ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK7 golf

An orange one
A white golf R came past me yesterday and it looked superb!

i will refrain from judgement until a version worth commenting on appears, looking at that it may as well be an Astra / Kia / Hyundai

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I will be getting one at the beginning of April. Not had chance to actually look at one in the flesh yet.

Which model is that one Russ? I'm getting the SE, I wanted a GT but the budget wouldn't reach

Please tell me it's a company car.

53 Clio's & counting
All look exactly the same to me other than getting 'pointier' each time:

vw-golf-mk7-05-630x284_zps641e29d0.jpg

Lol.

Apparently, the designers have to keep the same shape rear quarter panel - if you look back to the mk1 (The bigger picture of the above one) and the rear quarters all look roughly the same

Turbos.
As said by someone else, it is like an upscaled Polo outside. Inside, i would say it is different, rather than any better. If they launched the Mk6 as a new car, you'd probably say the same thing! I sat in an 2.0 TDI Bluemotion and it was nice for what a is middle of the road specced car.

The infotainment screen is larger, there is an electronic handbrake and more rear legroom. The boot is split level, but nothing 'must have'. I think the GTI and R will look good, purely because they will look similar to the outgoing cars. Supposedly there could be a Diesel R too...a model for the sake of it IMO!

Either way, with them coming in at 100kg lighter than the Mk6, the performance variants should be pretty rapid. Emissions are lower and fuel economy better too boot. Presume they will have 7 speed boxes too to further help things?

Only worry for the new platform is the new A3 (same car essentially) was beaten by the Mk6 Golf in its road test by Autocar!

M135i
Is it just me, or has the mk7 arrived very quickly?

I'm sure the mk6 didn't last that long in terms of model life cycle? Seemed a lot shorter than the mk4 and mk5 cycles?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As said earlier Ant the Mk6 was more of a facelift as the 5/6 were the same platform.

120d M Sport
Apparently, the designers have to keep the same shape rear quarter panel - if you look back to the mk1 (The bigger picture of the above one) and the rear quarters all look roughly the same

All about the chunky 'C Pillar' supposedly.

It does nothing for me.

Never above 25mpg
Like the F30 to the E90, not that much of a difference unless side by side.

Awful colour and pov spec doesn't help the one at Russ's garage though!

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Am i right in thinking that the car in Russ' first post is a poverty spec?

If so then its just like when images were released of the new clio, everyone comparing the flagship models to the base models.

For me though the MK5 is by far the best looking.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The thing is, the Germans are very good at updating a car but still managing to keep it a shape that people recognise. Everyone recognises a Golf, whether you're a car bore like us or not.

Oh, and the GTI looks f**king awesome of this. Love how the red strip goes through the headlamp too!

2014-VW-Golf-GTI-1.jpg

mk7-Golf-back.jpg

DB.

BMW 440i
That MK7 is my favourite GTI yet, wheels could do with improving though. BBS >.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What's the list price on the pov spec? Have they broke £42,500 + delivery and registration yet? ;)

I suppose we'll end up with one or two of the oil burners at work - so I'll see how they compare with others here. Tbh, I've much prefered the newer Fords over the VW offerings for simple A to B transport.

D.

They NEED to make a 3 door cupra... ever since the 225 cupra R I couldn't help but think it was mental only offering it in 5 doors.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Im really not the biggest fan of golfs they are of very good build quality but the planet weighs less than a Golf lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Im really not the biggest fan of golfs they are of very good build quality but the planet weighs less than a Golf lol

Not really? I MK5 golf is 1300kgs..they just feel heavy. Probably because they're made well. Incidently the same weight as a meg 225.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They NEED to make a 3 door cupra... ever since the 225 cupra R I couldn't help but think it was mental only offering it in 5 doors.

They probably sold more as a 5 door mate, look at the hot hatch competitors at the time with 3 doors. I do love the look of the Cupra 225, except maybe the boring interior.

Leon Cupra 300
I went in a modern Golf for the first time the other week. 59reg MK6, basic 5 door model. Wasn't impressed in the slightest, the back doors specially had no weight to them and just felt a bit - i expected more/better, wasn't a patch on my E90. I realise they're cheaper etc but still...