ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 clio v6?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
instead of the mk2 in a few years when i can afford it? i really want a vee,i cant wait! im on finance,payed 11,500 back in march for my spotless 182. any advice please guys?

SLK 350
My advice is you paid too much for your 182, and not to bother with a MK1 Vee. Half the car that the MK2 is and that's saying something. Just save for a few years more. The V6 is a modern classic (IMO) so it's still going to look great in 5 years time.

Dan maybe in a straight line, but show it some corners and your arse will be twitching.

SLK 350
Aye, but I definitely think for your average driver the MK1 is far from ideal. Clarkie modded his suspension at all?

Clio v6
Nothing wrong with a MK 1 V6 if you're prepared to learn how to drive a car properly.

MK 2 Vees have some nicer luxury bits if that's what your after.

Lionel Richie
plus the mk2 is better built, you can see where they've stuck the V6 pannels onto the original pannels on a mk1

still a great car, just not as developed as the mk2 (tyres are cheaper on the mk1, thats about it!)

An orange one
ive had both..

the mk2 is the boy....a very very quick car A-B plus much nicer inside..better colour choices etc..

however...as a fun packed, interesting...still capable driving machine...the mk1 is a good car...just watch...it will bite if driven anything like how you'd drive a 182

320d
i dont rag my 182,im sensible!

i'm not being funny mate but if you don't rag your 182 then why buy a vee :S i mean the whole point in owning a hot hatch ,or supercar if u class the vee as one, if to drive it as it is meant to be driven - fast!!

but at the end of the day its your car to do what you like with, i'd also get the MK2 vee they are a more rounded product.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
^dude if the fuzz dont catch you now, they will soon enough, believe me.

im only going to get a faster car if i move further out than greater london. Some of the pics people post on here during a country drive is great, nice bendy roads ete make me jealous man.

only get it if you can enjoy its full potential.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
i do open up my 182,just when its safe 2. i dnt wanna lose my licence! iv always wanted a vee,i love the cliosport range and not gunna end up wrapping it round a tree just coz theyre spose 2b driven fast!

320d
^dude if the fuzz dont catch you now, they will soon enough, believe me.

they wont mate because i only have a 1.2 16v and theres no point in going fast it that, but i'm sure everyone on this site opens there clio sports up on a country road etc, i don't believe in driving dangerously but i mean your going to have some fun otherwise you wouldnt have bought a hot hatch would you.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I own a Mk1 and I've driven a Mk2 a couple of times. In the end, I decided that for the money you're looking at for a really mint Mk2 (£16k+) you can have a truely mint Mk1 with the same miles, cambelt done, and £5k in your pocket - which helps with the crippling fuel consumption.

The Mk2 interior is miles better, with more toys, no way round it. Personally, I think the Mk1 front end looks better, more aggressive. They're identical from the back. As a sweeping statement also, from been on V6Clio.net for 6 months, Mk1s seem to be as reliable if not more so - maybe because they weren't actually built by the french heh ;) But they are all better built than the run of the mill Clios in my experience.

As for the performance - we had a little play in a little convoy to the FCS - only up to the legal limit of course ;) - and in a straight line up to reasonable speeds there was nothing in it between the Mk1 and Mk2 - at all. I expect at really big speed the Mk2 would maybe stretch it's legs a bit more.

Handling, well, the Mk2 is safer, understeers more, the Mk1 is immense fun but if you take the piss WILL kill you - the Mk2 is the same if *really* pushed. In the wet they're both best left to pros to be driven hard. I tend to just pootle in the wet - because I'm so NOT a pro heh. There is easy 2nd gear tail out action to be had in the wet though - although personally I really don't want to practice this on the roads heh, there is too much to hit.

That's my thoughts. The Mk1 still draws a crowd and always has people stopping to look, take camera phones out etc heh. Great way for talking to birds ;)

Dan

There was nothing in it between the 172/182/V6 around Brands Indy.

I would go for the Mk1 Vee... but thats just because I like to progress up through the range. If I was to go straight for the Mk2 Vee then I wouldnt have anything left to upgrade to later on, and would feel I missed out on the Mk1

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
ive been looking at a v6 and i was wondering is the mk2 a 5k better car.

would a mark one with a decent suspension set up and say 3.5K for fuel and a few track days make up any difference