ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

more bullsh*t from LAD!!

Elise/VX220/R26

Following my "LAD investingation" I thought Id leave it for a bit and try getting those illusive details out of Good old Ernie at LAD.....

Me to LAD

Hi Ernie
>
> I emailed you some time ago asking you to confirm the exact changes made
to
> the engine in your clio 172 200BHP conversion as I need to know for so I
can
> insure the car properly. Ive got the cash together now so as soon as you
> can confirm the details for me I can get the car booked in (any chance of
it
> happening before christmas?)
>
> Look forward to hearing from you
>
> Regards
>
> Jon

--------------

LADs Reply

Jon
With reference to your enquiry on the Clio sport 172 engine conversion,The
extra power is obtained from extensive cylinder head mods and tweeks that we
keep to ourselves, this also increases the torque along with the bhp.Once
again read the results from our web site on the independent road test report
that has sold even more conversions and that is why our Clio Cup was voted
2nd best tuned car of the year out of 20 entries by CCC Magazine.Can you
name any other Renault tuning company in the UK that has there modified cars
tested by a magazine i think not, and you can shortly read about our latest
project the New Citroen C2 or better still see the car at the Autosport show
in January on the Safety Devices Stand.Anyway back to the Clio since I last
replied to you the next Clio sport conversion is the second week in February
because of demand for this kit.
Regards
Ernie Larton.

--------------

My reply to LAD

Thanks for the reply Ernie.

Unfortunately I cant risk running my car without knowing whats been done to it (I have a previous conviction for not declaring engine mods on a car)**This is not true but part of the cover story why I needed the details** as you can see I need to be 100% pukker with my insurance or Im stuffed!

Ive seen the mag feature, well done but Its nothing to do with what Im asking you is it?

Unless you can expand on "tweeks we keep to ourselves" I cant go ahead. Other tuners I have contacted have no problem telling me whats been done to the car. To be honest it makes potential customers feel very wary when you wont tell me what my £ks of pounds are getting me!

Thanks

Jon
------------

And thats it. No more replies from good old Ernie (probably too bvusy counting his money from all the "work" hes been doing on his "200" conversions.

So the bottom line from LAD themselves is For 3 grand you hand your car over for "extensive head work and tweeks we keep to ourselves" and you get back your 172 that puts out 200BHP with the cat still on and it will pass emissions tests.

LAD your full of sh*t.

i dont think anyone in their right mind would by anything without knowing what it is they are actually paying for! seems stupid.

surely someone out there has had it done (obviously cos they said the high demand stuff), they must be intruiged and taken there engine apart to see what has happened. they probably have a huge batch of them +20nhp resistors off of ebay!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Theyll certainly loose a lot of money by not telling them whats in the job.

But not to worry,once k-tec get their 250 bhp clio turbo from mexico l.a.d will be wishing they were more honest to there customers.3 grand is a lot of money for head work that i dont believe for a minute gives you 30 bhp.Hopefully the 250 clio will come in around 5 grand and then lad will see that ripping people off doesnt always pay..

Good work jonnyboy.

Regards,ian

Jonnyboy, I think Nick Hill has had a good look at exactly what LAD have done to the engine of a MK1 172. The owner was so disaapointed with the work he had Nick fit some cams and a chip.

Contact Nick and he might go into more info about what LAD actually did...

Elise/VX220/R26

yeah it would be intresting to know. Ive just persued it out of intrest after hearing all the dodgey stuff about them. I never thought they would be as blatant as this though!

I think theres a definite trading/advertising standards case here. I rekon they might add 10 BHP with headwork and ECU alterations but they claim that they dont replace the ECU, decat or modify the exhaust/manifold so there just no way they are gaining 30 BHP unless they are boring it out!

Elise/VX220/R26

I rekon we should go up there with a cam corder and pounce on him as hes getting out of his car

"Mr Lanton we have substantial evidence that your ripping off unsuspecting motorists do you have anything to say..." and he sort of hides his face with a copy of the daily sport

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 21 December 2003

"Mr Lanton we have substantial evidence that your ripping off unsuspecting motorists do you have anything to say..." and he sort of hides his face with a copy of the daily sport
LMAO!

Get LAD on watchdog, let them do it.......hehe!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

all sounds a bit dodgy to me. if it was that easy to get 200bhp without sky high emmissions and only head work why have renault only done a 182 not a clio 200!!

Has any1 ever seen this mystical 200bhp LAD converted car??

Quote: Originally posted by SilverRSC on 21 December 2003

Has any1 ever seen this mystical 200bhp LAD converted car??
Yeah, its got some headwork done to it and a 4.7K ohm resister on it!

200bhp easy! LMFAO!

in fairness from what he replied id say it meant he didnt want to tell you EXACTLY what they did to the cylinder head!

theya re a company, if they went around telling every1 how they get 28bhp from a 172 engine then ppl wud go somewhere else and get it cheaper!!

ive heard the LAD stories, but on this occasion i dont reckon they are lying! with a good head you can probably scrape 200bhp, and they dont specify at what rpm!

for all you know it cud be 28bhp gained at peak revs, and then a really sharp drop off in power as you drop below the peak revs! thus their amrketing is completely correct, but this wud still leave customers disappointed!

just my 2ps worth, i think youre all too harsh to judge them, ive heard all the horror stories and about their optimistic rolling road, i wouldnt use them, but i wouldnt slate them without some pretty hard evidence! of which im yet to see :p

what makes me laugh is that he keeps mentionin his mag feature!

If i recall, in that mag feature, wasnt the LAD conversion the only car tat ran a slower 0-60 than the standard version!!! mmmmm! makes me want it right away! lmfao! what a bunch of jokers!

THe freaking article was sh*t too!

There were only about 2 decent jurnos on that mag, the rest who contributed did cars for a living.....thats what made that mag good....

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

on a personal level, we actually encourage customers to come and see their engines while they are being done... if they cant we provide a CD ROM that has pics of the whole conversion etc etc

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 21 December 2003on a personal level, we actually encourage customers to come and see their engines while they are being done... if they cant we provide a CD ROM that has pics of the whole conversion etc etc

Are you saying you work for LAD then? Where do they get the pixie dust from for the conversions?

On a more serious note the main point of what were saying is that LAD expect you to hand over thousands of pounds for something that is unproven (They have been invited by cliosport to a rolling road session) and they refused to give me details of work carried out even though I stated I needed it for insurance purposes. Mag Features and pictures are trimmings. WE WANT RESULTS!!!

If you do work for LAD would you swear on your mothers life that the conversion is totally pucker or is it a proper attempt at ripping people off?

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 21 December 2003

on a personal level, we actually encourage customers to come and see their engines while they are being done... if they cant we provide a CD ROM that has pics of the whole conversion etc etc
And on a similar note, Nick Hill also shows you exactly what hes done and worked on our car while we were watching. I dont think its unreasonable for customers to be able to see what they are going to have done. LADs approach is more "well, well sprinkle it with magic fairy dust and we get 30bhp extra out of it".

£1200 for a back sports exhaust (about £150 I guess) head work (BenR said something like £500 I think) and an Induction kit (£65 I belive).

So thats a total of £715 for which they charge £1200.

Also exhaust head work and Induction kit would only be ~25hp I guess as the 172 has already has a decient head on it at the factory.

I guess LADs car must have been a good one and gave them more than stock power before they started but a normal 172 has ~166hp.

I dont trust them but they get the business and at the end of the day why should they care if there cars make less power than stock. They got money from people and make a nice profit.

EDD

Dont forget replacable issues such as gaskets and labour though.

THe head is fairly good, not great as the machining is very erm.......robot manufacture limited. But the std inlet manifold is pish poor....get a fair amount from that alone.

Getting over 200bhp on the std plenham with the correct work isnt impossble.

jonnyboy -

So you send emails to a tuning company full of made up nonsense and expect them to happily give you full details of the mods they do that have taken them years to develop, whilst at the same time posting on here telling everybody what your up to. Are you really surprised that LAD have started to ignore you? Do you really think they cant read ? Oh, and where did you get £3000 from ?? - Ive just rang them and been quoted £1200 fitted

Im a customer of LAD and Ive actually driven their Clio demonstrator, Of the 12 (I think) posters above- how many of you have actually been and driven the LAD modified car or have you got your opinions from the same place jonnyboy got his price?

that article wsa pretty conclusive! not sure how well the writers know their stuff, but they definitely seemed impressed!

every1 has heard the LAD stories, but if they were THAT bad then why do ppl keep on going back?:cool:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by badgersport on 22 December 2003

jonnyboy -

So you send emails to a tuning company full of made up nonsense and expect them to happily give you full details of the mods they do that have taken them years to develop, whilst at the same time posting on here telling everybody what your up to. Are you really surprised that LAD have started to ignore you? Do you really think they cant read ? Oh, and where did you get £3000 from ?? - Ive just rang them and been quoted £1200 fitted

Im a customer of LAD and Ive actually driven their Clio demonstrator, Of the 12 (I think) posters above- how many of you have actually been and driven the LAD modified car or have you got your opinions from the same place jonnyboy got his price?

hmmmm earnie is that you?

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 22 December 2003

Quote: Originally posted by badgersport on 22 December 2003

Of the 12 (I think) posters above- how many of you have actually been and driven the LAD modified car or have you got your opinions from the same place jonnyboy got his price?

hmmmm earnie is that you?

none of us have because we didnt fancy paying out 700 quid for them turn up and put their car on the rolling road and silence all their critics most tuners of any worth will happily provide RR print outs or turn up at RR day events happily to show owners clubs what they can do, its called advertising and proving the product they are selling obviously a foreign concept to LAD surely if they shut us all up and prove themselves then they would have earned them selves some respect and a few orders for the work to be carried out to more cars as a result. why we should shell out 700 quid for petrol, beer, pies 5 star hotel accomadation and high price hoes for the weekend for LAD to prove their product is beyond me, we offered to pay for their run on the RR which i think was fair enough but they fobbed us off and made us more dubious than we were before, bottom line is that most peeps on here would sooner have a red hot poker shoved in their ringpiece than have their car modded by LAD

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

No lad suck. if i could be bothered or had the time i would phone them everyday and shout "t**t" down the phone but i dont so i cant.

Remeber how the bloke tried to buy me? after he f**ked up with the £70,000 a second rr run thing?

They will never lay eyes on any car of mine.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 23 December 2003

No lad suck. if i could be bothered or had the time i would phone them everyday and shout "t**t" down the phone but i dont so i cant
hehe the office stlye "youre a c**k youre a c**k youre a c**k" to gareth pmsl