ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 ph1 starting problem

Mk2 Ph1
Hello all.

I have a mk2 ph1 clio which has been a great runner and now become a complete pain to start.
Basically a starting problem has developed and i cant seem to find the problem.
When i put the key in and turn the imobiliser light changes from a slow flash to a high flash. if i continue to turn the as if i am starting the car it cranks but dones not tick over, as if somthing is stopping it from starting.
I have looked on renaultforum and on here and havnt managed to cure the problem.
Iv tryed sparying the key fob chip with good old wd40 and that woeked for a bit now that has worm off. i have also replaced the tsc sensor to see if that makes any difference and nope nothing.
The odd occasion the car starts after i hacw sat there flicking the key for the best part of half hour she runs beautiful. does anyone have any ideas what it could be and how to fix it.
People with the same problem are going to renault and having a £600 dyno to find no error. any help you be appreciated.
Cheers.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
When i put the key in and turn the imobiliser light changes from a slow flash to a high flash. if i continue to turn the as if i am starting the car it cranks but dones not tick over, as if somthing is stopping it from starting.

That's the immobiliser.

It sounds like your key's not working properly, so the immobiliser doesn't get the OK signal and stops the car from starting. Have you not got a spare key?

Mk2 Ph1
Hiya. ye i have one spare key and it does exactly the same. iv tryed replacing the batterys and still the red flashing light appears.

Mk2 Ph1
Tryed the decoder ring and no joy. Looked at the wiring back to the ECU and around the barrel but couldnt see any problems. Need to look at the started motor to check all the connections are ok. Did wonder about moving the Earth cable but everything seems to be fine where it currently is. What to do, what to do...

Mk1 16v brooklands
Theres no uch on a ph1

Do what i do mate and squeeze they key whilst turning it, my spare key needs replacing

Mk2 Ph1
Iv tryed that buddy and it doesnt work. Everybody seems to be able to do it that way and somehow mine doesnt.. Not too sure what to do next

C1 VTR (Company Car)
I could do with having a look at this, but I have a feeling my problem will be more mechinical, that's just my luck. Most of the time my car starts fine, but sometimes when I turn my key the starter motor just goes, but the engine wont fire up, but theres not even any sound as if its trying. I try and try and then it will randomly just start up.. But I've also noticed it does this more often when its been raining heavily.

Renault Clio 172
I could do with having a look at this, but I have a feeling my problem will be more mechinical, that's just my luck. Most of the time my car starts fine, but sometimes when I turn my key the starter motor just goes, but the engine wont fire up, but theres not even any sound as if its trying. I try and try and then it will randomly just start up.. But I've also noticed it does this more often when its been raining heavily.

I've been having a similar problem lately with my 53 plate 172. Occasionally the car has not started first time but ALWAYS started after that. Last week I did about 30 miles, stopped to get some petrol and it would not start up again. Starter motor was going over fine but not firing up. Left it for 10 mins but no joy, stuck in the bloody petrol garage. I had to go somewhere so got the train and came back about 4 hours later...started first time. This has happened again since with the missus driving. The only thing that happened was the key being dropped on the floor. I'm gonna use the spare for a while but is there anything else this could be? Car has been running fine, new set of NGK plugs about 8 months ago. I'm stumped. Could it really be just the key? I changed the key batteries a while ago when the starter wouldn't even turn over.