ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More 12k service woes (South/West)

I, somewhat unbelievably, have had 6 completely happy, trouble free years of Renault motoring, my first car was a 1996 Clio RN, took that one beyond 100k without any hint of trouble, my second car was a new 2003 Clio Dynamique, also solid but didnt keep it long. Now I have a 53 plate 172 Cup, again its bloody fabulous (touch wood), but Ive hit my first real major annoyance with Renault dealers, and to be honest I feel like converting to Japanese or something...

12k service is approaching so I phoned Platinum Renault in Bath, despite me being 2 miles from Platinum Trowbridge I avoided them because nobody I know gets on too well with them or has anything good to say, £150? £180 maybe? Nope, £240 at Bath for what is basically an oil change! So, annoyed by that I decided I must be able to do better...

Fish Brothers Swindon = £230

City Renault, Bristol = £210

Platinum Renault, Trowbridge = £250

Most were phone calls but I popped into Trowbridge, one hour wasted trying to get a respectable cost. Frustratingly every time I asked, they came back incredibly defensive when quoting the cost despite me not saying a word. "oh quite a lot of work to be done there, filters to be changed and stuff" was a typical unprovoked comment, its almost if they were embarrased to say how much it would be.

I still have a list of 7 dealers to phone tomorrow, some up to 100 miles away because I know £150 should be achievable but I cant even get close to £200 at the moment. Does anyone down this way know of somewhere to get a full 12k warranty loving service (on a Saturday probably) for a decent price? I called Nationwide Autocentres but they never got back to me and I still dont know if their work will be warranty valid yet.

Also as an aside, Im happy to supply the oil but does it have to be Elf /Excellium? Although Ive found 5w40 about I cant get Elf anywhere, its all Castrol locally.

BG 182, R26

I feel for you mate. Ive got the same model clio as you and when I was coming up to my 12k sevice I was checking this board to get a feel for how much it was going to cost me. Some of the prices quoted were unreal.

So I bit the bullet and phone my local Reno dealer, Arnold Clarke in Wigan, to book the car in. I told them I was going to supply my own oil and asked for a quote. I couldnt believe it when they said £125.

They did the service using my oil, even left the spare oil in the boot for me, and everything was fine. Came to pay and it was £122........bargain. I dropped the car off with them at 9am and had it back by 12.

I can understand regional variations in price but not to the point where one person could pay double the amount for the same service on the same type of car.

For what youve been quoted it would probably be cheaper to drive to Wigan and back to get it serviced. ;)

BTW if your after some Elf Excellium 5W40 fully synth then contact Debra at Total Butler on 01977 603363. You can get 24ltrs (12 x 2Ltr bottles) for £69 delivered to your door.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Had my 172 36k service in Wales (west wales) for £136 all in!
Booking my 182 in for 12k service this week!

clio 200

£136 for the 36k service, you lucky git, excuse the language!!! only i have just been quoted £340 becuase its a major one, whoopie all they gotta do is filters and spark plugs