ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure - emissions

Clio 172 2001
Bit of advice from the experts required......

My 182 failed the MOT on emissions last week, the CO reading was 0.57, all other readings are ok.
The tester advised me that the lambda sensors might need changing, so £240 later took it for a retest and the reading was exactly the same. Bugger.

I had a sports cat and stainless system fitted 18 months ago, so I started to suspect this was faulty, but the exhaust fitters (long life) tell me that the cat, which is only on a 1 year warranty, may have been ruined by the car. So i need to get a new one fitted, another £200.

My problem now is, assuming it passes the MOT retest on Friday, what can I do to avoid needing to put a new cat in the car every 18 months? Could it be a dodgy remap by a previous owner?

Can anyone advise an expert I can turn to in the South London area?

BTW I haven't noticed excessive smoke or fuel consumption, and it runs perfectly.

RB 182 FF
Just out of interest in the 18 months you've had the cat on have you had a missfire of any sort which needed a plug change or anything? Because this can damage a cat and cause poor emissions...

Was the car properly warmed up before it was tested?

You've had your pants pulled right down there ! Why would you change both sensors at the same time anyway? Not to mention a good diagnostic session would tell you if they were working properly or not !

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Chuck some redex in it, heard that can do some good with emissions but never tried it myself!