ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modifications and their effect on a cars value?

S3, Polo
A combination of reading on here about people who modify their cars to use on trackdays, then never take them on track and sell the car soon after because they've compromised their daily drive and seeing a highly modified car for sale the other day - got me thinking: Do *serious* modifications add value to a car? Not bodykits and the peasant tat that Halfords peddle, but the things that actually uprate a car's chassis/ engine/ overall performance/ etc. (for example: cams/ coilovers/ lightweight wheels/ four pots/ etc.).

One might argue that a car, regardless of its modifications, is worth what a buyer is willing to pay - but finding that one buyer could be a monumental task if the car is modified for a niche activity (such as trackday driving) as to make the prospect too much effort for some??

Regardless of how much the car cost to reach the pinnacle of performance (for it's given sector) it's never going to pay back what it owes. So is it a pointless endeavour in the first place?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your going to spend £££ in the first place on a car then yes its worth paying a bit more than average too get one already done

if your into standard cars and find a minter, the perfect car then its worth getting it cheap as possible to buy the bits needed to get it back to standard

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldnt think so as alot of people see it as being tampered with.

Personally when looking for a car i look for one thats completley standard and in the best condition possible.

I just dont see the logic in saying it has a so and so exhaust so therefore that adds value, it should have an exhaust in the first place regardless

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I saw a car for sale the other day that got me thinking: Do *serious* modifications add value to a car? Not bodykits and the peasant tat that Halfords peddle, but the things that actually uprate a car's chassis/ engine/ overall performance/ etc. (for example: cams/ coilovers/ lightweight wheels/ four pots/ etc.).

One might argue that a car, regardless of its modifications, is worth what a buyer is willing to pay - but finding that one buyer could be a monumental task if the car is modified for a niche activity (such as trackday driving) as to make the prospect too much effort for some??

Regardless of how much the car cost to reach the pinnacle of performance (for it's given sector) it's never going to pay back what it owes. So is it a pointless endeavour in the first place?

Discuss.

But you dont mod a car to add value, you mod a car for the fun of it and the fun you get out of the mods you put on it.

S3, Polo
^ Don't get me wrong, I 'get' that, but in the eyes of a prospective buyer does it add any value whatsoever?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Buy a Clio 182 for £5,000 on monday, fit cams/remap it and fit some £600 coilovers to it on Tuesday. Will you sell it on wednesday for the £6500 it now owes you? No. It will sell for the £5,000 its worth.

Thats the way I look at it anyway.

Clio 1970000000
But you dont mod a car to add value, you mod a car for the fun of it and the fun you get out of the mods you put on it.

+1 which is why I don't understand people who mod cars then immediately say they are bored and sell them.

S3, Polo
Buy a Clio 182 for £5,000 on monday, fit cams/remap it and fit some £600 coilovers to it on Tuesday. Will you sell it on wednesday for the £6500 it now owes you? No. It will sell for the £5,000 its worth.

Rightly or wrongly, that is my view on the matter too!

Chelsea tractor

That's what I think

Da

Less
It depends to be fair.

182 turbo's seem to go for above what a standard 182 would but they never, ever recoup what has been spent on the conversion.

I think coilovers, brake kits and mild mods will never add any real value to the car.

Adding an owner usually devalues the car anyway :dapprove:

If I was buying a modified car I would want receipts for everything that had been changed. For example, I used to own a MK1 Golf trackcar that was heavily modified but if I didn't have receipts it would have been a nightmare for the next owner to buy parts, the brake discs and pads were actually Rover 800 fitting, the exhaust and manifold were custom parts, the engine was from a Corrado etc etc. Nothing wrong with buying modified, just know what you're buying.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I agree, with you.

My Road car is lightly modified, Ie wheels, a exhaust. But all the standard parts are in the shed.
The Modified parts are worth more seperate. Also you can not fully enjoy cars on the road.
So the Track car is heavly modified because we get to test it to the limits and really enjoy it.
The track car is worth a small fortune in parts (or to the right person) But it wont be sold.

172 ff
i think its a personal choice.if u want to mod it then fill your boots if not keep it standard. i have modified all the cars i have had and always lost money but i never thought for a min that i would make money or even break even.i got my 172 standard and thats how its staying.my mates got a s2 rs turbo its standard and only done 46k hes been offered daft money for it.