ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 172 - Fan type noise

Just got my 02 172, fantastic car but there is a fan type noise coming from the central interior light panel on the roof? it has holes but is standard and when held quietens down. (it not a rattle) Any ideas before I rip it apart this weekend?

Cheers

VaVa

Correct. Draws air from the cabin over the temperature sensor. Dont think theres too much you can do about it unless you intend to replace it.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

This is why they changed the design for the 182, it has no fan in the interior light fitting and the temp sensor protrudes from it.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

mine does it too, but i put up with it. You might be able to take it to bits and replace the fan. It could be dust or hair caught in it or just need lubricating.

Just taken it all apart!! its the fan itself that makes the noise only to worsen when in contact with the plastic casing, just poor quality.

is that fan important? can the aircon/heater live without it?

Clio200 EDC Lux

It circulates the air past the temp sensor I think, It would probably still work but you may the climate control may not regulate the temperature as well

Quote: Originally posted by Storm_Force on 10 May 2005

Yeah mine does it at well, doesnt bother me though as its only noticeable when stationary and with the stereo off.
^^^^^

I agree. my 51 reg 172 does it, but Ive had it for 18 months and I just live with it. But I have always got my stereo on loud with proper music.

Mini Cooper S sport

Ive never heard that noise, Ill have to have a listen (not that I care anyway as its going soon).