ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More problems with the 182

Clio 182
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help,
Last week went to start my 182 but it wouldnt start, it cranks over but doesnt start, its happened 3 times in the last week, ive pushed started it to get it going everytime, ive had the battery tested and its fine, so im thinking starter motor? Ive just drove it 5mins around the corner and the EML has started flashing, only for around 30seconds, seems to be running abit sluggish and sounds like a tractor from the inside, ive had the lambda and cat changed around 2months ago, any help would be much appreciated! Im thinking about just driving it into a river!!

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Try the usual suspects, crank sensor, injectors or coil pack. If it's actually turning fine but just not firing I'd rule out the starter motor. Also if the EML is flashing best to get it hooked up on diagnostics to better pin point the problem, or you might be throwing money at parts you don't need.

Clio 182
Try the usual suspects, crank sensor, injectors or coil pack. If it's actually turning fine but just not firing I'd rule out the starter motor. Also if the EML is flashing best to get it hooked up on diagnostics to better pin point the problem, or you might be throwing money at parts you don't need.
Ive taken it to garages a couple of times and theyve said if the eml is not on they wont get the codes up, ill phone a garage this morning and see if they can have a look at it, cheers mate

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
If it was on and isn't now and there is a problem it should still log and store the codes, if they haven't been wiped since it came on. Yeah get them to check it anyway :)

Last edited:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Flashing EML light is Injector(s) - I would remove the top inlet manifold and remove the spark plugs one by one to see if one is more black than the others - this will point out the faulty injector. Or just replace all the injectors. There was a deal here the other day by @SmokeyTheBandit .

The not starting is likely to be the crank sensor/tdc as above, this is located under the throttle body look for this:
26062008206.jpg

Its under the 1B sticker in the pic. Undo both those 10mm bolts and pull the sensor out. clean out the sensor part - wirewool is handy if you have some.
Does it sound like it is actually trying to start the car - can you hear the starter motor working? have you checked the connections to the starter motor.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
You also have a new revised "blue" version of the crank sensor.
Thats the one you want! I got mine from a scrapper, but you need to cut the loom as well as the connector is different.

Clio 182
Yea it sounds like its really trying to start, just doesnt fire up, im s**t with mechanical work, have no tools, was just looking for some advice so i got an idea of how much its going to cost me this time, thanks guys

RB Clio 182
It wont cost you anything, you only need a 10mm socket and ratchet mate, those two bolts, remove them and the sensor will pull out, clean it with some wet and dry paper and stick it back in. Save yourself £50+