ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK4 GTI 1.8T

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I sold my Saab on Sunday, I was sad to see her go as it's probably been the best car I've owned. It was by far the hardest to sell though. I decided I was going to look for something cheap. The below cropped up on eBay at a reasonable price and only 10 minutes from my house.

KGrHqRHJCYFBveUECiuBQeuBzn6Yg60_58.jpg

KGrHqVHJCMFBrYq0WiOBQeuBq0PVg60_58.jpg

KGrHqFHJFYFBrYwGnKeBQeuCCYIF60_58.jpg

It's a 1.8 T, on a 51 plate and just ticked on to 100k. It was a company car up untill 70k so plenty of history for that period and it had a belt change at the start of this year. I've not noticed any marks on the bodywork but I've yet to give it a clean, no doubt there will be something.

I'd have to agree with the usual "dull to drive" comments, but it feels solid and is very comfortable on the motorway. Aslong as it proves to be reliable I'm sure it will be ideal as a daily.

Last edited:
I don't care how dull mine is to drive, its easier to drive at 100mph than any 106 or clio. Have you got recaros in yours?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Nice purchase. You have to love tornado too. Can be had very cheap and such reliable cars for the money. Being a 51 plate it's probably a AUM with a K03s. Def map it. You WILL be shocked at the difference.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I don't care how dull mine is to drive, its easier to drive at 100mph than any 106 or clio. Have you got recaros in yours?

The seats don't say Recaro on them, they are red and black with pretty big bolsters. They seem very supportive and there is minimal sign of wear.

Nice purchase. You have to love tornado too. Can be had very cheap and such reliable cars for the money. Being a 51 plate it's probably a AUM with a K03s. Def map it. You WILL be shocked at the difference.

I'm pretty sure it is the AUM, but how would I find out for certain? What would a map see, 180/190?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The seats don't say Recaro on them, they are red and black with pretty big bolsters. They seem very supportive and there is minimal sign of wear.

I'm pretty sure it is the AUM, but how would I find out for certain? What would a map see, 180/190?

No they wont be Recaro's. They're the later spec sport seats. Just as good really.

It's stamped on the top of the engine or if you check the sticker in your spare wheel well that'll say. A AUM will map closer to 200.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T

No they wont be Recaro's. They're the later spec sport seats. Just as good really.

It's stamped on the top of the engine or if you check the sticker in your spare wheel well that'll say. A AUM will map closer to 200.

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Will deffo be AUM with K03S turbo. Mine was on a Y plate and had it.
Good news is you'll get better remap figures with 3s than just 3. Same turbo as Octavia VRS and the Leon Cupra's you were looking at a while ago.

If you're on a budget and want a generic map give me a shout mate. Company I used is mobile and superb feedback.

Have a look on golfgti.co.uk and ukmkivs. Plenty of info and parts....

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cheers Kev, I'll sign up to those forums tonight and have a look. How much did you pay for a generic map?

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Paid under 200 for remap. Really makes the car what it should have been as standard.

Recommend upgrading diverter valve to a Forge 007p and Pipercross panel filter before doing if you decide to go for it. Will pick both up second hand for around 70quid. I also upgraded TIP , turbo intake pipe to a Forge item. Although none of this is needed to be done, obviously increase in figures shows up any items that may already be well worn or possibly due to fail..

Mine is an x reg with recaros in it?

If you don't have a set then I'd recommend getting a set. Transforms the ride.

TTRS & V50
I had the full leather heated Recaro's in mine, easily the best seats I've sat in TBH ! However from there on I hated mine. Comfortable and good on the Motorway, that's about it.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is an x reg with recaros in it?

If you don't have a set then I'd recommend getting a set. Transforms the ride.

Cars after 2001 had the sport seats. I had the sports and changed them for Recaro's. Tbh i prefered the sports.

2014 Clio 200t edc
A mate has just got himself a audi a3 1.8t, very quick!! This must be similar as its the same engine iirc.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Its got a massive exhaust and metal air filter feed etc (whatever it's called) not mega fast but on boost pulls quick!!

I think with a remap it would be a similar pace to a 1*2 in a straight line. But standard it certainly doesn't feel fast.