ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving up in the Clio world... need some advice!

Seat Leon 184
I currently have a silver 51 plate 1.2 Dynamique and i love it to bits, had it a year now and its been great for me but now I want to get something with a bit more "Va va voom". I'd love to get a 172/182 but I have no idea what i should be looking out for and what sort of price range I should be looking at. Going to have roughly £2000-£2500 to spend on one, is that enough for a decent one without some serious mileage on the clock or am I wasting my time and need more money? (Baring in mind im a student so that would take a while lol)
Thanks in advance, jason

I'd say that's a healthy budget, For that budget , you'd be looking at a half decent 172 , or a higher mileage 182 imo

To to be honest there's not much between both, buy on condition rather than mileage imo, being a student im
assuming you won't have money to chuck at it , so try and get a car with most things on that you want !

Also so try and get one with the Cambelt and dephaser replaced recently.

There are plenty of them about so don't rush into buying the first one

theres a good buyers guide on here that's worth looking through tells you all the things you need to look out for, and I'd recommend buying off here because people tend to know what they are on about and you can research the car !

Seat Leon 184
I'd say that's a healthy budget, For that budget , you'd be looking at a half decent 172 , or a higher mileage 182 imo

To to be honest there's not much between both, buy on condition rather than mileage imo, being a student im
assuming you won't have money to chuck at it , so try and get a car with most things on that you want !

Also so try and get one with the Cambelt and dephaser replaced recently.

There are plenty of them about so don't rush into buying the first one

theres a good buyers guide on here that's worth looking through tells you all the things you need to look out for, and I'd recommend buying off here because people tend to know what they are on about and you can research the car !
Cheers buddy, yeah your right id have next to nothing to throw at it apart from the usual running costs and odd fix up, id be better off getting a 172 tbh due to insurance (looking at ~£1500 for the year on a 172 and not checked on a 182 but it will deffo be more), the joys of being a 19 year old lad in Leeds haha paid £3400 for my first year on my 1.2 clio! dropped down to £700 on the 1.2 but id rather splash on a pacier motor.

Ive read a lot about the cambelt and dephaser and pretty much every 172 on auto trader and ebay all seem to have recently changed cambelts so ill keep an eye out for that. I dont have the money at the minute, need to get rid of my dynamique and get together however much ill need after that

Ive read a lot about the cambelt and dephaser and pretty much every 172 on auto trader and ebay all seem to have recently changed cambelts so ill keep an eye out for that. I dont have the money at the minute, need to get rid of my dynamique and get together however much ill need after that

You need to be relatively picky about who did the cambelt/dephaser though. My 182 was tipex-timed before it went to Fred with a rattling dephaser, and he told me the timing was out. Best bet as Beasley suggested would be to sign up as a Club member on here and haunt the "Cars for sale" section as the cars there have more than likely been cared for better than anything you will find on Auto Trader.

Again, as Beasley also said, don't rush into buying the first one you see. Make sure it's a decent, honest motor. Best of luck with your search.

Ph2 172
Go for a 172 and keep some extra pennies towards the running costs. I'm on to my second 172 now, IMO there's not enough difference between the two to justify the premium that some 182s command (unless its LY or RB.)

My 182 was actually cheaper to insure than my ph2 172 , only by a few £ but it was lol !

As mentioned be VERY specific with who has done the Cambelt and dephaser ! Mine was done by birch down motors, and the difference when it had been set up properly was unreal!

You here horror stories of them running massively under powered , while mine must have been running around 150bhp when I bought it ! And after it felt amazing , pulled so much harder ! Worth making sure it's been done right and not 'tip exd' mate!

But but plenty to go for ! Good luck with the search !

Seat Leon 184
Id be happy to walk you round mine and point out what to look for if you like
That would be a real help mate, im a complete novice when it comes to cars and had my dads mate (owns a garage in wortley) get my first car for me so i wouldnt know what to look for under the bonnet etc

Seat Leon 184
My 182 was actually cheaper to insure than my ph2 172 , only by a few £ but it was lol !

As mentioned be VERY specific with who has done the Cambelt and dephaser ! Mine was done by birch down motors, and the difference when it had been set up properly was unreal!

You here horror stories of them running massively under powered , while mine must have been running around 150bhp when I bought it ! And after it felt amazing , pulled so much harder ! Worth making sure it's been done right and not 'tip exd' mate!

But but plenty to go for ! Good luck with the search !
Okay cheers mate i'll keep an eye out :D

That would be a real help mate, im a complete novice when it comes to cars and had my dads mate (owns a garage in wortley) get my first car for me so i wouldnt know what to look for under the bonnet etc

Drop me a pm. Im at BTM today so wont be back till later and its probably adviseable to do it on the light.

Seat Leon 184
Drop me a pm. Im at BTM today so wont be back till later and its probably adviseable to do it on the light.
Cheers pal, im out all day today anyway so ill PM you when I get back and we can arrange something another day, thanks for this mate really appreciate it!

One tip I've learnt v.recently, the standard 182 exhaust doesn't last and it's pretty damn expensive to replace. £800 cat back from Renault or £400 aftermarket.