you google the OS release version you should be able to find the change log, but remember that there will have been updates in between the previous version you were running on your handset and the new one so not all changes will be showing. All in all though they will of increased battery life and made the software a lot more stable.

I'm waiting for 5.0, I use my phone far too much to run beta software on it...and I'm scared lol.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you google the OS release version you should be able to find the change log, but remember that there will have been updates in between the previous version you were running on your handset and the new one so not all changes will be showing. All in all though they will of increased battery life and made the software a lot more stable.

I'm waiting for 5.0, I use my phone far too much to run beta software on it...and I'm scared lol.
I'm like that, it says my device has no new updates required. Go figure.

Symon I installed a few games yesterday and ended up without some of my apps in the download folder! Went back in an fixed it this morning but no idea where they went!

To ythe guy who wants to remove everything and start again.

If you install all your desktop manager business then once you're in it choos the top left hand option think it's applications somthing or other.

In there you will be able to uninstall all the stuff you don't want applications wise.

It won't affect your music but it's only for removing apps and game files ect... pretty much whatever you've downloaded since getting the phone.

Bus w**ker
For OS releases it will only show authorised updated for your provider, it kindly tells me that I should be downgrading from .247 to .221 lol.

When you change themes it doesn't keep the settings for custom locations of your icons. So if you've moved, for example, Weatherbug from the download folder to home in the standard theme and then switch to another theme the icon will revert to the default location because the settings are theme dependant.

AK

M240i
Where can i get a theme like this above for my 8800

3716516955_dfba02ac2d.jpg

Oh Sym0n got my fecking browser sorted, was pischy vodafone not setting it up correctly! All's working fine now :D:D

Bus w**ker
Oh Sym0n got my fecking browser sorted, was pischy vodafone not setting it up correctly! All's working fine now :D:D
Finally lol. Seems that providers don't really have a clue on how to set up BB accounts properly!

AK

M240i
The guy only made that theme for the 8900 but try browsing through these:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f128/

Cheers, not any i like there but will keep looking :)!

LOL at the first thread in that section tho, "Gay Pride Theme" - no thanks lol!!

Finally lol. Seems that providers don't really have a clue on how to set up BB accounts properly!

Yup!

Even tried to offer me £23 pound off my next bill if i decided to extend my contract by 6 months - ermm no ta!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Another curve issue.

Why can't i load app world on it?

Its running 4.6

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
OTA and Via the website.

Says "this device isnt compatible"

Thank the lord i dont own one, these things are fiddly as f**k.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
:S to be honest mate, install the beta os 5.0 - ive just done it, seems much smoother and faster to boot up. Do a complete fresh install, wipe your old OS.

To bump this with a recent find from Sy;

Photobucket uploader, not an app but a bloody good and useful hint/tip.

Go to the PB site on the BB browser. Log in as usual. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "Upload" button. This brings up an address such as combine04blahblah@photobucket.com.

Save this as a contact and email any pictures to this address. You will receive an email back about a minute later stating it has been uploaded.

Simples!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So the pic wil go straight into you pb account Jamie?

It will fella. One thing I haven't sussed is whether I can get it to go into a specific file on the account . . . playing with that at the moment :)

You can't seems to just go to the same address code each time so . . .

But isn't a prob. Can just move it another time!