ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Failure: Sabelt steering wheel (Drivers airbag missing)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's the general consensus but not always the case now. There are too many grey areas relating to srs that can net a savvy garage a fortune.

Guys, I,m no expert on mot,s but come on ,if you put a car in for an mot and it fails on an illegal plate , surely your the one to blame not the tester, not sure on the airbag issue, so I,m not going to comment on that one.

I'm not complaining about the plate, or the wheel infact. I was just giving people a heads up of my experience.
Plate was my fault, its velcro'd on so I can just swap it easily. If I'd thought about it I'd have just swapped it before anyway.

I'd just read on here about the steering wheel/airbag being a grey area, so thought I'd let people know. Mine has resistors in so airbag light functions normally.
I'm just going to swap the wheel/plate over for my retest (which is free?!) and then have a look at the emissions issue.

Hmmm.

Part of me thinks get over it and stop making your car crap and dangerous. Another part of me recoils at ever increasing legislation. It seems it's modern human nature to want to legislate. Control everything.

The MOT used to be about "is the vehicle roadworthy?". Now it's about "has anyone DARED to endanger themselves and deviate from manufacturer spec?". WTF. f**king f**k off.

Hmmm.

Part of me thinks get over it and stop making your car crap and dangerous. Another part of me recoils at ever increasing legislation. It seems it's modern human nature to want to legislate. Control everything.

The MOT used to be about "is the vehicle roadworthy?". Now it's about "has anyone DARED to endanger themselves and deviate from manufacturer spec?". WTF. f**king f**k off.

I would agree, however how is simply fitting a Sabelt wheel instead of the standard Bus wheel making it crap lol..

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I asked our MOTer to look in to it today with VOSA and even he said "utter crap"... but thems the rules I guess.

Looks like an MOT wheel is gonna be a must for some of you now (runs to put two up forsale) :)

172 Rally Car
The only thing i will say on the matter is that i'm glad there are exceptions made for competition vehicles

I asked our MOTer to look in to it today with VOSA and even he said "utter crap"... but thems the rules I guess.

Looks like an MOT wheel is gonna be a must for some of you now (runs to put two up forsale) :)

I looked it up as well in the manual today because i wasnt sure ! and true to form them are the rules as vosa said in there letter!

Its new into the legislation only came in as i started testing !!

One thing in perticular to remember boys and girls and coming from a MOT tester here is we HAVE to follow the manual , if for example we passed this and you had a bump and complained etc id be up shite creak without a paddle it does happen !

Its VOSA not use that makes the rules we just abide !

I'm in the middle of this, the car is used only for competition and driven to events, I don't run a cage as it's not required just a recommendation in rd going, currently using a CG lap belt lock and standard seat but changing to competition seat and harness next year, I think I'll be keeping my steering wheel for MOT's after reading this although the lads at the garage did ask if it's used for competition and I've used them for the last 30 years!I've also mentioned the Gripper diff , can I assume this will change the readings when they do the brake test on the machine?

Regards Russ........

cant use the brake tester machine with a diff

Is that plate diff only or is an ATB diff type not a problem as some cars come with them fitted Honda S2000 and Import Tegs, I had a Quaife fitted to the 205 and it passed MOT's ok, I wonder if they turned a blind eye;), think I'll ask before going to the trouble of changing things.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
From my understanding, its quite simple:

If you remove the airbags, you have to have buckets/harnesses/cage - to pass under the 'track car' rules.

But if you have a 'track car' it'll have a de-cat, & it'll be a friendly MOT anyways lol.

HBT 172 Cup
Blanked off my airbag light (sabelt wheel) and my mate passed it, hes fussy as fook when it comes to MOT's aswell.

Is that plate diff only or is an ATB diff type not a problem as some cars come with them fitted Honda S2000 and Import Tegs, I had a Quaife fitted to the 205 and it passed MOT's ok, I wonder if they turned a blind eye;), think I'll ask before going to the trouble of changing things.

You can put them in the brake rollers it's not a fail having a LSD fitted its just not healthy for them so they normally use a decellerometer instead !

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Blanked off my airbag light (sabelt wheel) and my mate passed it, hes fussy as fook when it comes to MOT's aswell.

But surely that falls under the "light not on with ignition" theme? If it's not there, it cant fail.

Whereas if the light comes on with ignition, but then isn't on for the text due to resistors, its a fail?

Cup In bits
If you can claim the system has been removed I.e no light (blanked light) no air bags (replaced wheel) and no wiring (blag it) then there's no issue. They don't fail non ABS cars for an ABS fault because it isn't there so they can't test for it.

^^ Not true any more - that's what the April changes are all about

They've changed the policy from "not fitted so can't be tested" to "removed so failure"
The guy at my MOT place was telling me that from April this year if you remove an ABS system it's a failure, remove airbags is a failure etc...

The only way around it is, as has been said, if the car is modded enough to be a track car or built for special purpose
Mine went straight through the MOT fyi... with just a single line in the advisory box that said "Tested as track car" :)

Also probably start a flame war here but personally if I was in a car with standard seats and standard seatbelts I wouldn't replace my airbag wheel with a piece of solid metal lol

Ph2 Clio 172
This is a PITA.

The way I read it fitting a new wheel and bucket seats is a fail.

I've had a non airbag wheel on for 2 years and passed 2 MOT's (including one only a few weeks ago). Why is my car now more dangerous than it was last year? I want to fit some different seats too, but I'm not going to fit a cage or harnesses.

I don't have my original wheel either. God this is going to be a ball ache come MOT time every year, isn't it. FFS.

Cup In bits
That's what I'm saying. I personally wouldn't have an aftermarket wheel as a standalone mod on a car, It would only be fitted on a track car so there would be associated mods fitted for track work and could be classed as a track car.

Dammit, only just fitted my Sabelt!

At least it's fresh in your mind of how to swap it back for the mot then ;)

For me it will take a few hours to make my car back to mot condition, it's ok if you're capable but I feel sorry for people who get garages to fit there steering wheels etc ha

Saying that ill just send it to get tested, if they fail it then ill send it back with a standard seat and wheel.

Ph2 Clio 172
That's what I'm saying. I personally wouldn't have an aftermarket wheel as a standalone mod on a car, It would only be fitted on a track car so there would be associated mods fitted for track work and could be classed as a track car.

Mine is a track car. I just haven't gone all out with a stip and a cage. Its got suspension, wheels, tyres and brakes upgrades aimed at track use too.

If it doesn't have buckets and harnesses then it's not a track car - if you're on track putting your life in the hands of a single seatbelt and chunk of metal 1ft in front of your face then you're a braver/stupider man than me

Ph2 Clio 172
If it doesn't have buckets and harnesses then it's not a track car - if you're on track putting your life in the hands of a single seatbelt and chunk of metal 1ft in front of your face then you're a braver/stupider man than me

Lol, typical CS response.

I bet your great fun at a track day. Do you walk down the pitlane and point out all the idiots driving standard cars?

Errrr ok?

I've been at track days where Clios have rolled, and I've seen people who have hit barriers slide under 4 point harnesses.

You have no harnesses and no roll cage in your "track car" (seriously, it's not) - if you go slightly too fast into a corner and go sideways into the kitty litter you're going over. The car will crush and you'll fall out of the standard seatbelt.

Personally I don't give a s**t as it's not my life. But moaning that the MOT system is saying your unsafe car is unsafe is kinda stupid, and trying to say it's a track car because you've put some better brake pads in makes even less sense.

Basically - you've removed the few safety features your car came with from the factory and then gone out on track to push your car harder than you would on the road.
That makes no sense.

Ph2 Clio 172
Why do all your views on danger only apply to Clios? Do they not apply to all the hundreds/thousands of people who track standard cars of any type each year? And what about those people tracking standard cars that didn't even have airbags as standard! God they must be insane?

Or are you just trying to save face and back track out of your retarded comment.

I don't have a stand alone steering wheel mod, as Swede Cup said, its one of a number of mods applied to a car used almost exclusively on track. The MOT test has deemed it safe for the last 2 years, but it seems next year they may deem it unsafe.

I will never understand the "you must spend thousands of pounds on your car before going anywhere near a track or you will die" brigade on here. Hell, even most car reviews of anything mildly sporty includes a section where its driven on track! Do you have an aneurysm reading Evo Car of the Year?

Where did I say it only applies to Clios?
It applies to all cars

The ones without airbags - well it would be fairly f**king retarded to insist that they all go out and have a very expensive and dangerous to fit safety system added to their cars.
It still doesn't mean that buying a car with airbags and removing them then not fitting harnesses isn't totally f**king idiotic. You're literally making your car more dangerous for absolutely NO reason at all

One of my mates runs a Ph1 172 Clio, he picked up 2 bucket seats for £60 on ebay, sold his original interior for £150
He picked up 2 harnesses for £80. so it actually made him £10

His car is stripped, airbags removed, aftermarket wheel etc and the whole thing including mods cost him £900

It has f**k all to do with money - you're just being retarded. If your car is purely a track car there is absolutely no reason to have the standard seat belts and crappy reclining seats.

Ph2 Clio 172
So he doesn't have a cage? So the belts are anchored to the floor, i.e. they are waaaay outside the specified safety limits on the angle belts can be mounted at and if he has a head on crash he is going to crush his spine?

Sounds real safe. Best get round there quick and insist he buys a roll cage too.

Shushhhhhhh i'm bored as f**k at work today

trollface.png

Ph2 Clio 172
Snap.

I'm well aware of the extra risk I introduced by removing the airbag. But saying that anyone who doesn't strip, cage, harness and bucket seat their car before going anywhere near a track is an idiot is a an opinion either bore from some bizarre form of track day snobbery, or simply designed to cause arguments.

Clio 200 CUP
Like Fred said sounds like a lot of rubbish to me my cup is in with a Sabelt steering wheel on Monday so will let you know but can not see it being a problem as I have no back seats just not got a roll cage YET lol

Ph2 Clio 172
Like Fred said sounds like a lot of rubbish to me my cup is in with a Sabelt steering wheel on Monday so will let you know but can not see it being a problem as I have no back seats just not got a roll cage YET lol

The tester phoned up and said the airbag light was on because it didn't have an airbag. I told him it had resistors and it was the cables under the seat. He hung up and phoned back an hour later to say it passed and they reset the light with diagnostics.

So I think he almost failed it due to the wheel, then got distracted with the diagnotics :p

Doubt I will be that lucky again though.