ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 PH1 1.2 Grande - My First Car

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I really liked you photoshop. If i'm honest, i'm not keen on the current state of your car.

If you know you going to get another Clio (172/182), why don't you go ahead with the alloys? They wont be a waste of money as you can use them for track use when you upgrade the car. Also the front splitter looks like its hanging off on the corners? Also +1 on the 'should have gone dual optics'.

p.s, just realised I missed the last page of the thread! Car still needs all the above imo. Good luck changing the head gasket, its a piece of piss on these engines so I imagine you will have great success. Its very rear for them to fail mind you. I had to replace my D7F in my mk1 years back and the oil pressure dropped and the engine seized. Was a really easy job, such easy engines to work on :) Obviously doing ahead gasket means you can leave the engine in place and just support it with a jack. You should have it done in t a few hours :)

Last edited:
Right where do i start haha...

I litterally dont have any money, thats not like ... oh i dont have any money but ill buy smaller bits for it. I actually dont have any money and am trying to fix my head gasket.

The wheels ... I just want to drive it at the minute i dont care about the trims.

The splitter ... ive just replied to a guy offering me a laguna one saying that i cant buy it.

as soon as my engine is turning over again, ill get some cheap alloys.

and finally as for the 172/182, im a uni student working at a pub on the weekends, until i get another job im struggling to afford this one at the minute.

When i get some money together my top priority is dual optics, exhaust, lowering and then alloys.

With regards to your splitter - Skoda Fabia splitter is £12, fits perfectly with a few screws to hold it in palce and you jsut trim off the end. Looks nice and tidy OEM. - Just as a money saver for you when the time comes.

Arctic Blue RS 182
Wanna be careful with the sun roof on the clio because they leak like made my old man lifted the whole sunroof lining up and siliconed it because it basically got a swamp in the drivers footwell and it was a lot of water just be careful mate check along you A pilar for damp and above your head on the right side

So after a nearly a year I decided to take the plunge and get some dual optics for just £25 from a scrap yard, just need a slight bit of restoring as the car had been sitting there for a good year or two (got the 3M kit on order), certainly tidies up the front end and should be easy enough to wire in. Couple of months and I might lower it.

newlights.jpg

Passed its MOT today after miserably spending about £250 to get it moving. Although my advisories were 1. A front tyre slightly worn and the other my AIR FRESHENERS were on the mirror, one of two which had been put on there by the garage who had just fixed this morning.

So, I'm looking to lower my car in the coming months. I've done this photoshop and i'd quite like it to be around this height, is this roughly 60mm, as i cant really have anything more than 40 to get on my drive (it's rasied at the end and hard to get onto the road)

mecar.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2
Nice car mate :) I had a V reg. same engine, same colour XD. manage to brought it back to life after snapped timing belt....
modding continue.

Renault Clio 1.2
Nice car mate :) I had a V reg. same engine, same colour XD. manage to brought it back to life after snapped timing belt....
modding continue.

thanks, ive got a few plans in the next few weeks it should change a bit. I'm thinking black on blue tinting lights and i have a thing for slightly tinted windows so that might happen.

It's been a while since I did anything to this purely because the MOT and head gasket did me over, just a couple of things have changed due to me being able to declare stuff very cheaply. Plus my my insurance has gone from 1600 to 780 from 1 years no claims

So to start with I decided to get some alcantara effect material and have done my A pillars, steering surround, light surround and handbrake cover. Also want to do my doorcards in this as i have loads of it.

2013-08-06152400.jpg

2013-08-06152334.jpg

2013-08-06152318.jpg

2013-08-06152354.jpg

Put in a cheap engine temp.

2013-08-06152346.jpg

Next is a new head unit and 12" sub (£40 of a mate, so its not like ive paid £130 for an edge sub :), pretty damn bassy though and good sound)

2013-08-06152324.jpg

2013-08-06152457.jpg

Fully de-wipered now with a nice bung

2013-08-06152509-1.jpg

Also tinted my interior light, still gives good light at night.

2013-08-06152423.jpg

Sanded down really smooth and sprayed my wing mirrors black.

2013-08-06152524.jpg

had to go back to these (my passenger sidelight didnt come on, so I hit the light which did work but at the same time the indicator fell, I laughed.)

2013-08-06152520.jpg

makes me look really fat haha

and that's about it now, time to save for a new car.

Last edited:
Ok, so for about 6 months its all been interior mods but i took the plunge and went for it on the out side this time. :), not something you usually see on a 1.2 but hey ho.

Its the new 4D stuff and it has a really glossy look even then its still textured

carbonbennet2.jpg

How tricky was:
putting the Laminx on the fogs,
using that alcantara material,
wrapping the bonnet?

also - Where did you feed the wire for that thermometer? I have the same kind from eBay! currently the sensor for mine just hang on the dash.

How tricky was:
putting the Laminx on the fogs,
using that alcantara material,
wrapping the bonnet?

also - Where did you feed the wire for that thermometer? I have the same kind from eBay! currently the sensor for mine just hang on the dash.

The fogs were really easy litterally stick the tint on, heat it up with a hair dryer and wrap the edges round. EASIER if you take the fog light out of the holder.

Alacantara - I bought a massive piece of material off ebay, used craft glue from B&Q, basically wrapped it round the object and it stuck.

Bonnet - Now, me and my mate have been messing round with vinyl for a few years now and wrapped quite a bit of stuff and it took us about 5 hours to get it perfect and wouldnt suggest you do it as your first wrapping project, takes a lot of skill and thought to figure out where the vinyl is going to go with all the creases in the bonnet, you can basically end up with a stretched pattern, rips, heat burns and also a wonky pattern. also i wouldnt go for the 4D stuff as its just not up to scratch yet, ends up patchy. the normal 3D stuff is the best.

as for the thermometer, i wanted to show my mate that you can get an engine temperature gauge for less than a Big Mac as aposed to his £70 alternative :), just went round the door seal, opened the bonnet and fed it through the engine bay, the wire wasnt long enough to go through the firewall

The fogs were really easy litterally stick the tint on, heat it up with a hair dryer and wrap the edges round. EASIER if you take the fog light out of the holder.

Alacantara - I bought a massive piece of material off ebay, used craft glue from B&Q, basically wrapped it round the object and it stuck.

Bonnet - Now, me and my mate have been messing round with vinyl for a few years now and wrapped quite a bit of stuff and it took us about 5 hours to get it perfect and wouldnt suggest you do it as your first wrapping project, takes a lot of skill and thought to figure out where the vinyl is going to go with all the creases in the bonnet, you can basically end up with a stretched pattern, rips, heat burns and also a wonky pattern. also i wouldnt go for the 4D stuff as its just not up to scratch yet, ends up patchy. the normal 3D stuff is the best.

as for the thermometer, i wanted to show my mate that you can get an engine temperature gauge for less than a Big Mac as aposed to his £70 alternative :), just went round the door seal, opened the bonnet and fed it through the engine bay, the wire wasnt long enough to go through the firewall

Thanks, Might have to look into just how easily my fogs will come out!
The alcantara sounds fairly easy too if it's just glued on.

The bonnet looks real good though, there's no trouble from the engine heat at all is there (that you've noticed) ?
Hah that's nice and simple for the thermometer! I was going to feed one through to my mirror and have one run up the A-Pillar for an Int/Ext temp but recently managed to get a mirror senor to fit!

Thanks, Might have to look into just how easily my fogs will come out!
The alcantara sounds fairly easy too if it's just glued on.

The bonnet looks real good though, there's no trouble from the engine heat at all is there (that you've noticed) ?
Hah that's nice and simple for the thermometer! I was going to feed one through to my mirror and have one run up the A-Pillar for an Int/Ext temp but recently managed to get a mirror senor to fit!

nope no trouble from the engine, basically i do everything on a budget so everything DIY, i just go on the basis that theres always a way haha, All these little mods make the difference to me, id rather do it myself than buy these expensive parts and bodykits haha

TT QS
I like everything bar the bonnet. Simple mods done well. Just that ruins it to me. My opinion of course. How hard was wrapping the alcantara?

Yer i ended up taking it off last week as the patchiness was annoying me haha, the poc with the megane splitter is how it stands now.

The material wrap took no effort really just took a while

TT QS
The meg splitter is so much better I think. Adds a little something to the front end. I may get some material and give it a go

so how much do you think this litle setup cost?........ £4.70 haha. Old K&N Filter from a carboot for £3 - fully cleaned and oiled now, 90 degree bend £1.70 from a hardware store, its part of a toilet haha, I'll spray it when i get round to it. Also got some new alloys on the way. :)))))

filter.jpg

clio 1.2 16v express
LB-1;10005i33 said:
so how much do you think this litle setup cost?........ £4.70 haha. Old K&N Filter from a carboot for £3 - fully cleaned and oiled now, 90 degree bend £1.70 from a hardware store, its part of a toilet haha, I'll spray it when i get round to it. Also got some new alloys on the way. :)))))

filter.jpg
On your 1.2 engine, was there not a rectangular shaped box that connects to your standard air filter?
I have a ph2 but just realised yours isnt. Want to make a diy intake like that but it doesnt lookk that simple on mine.
Love the bargain hunting btw.

TT QS
Bargain! Will the pipe be okay with any heat? Looks like what we sell at work and if it gets warm it could get ruined. Not hating btw lol

Bargain! Will the pipe be okay with any heat? Looks like what we sell at work and if it gets warm it could get ruined. Not hating btw lol

Yer i know what you mean and i was a bit dubious, i'll just have to see, i went for a spin round town came back and checked the heat, it was only a bit warm so should be ok for a now

On your 1.2 engine, was there not a rectangular shaped box that connects to your standard air filter?
I have a ph2 but just realised yours isnt. Want to make a diy intake like that but it doesnt lookk that simple on mine.

Mine is an imbetween model in 2000, has some ph2 parts for example. It also comes with a cylinder air filter instead of a square one, so it was pretty easy to take off and do this

Clio RS 200 Gordini

I started crying at this point haha, excellent! Keep it up, this is actually turning out nice!