ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failed - which front discs/pads?

Clio 172 Mk2
Aup all

My 172 cup mot failed on a couple of things today. The first thing being the front discs are excessively pitted so can anyone suggest the cheapest place for new front discs and pads??

Secondly it failed because the rear brake efficiency was too low and the compensator thing was missing. I know the compensator thing isn't meant to be there on the cup but is the braking configured on the cup to only give a certain amount to the rear or are my pads on the way out?? Really could do with some help

clio 172 sport
try eurocar parts and gsf cheaper than ebay for brake pads and discs. not to hard to change.

yoz does several brake packages if you fancied spending a little bit more to upgrade over what you will be spending? www.yozzasport.com is the site.

re: the rear compensator thing, do a search as there was definitely a thread about the MOT issues...

172 ph1
Someone should make the brake thing sticky.

From Renault: "The Cup does not have the load valve connected and as such the rear efficiency is low. I believe that the Vehicle Inspectorate are aware and have advised all testing centres of this characteristic. Ask the testing centre to review the newsletters they have received specifically: Matters of Testing - issue 31".

Here is an untidy link to the article, the lack of brakes is right at the end.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT Issue 31 - Apr 2006.pdf

Clio 172 Mk2
hmmmm having a weird afternoon about this whole mot thing. Just going to get in the car with my dad to go and buy some front discs as my local stockist has them in, when we decided to have a look at the discs i have on at the moment. The fronts are aboslutely fine so can't for the life of us understand why the tester had noted they're excessively pitted, don't know what to do now, might have to go back tomorrow

172 ph1
Might be on the inside.
They can look fine through the wheels, then when you get a good look from underneath you see they are completely shot, with only half the pad making contact.

Clio 172 Mk2
skinner thats bloody awesome mate, cheers for that. that's one problem sorted anyway! yeah should definately be made a sticky i reckon