ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT : Will EML mean a fail? (Not as retarded as it sounds!)

Basically, I have a decatted Yozza. I've been running with the Lambda sensor in the decat for about half a year now, and my EML has been on for the past month or two.

Now this week I put my cat back in for the MOT, and screwed the existing Lambda into the cat. Obviously it was black, having been in the decat.
Now my EML is still on, with the Cat back in, so emissions themselves shouldn't be a problem, I'm guessing running the Lambda in the Decat has buggered it up.

Question is, will the EML being on mean an MOT fail? If so, guess I'll need to buy a replacement lambda, and keep the old one as a bung.
Unless there is something I need to do to reset it that I haven't..

182 Trophy #333
You just need to reset the emissions light, a £20 code reader off eBay will do the job, mine comes on quite often with the decat!

306 GTI-6
Yep, any MIL on the dash is now an MOT fail, or at least will be. I am not sure when those changes came/come into force though.

Urgh. How frustrating!
I've got an RSTuner, pretty sure I need an add on to turn off the EML though.
Although if I bought a new Lambda, would the light go off the minute I plugged it in, or will it still need resetting?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It will ned turning off mate. It will eventually self rectify but for speed just plug it in. The new rules are indeed being enforced as of May 1st, 2012.

Also another cheerful one which should worry some; having a decat fitted to a vehicle that should have a CAT irregardless of warning light status is a fail. If it left the factory with a CAT it has to have one.

Mick

Mk1 16v brooklands
It will ned turning off mate. It will eventually self rectify but for speed just plug it in. The new rules are indeed being enforced as of May 1st, 2012.

Also another cheerful one which should worry some; having a decat fitted to a vehicle that should have a CAT irregardless of warning light status is a fail. If it left the factory with a CAT it has to have one.

Mick

I thought if it had a decat it was a fail anyway (even before new laws)
My mk1 had one (1993 hybrid) and that failed because it had one fitted

LY 182
No.. The engine management light is not a fail. Airbag light is, but not yet.. Still in what they call a bedding in period.

Mk2 Ph2 172
Pass and advise

If it is lamba related you will fail on emissions or it could be another fault

As mentioned above new failed items still have not been enforced as of yet

BlackGold 182
sorry to steel a thread but if i were to have a wheel with no air bag and using a resistor so no airbag light on dash come on would it pass?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Now yes but when the new rules come in it won't..... The only way it would pass Is it was obviously a dedicated track car

But then you will get a pass and advise

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Any MIL ( malfunction indicator lamp) that stays on is now a fail. The rules came out at the start of the year but only became fail able on the 1st of April.

Just to be clear I have put the Cat back in for my MOT, as I thought a decat would fail the emissions test, regardless of what Mick mentioned about cat/no cat being fitted from factory..
Cheers for the help. I'll look to getting it turned off for now.

Mk2 Ph2 172
Any MIL ( malfunction indicator lamp) that stays on is now a fail. The rules came out at the start of the year but only became fail able on the 1st of April.

It has not come into effect yet there is no date when it will come in!!!

172/1.2/E30
Just use the RSTuner and clear the ECM fault codes. No extra module needed unless you want to erase airbag/ABS faults.

LY 182
Well I had a special notice on the mot system a few days ago saying the "bedding in period" had been extended ie the fails that were due to come in to effect on the 1st of april are postponed until further notice as testers are still getting used to all the new items. So pass and advise.. But the engine management light is the one MIL light that is not coming in to the test.. I've seen loads of leaflets and things from other sources (not vosa) saying it is.. But as of yet I've not seen any mention of it.. I also attended a recent mot seminar and no mention. Airbag, tyre pressure warning, and seatbelt mil lights will be but when we don't know

182 cup
Technically yes its a fail im a tester but tbh would prob depend on th mood of tester nd overall condition of car lol

ph1 172
I had my 182 MOT'd on Saturday.

The EML is on and was one for the test. The tester said that it is NOT a fail but they have to advise that the cause is looked into.

Also whilst on the topic, mine is decatted and read 0.6 on the meter where it should be 0.2 or lower. The average reading I am told for an older car that hasn't come from the factory with a cat is around 3.5 so the f4r is a pretty clean engine regardless. That test was for peace of mind only.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
its not a mot fail as there having problems passing annex b which is the 2 failures.
but i would fail for cat missing

LY 172
going back a page. someone said the SERVICE light is a fail.

dosent the Service light come on to remind you that u need to have a service. ( providing no other lights are on) so therefor is a pass ?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No.

SERV means that the car has developed a fault which needs repairing but which isn't an imminent danger e.g. the airbags not functioning.
STOP means that the car has developed a fault which is dangerous and the car must be stopped ASAP e.g. engine overheating, brake failure e.t.c