ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco 172 from Road to Track (on a budget!)

Megane Diesel / 172
Haven't been on here for a while so thought I'd update with a new thread the work that have I have done with help from my brother to get the road going clio below that I bought to the track toy we now have. We have done all the work ourselves (well my brother has done the technical as he's the mechanic). Just about everything has been sourced through ebay etc and bought by selling parts from the car that we have taken off.

I not put too much detail in the narrative as I think pics tell a story just as well.
Bought this Monaco for £1,500 in 2011 from a woman who obviously had no interest in Clios!

Clio Original.jpg

I always had the intention of running the car on the road for a while before tracking it so first job was to get it lowered and at the time I was looking to keep the 17" alloys (mistake!!). So purchased some KTR coilovers and some new discs all round and refurbished the wheels.

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

Ran the car like this for a while but the wheels were too big and the coilovers too crashy (I have kept them and they are fine on track, not much is quicker than us through the corners)
IMG_0747.JPG

After struggling with the wheels for a couple of months I saw the light and sold them to purchase some Phase 1 Turbines, this transformed things to say the least.

IMG_0938.JPG

We did some more work, taking the fog lights out to use as air ducts etc and then took the car to our first track day and from that point we were hooked, after this the car came off the road and we started work on stripping it and making it a true track only car.

CLIO CASTLE COMBE.jpg

First thing was too strip out the interior, paint in hammerite, insert some buckets and a roll cage. Again from ebay (Seats with Harnesses £220. Roll Cage £150 unpainted) We had the roll cage and some wheels for our dry tyres powdercoated.

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0993.jpg

During this time we also purchased some Polycarbonate windows and a Ktec Supersport exhaust with decat. We were now ready for our first proper track day with a trailered car, Castle Combe here we come!

IMG_1025.JPG

We were optimistic in the morning with the sunshine and it was great we only had a few hours were we had to run the turbines with our wet tyres during the day.

IMG_1071.JPG

It was a great day and just made us more determined to do more with the car, Prt 2 to follow....

Megane Diesel / 172
This is the second part of our project build for our budget track car, after we got back from Combe we started looking on how we could improve things, we noticed that the cheap and cheerful wheels we had for our dry tyres where also incredibly heavy!! We purchased some of these Cruize 15" alloys and had them powdercoated Grey (bit more understated than the pink 😊) Between this and our last track day we were put in contact with somebody who could supply us with used Pirelli slicks for a very reasonable price so that was our next upgrade.

WP_20140304_001.jpg

WP_20140321_001.jpg

The pther problem we encountered was the engine getting very hot so we decided to get some air in there by fitting a Subaru vent with the fins facing into the engine and air filter. I know this isn't going to be everybody on here's cup of tea but it works!!
WP_20140107_004.jpg

WP_20140107_008.jpg

WP_20140107_013.jpg

I then took a look at the engine which was a sorry state and had to have a weeks holiday to use up so I gave it a little make over. Later we also had the cambelt replaced and air conditioning delete kit fitted. (Left this to somebody who knows what they are doing, my brother works on trucks and buses!!)

WP_20140123_008.jpg

WP_20140222_005.jpg

WP_20140221_00420140222115344.jpg

We finally fitted solid top mounts and a Pure Motorsport strut brace.

WP_20140603_006.jpg

One more instalment (I cant work out how to put in more than 10 pics :grimacing:) to follow....

Megane Diesel / 172
Yeah, don't really know what I was thinking with those, the new ones are better! Check our part 2/3. I got there eventually...

Megane Diesel / 172
For some reason would only let me put 10 pics up at a time, sure its me being stoopid but I couldnt work it out.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
For some reason would only let me put 10 pics up at a time, sure its me being stoopid but I couldnt work it out.
Host them with flickr/photobucket and put as many hotlinks in as you want. Much better way of doing it.
Also.. if you have to upload to CS, just add another post, not another thread........