ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOTing my cup

172 Cup
Right I accept that the load sensing valve is on these and isn't used, the MOT centre accept this, but the garage doing the work is insisting on fitting this to my car at a cost of 124 + vat :(
I've been told by a reliable source that simply tightening the handbrake will increase the overall rear braking effort?

172 Cup
As I said lol, but my overall braking effort is 45%, 5% below what it should be, will tightening the handbrake increase braking effort at the foot?

PH1 172 Sport
The reason that part is not fitted to the car is that it does not have abs. Fitting the part could cause your rear wheels to lock up and end up in a hedge.

Best thing to do IMO is go and get it MOT'd in another garage that knows what they are doing and then go claim your money back from the first garage.

172 Cup
Thanks. But surely my overall braking needs to hit a certain percentage? But does tightening the handbrake have any effect on the brake pedal? I'm tired of garages being c***s lol

172 Cup
caister said:
The reason that part is not fitted to the car is that it does not have abs. Fitting the part could cause your rear wheels to lock up and end up in a hedge.

Best thing to do IMO is go and get it MOT'd in another garage that knows what they are doing and then go claim your money back from the first garage.

I'm in NI, we only have like 3 testing centres :(

Thanks. But surely my overall braking needs to hit a certain percentage? But does tightening the handbrake have any effect on the brake pedal? I'm tired of garages being c**ks lol

Print off the link I gave you, take it in, they should pass the car the way it is. If not tell them to ring VOSA.

172 Cup
Homer-Simpson said:
Thanks. But surely my overall braking needs to hit a certain percentage? But does tightening the handbrake have any effect on the brake pedal? I'm tired of garages being c**ks lol

Print off the link I gave you, take it in, they should pass the car the way it is. If not tell them to ring VOSA.

Got ya. Sorry if I come across as stupid but is VOSA a mainland thing? Or do they cover MOTs here in NI?

172 Cup
Yeh it's just I see you lot have VOSA to complain to when the garage gets it wrong, I can't really attempt to go over anyones head at a dvta office, that's another problem I have ffs

172 Cup
Il give them a shout in the morning thanks. Pretty piss poor that these motors keep failing, then Renault don't have a notion about what is on their cars.

The only thing throwing me of is it went through MOT fine last year

Astra van,Mk1 nova
The only thing throwing me of is it went through MOT fine last year

Join the club mate, mine went through last year with no problems atal. This year i need a handbrake cable (both sides),windscreen and what ever else they find tbh. Just done the discs,pads, calipers, bearings and tyres and it goes in 2 months time. You will find they fall apart pretty quick. French s**t for you lol ;)

172 Cup
Tell me about it, it's a bundle of shite lol. I just have no idea how I will find this extra 5% brakig effort, I changed discs and pads last month. The bloke at the MOT centre said he understands this part isn't on my motor, buts it's still braking too weak, so do I just argue the point home that he should pass it?

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Pretty sure 45% on a cup is impressive, do most cup owners not struggle to get around the 25% mark?

I think you prob rite mate. My print out from last year is in my folder of work done to the car, im going to dig it out tomorrow to find out mine :lolup: I would do it now but due to having no mot and tax i cant drive it so its left at my work. f**king hate the thing now. If it wasnt so beautiful looking i would burn it :nono:

"Huge Tool" Cup
I had this issue (like everyone else) and that VOSA article was F all use. After driving up and down the road warming up the brakes they eventually passed it on 51% brake efficiency on the second attempt. This was an MOT station that did Renault main dealer cars and had "done cups before".

I will be taking it elsewhere next year for the usual rigmarole.

172 Cup
If all this is such an issue is there not some sort of way of just tightening the rear brakes? Im not very mechanically minded btw lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Take this in and show it to them

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repo...Apr%202006.pdf

Right at the bottom :)

Right right right right down at the bottom ;) ...this bit...

VOSA said:
Brake performance – low efforts

Some vehicles – and we’re not talking about just Renaults now – have design characteristics that make them more likely to record low efforts from the rear brakes. This could result in incorrect failure of the vehicle under RfR 3.7A 1 (a) of the inspection manual.

The ‘little or no braking effort’ phrase is part of the RfR, but it is qualified by the statement ‘indicating clearly that the brake is not functioning correctly’. NTs should consider this before making a decision.

What your razor sharp tester has completely missed is that your brakes are functioning correctly they just happen to be giving low effort from a fixed bias that's set by Renault at the factory - and the above clearly states that is acceptable.​

Ask him which bit of that he doesn't understand.​

172 Cup
With me doing this in NI with the DVA Im not sure if they will accept the VOSA? My best bet is to ring head office and pick a fight :(

Lionel Richie
you can't tighten the rears no, kick off and tell them to ring renualt UK, VOSA know about it, tell the test centre to ring VOSA direct and check, your car DOES NOT need any parts

RB 182 cup
take it back and ask them to do a decelerometer test and not do it in the brake rollers and it will pass with no probs

172 Cup
Well took it through this morning, the manager didnt want to know and thought my head was up my arse. Thankfully the guy testing the guy seemed to know all about the cups and bounced on the brakes to get me an acceptable reading, job done :)

I cable tie the compensator to max effort for my MoTs with the cup. The garage hasn't noticed them yet. They failed it first time I took it there without doing this before it was common knowledge about the compensator. The rears have good effort then. But they should pass it anyway.

172 Cup
I cable tie the compensator to max effort for my MoTs with the cup. The garage hasn't noticed them yet. They failed it first time I took it there without doing this before it was common knowledge about the compensator. The rears have good effort then. But they should pass it anyway.

Didnt know that could be done. May keep that in mind for next October :eek: