ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More clio turbo's

Ph1 T
Don't know weather it's cos I've done mine I'm noticing this but I seem to be reading/seeing alot more clio turbos knocking about..

What's the reason behind it then? Why do you prefer one over say just buying a faster car?

I did it simply because I loved everything about the cars setup handling/braking bar that lack of straight line speed and managed to source a donor car at a good price so thought why not...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I got mine because I wanted a cheap to run trackday car that is still genuinely quick.

I could have bought an evo for what it has cost me of course so I dont mean cheap initial cost, I mean the the running costs, as a standard evo isnt as quick round a track as my clio turbo, and a modified one that is ends up costing a fortune in tyres and clutches and even fuel compared to the clio.

Plus I just love hot hatches in general and the clio 172 is a great example of one in everyway except the limited standard engine, so this way I get a great car but with decent power too.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I would have bought a Focus RS but I've always had Fords so having a break from them. The Clio was the best all rounder for me in terms of price, features, handling and with the 230bhp turbo kit fitted it shouldn't be too slow either. It retains the aircon and at the price I've sorted its nearly 1/2 the price of the Rotrex kits.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have you got an uprated diff m6tmw / allan?

For track work I view them as pretty important for a turbo clio.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Are the megane's no good on track? They seem cheap as anything, was considering one myself for a while. Remap to 260/270, seem reliable enough from reading the forums?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've been looking at the Quaife (and had a heart attack) as I love how it altered my Fiesta turbo but I only do a couple of trackdays each year so I'm not sure I'd see the benefit of it for what it would cost me.

The Quaife in my iB5 box cost £400 and was only used for running in on a race car before fitting a sequential box. I doubt I'd get one that cheap for the JC5 box. I'm hoping that running decent 205/50-R15 tyres rather than 195/50 will help put the 230bhp/215lbft down.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are the megane's no good on track? They seem cheap as anything, was considering one myself for a while. Remap to 260/270, seem reliable enough from reading the forums?

They are ok, just remember they are heavier which reflects on performance and also increases the cost of other consumables, brakes, tyres, fuel etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've been looking at the Quaife (and had a heart attack) as I love how it altered my Fiesta turbo but I only do a couple of trackdays each year so I'm not sure I'd see the benefit of it for what it would cost me.

The Quaife in my iB5 box cost £400 and was only used for running in on a race car before fitting a sequential box. I doubt I'd get one that cheap for the JC5 box. I'm hoping that running decent 205/50-R15 tyres rather than 195/50 will help put the 230bhp/215lbft down.

Retail is 900 quid on a quaiffe for a JC5 (+VAT although can be had for 900 all in if you know where to look) and then you have to fit it which is a ballache, its a shame because it REALLY does transform the way a turbo clio drives when you fit one.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I've come up against a couple on track and been very impressed by them. I'd have bought one over a Clio had it not come down to price.

When I sold my car I used most of it to clear monthly outgoings rather than put into another car otherwise I'd have gone for a R26.

That said the Clio is a bit more raw/fun.

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got an uprated diff m6tmw / allan?

For track work I view them as pretty important for a turbo clio.

Running the standard box, but smashed a hole in it about a month ago and had to replace it :S
Not had huge problems with getting the power down but i think a diff is on the list of things needed.

Ph1 T
Chip did you ever track the turbo before you fitted the diff? Was it still fun or not so good due to the power, wheels spinning ect

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip did you ever track the turbo before you fitted the diff? Was it still fun or not so good due to the power, wheels spinning ect

Yes I did mate, was still an ok car on track but particuarly for the tight or wet corners you really notice how much sooner you can get on the throttle.

Ph1 T
Okay I am planning to fit a quaffe around summer time I suppose getting a few days in before will just get me used to it then ill notice a difference once I fit the diff..

Just booked blyton on the 21st April Sunday. If you'd be interested? Got a few decent cars coming down with me

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We're all off to Combe on the 27th April, so by the time I have to work mon-fri in between it would make them back to back and I like to have at least a couple of weekend days between trackdays if possible to give me a chance to do maintainance in between if required plus from Somerset blyton is a long way to go just for an airfield day tbh (although I believe its Tarmac for more of the track these days?)

Ph1 T
Oh s**t yeah forgot you'd not yet moved to Nottingham. Your right it would be along way for you and yeah I believe it's all Tarmac now..

Can't wait tbh get it out for its first run praying the engine holds out sure it will though..

Don't get that water issue still it's doing what you said when I fill the tank it eventually goes right down to minimum line then just sits there :/ can't for the life of me find any leaks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fingers crossed you have a good day mate.

We are still waiting on the rest of the housing chain to sort itself out so still don't know for certain if we are moving even though we have had an offer accepted and have accepted one on our current property that we are selling to move. I hate all this waiting around just want to know for certain if its happening or not!

Ph1 T
I bet it's a nightmare tbh I haven't had to go through all this yet as only renting but imagine its a ball ache..

Sure we will bump into each other on trackdays if you do come up here though :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I bet it's a nightmare tbh I haven't had to go through all this yet as only renting but imagine its a ball ache..
yeah it's all the waiting that's the killer when you are trying to make plans.
Worse still for Lesley as she doesn't know yet if she needs to be quitting her job and finding a new one or not yet and when it does all finally go through it will all be with just a few weeks notice so will then all be a rush.

Sure we will bump into each other on trackdays if you do come up here though :)

Hopefully if you use your mirrors to know when to get out of my way there won't be any bumping ;)

seriously though if we do move I'm looking forward to being near a few other Clio turbo owners :)

Ph1 T
Yeah work could be abit tricky like you say with notice ect...

Haha I was going to say I wouldn't bother cleaning your car just before as it will be covered in my dust well bonnet anyway.. I've got a nice exhaust youll get a good look at though ;) lol

Yeah should be good think there's a few getting built locally now aswell so all should be good for maybe a few meets and stuff

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah work could be abit tricky like you say with notice ect...

yeah, wont effect me as although Ive got 3 jobs currently that I do, the part time 2 are work from home only and the other one although I only work from home a bit when I do have to go to client site its near london so I already have to travel away and stay in a hotel for that anyway, so will be the same other than the drive getting slightly longer in the first place.

Haha I was going to say I wouldn't bother cleaning your car just before as it will be covered in my dust well bonnet anyway.. I've got a nice exhaust youll get a good look at though ;) lol

Yeah when coming up to lap/overtake people you do get to view the back of their car for a while if they dont have decent enough track manners to get out of the way, you'll not see my exhaust for long though after I pass so no worries about dust on your car ;)

Yeah should be good think there's a few getting built locally now aswell so all should be good for maybe a few meets and stuff

cool stuff :)