ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Phase 2 Clio 1.2

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta
Thought I'd start a build thread up on here. I'm new to the forum and decided to join after getting my girlfriend a MK1 Clio to learn to drive in after realising my car isn't really sensible enough for her to learn in. We've only had it a few days but this is how it arrived.

null_zpsbd5aa7f5.jpg

null_zps9e154611.jpg

Not had much chance to do alot to it. The MOT is due tomorrow so I've been giving it a good going over and everything seems great, apart from the wire going into the brake caliper(ABS sensor?) had snapped so I quickly sorted that out.

So far I've managed to
  • Fix the wing mirror as it was held in by blue tack.
  • Remove stickers from all the windows (still had the original dealership sticker on the back window)
  • Gave the wheels a lick of paint
  • Sorted out a bit of surface rust on the wheel arches
  • Polished and waxed. Will be having a full paint correction soon.

So when I decided to sort the rust out I ended up going on a mad mission and cleaning out all the wheel arches and hammeriting them.

IMG_1761_zps256876ca.jpg

Not a Great job I know but its alot better! Also if somebody could let me know what the wire is going to the calliper that would be great. I thought it may of been for the ABS but it doesn't seem to be working if it is.

Also we picked up a RSI spoiler (think it is an RSI one anyway) for dirt cheap. It was painted lime green so it needed sanding down and spraying. It wasn't a perfect match but it's not too bad either.

1175624_207425086091947_577516335_n_zps1bfcce32.jpg

546907_207425072758615_1585296343_n_zps0f697c2e.jpg

Haven't managed to get any other photos as of yet. But future plans include
  • New wheels - Opinions would be great as I have no clue about Clios. Something OEMish would be great though.
  • A sensible drop. Most likely 30mm as the girlfriend is learning to drive in this and we need a 2nd car that can get places unlike my car :rasp:
  • New UK legal pressed plates.
  • Dewiper. Do I need to weld the hole? or can I get a grommet that will fit the odd shaped hole?
Also I'd like to fit an alarm/immobiliser after noticing how easy it is to break into these cars.

Thank you for taking the time to read and any opinions are welcome.

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta

Ohh nice! I've sent the seller a message to see if he would courier them at my expense. Oxford is a bit to far to collect though! Thanks :)

If the wire goes into the top of the caliper, could it not be a brake pad wear indicator? Or are mk1 Clio's not modern enough? Tidy car by the way buddy!

That's what else I was thinking but with it being a 1996 and a really basic model I can't see it having it :/

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
Hi mate i'm new to this too with a mk1 clio 1.2 its nice to see others on here :) williams wheels would defo look nice or maybe some rsi wheels with a 30mm drop would look mint

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta
​Ads not up anymore, did you get em?

Nope :(. Didn't get a msg back either

Hi mate i'm new to this too with a mk1 clio 1.2 its nice to see others on here :) williams wheels would defo look nice or maybe some rsi wheels with a 30mm drop would look mint

Good to see I'm not the only new one with a little 1.2. But yes, I definitely think Williams or RSI alloys are the way to go. I want to keep it oem looking with a few subtle mods :)

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta
Quick update. The mighty Clio has just flew through its MOT. The tester and people who worked at the garage couldn't believe how clean and tidy the car was. Always nice to get complements :)

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta
So today I thought I'd get busy with the Hammerite again. I decided to wire brush and paint the subframe and whatever else had rust starting on it underneath the car.

__zps830cc562.jpg

Looks so much better now. Next thing on the list is discs and pads on the front and some new drums on the back.

Haven't got anymore photos except this one with the almighty Clio up on the ramps behind my Mk5 Jetta.

993668_208295739338215_1149114759_n_zps0345abde.jpg