ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missing Something? Clio Cup Car Rear Brakes

Clio Cup Racer
Can anyone help?

I have a clio cup race car. I needed new rear brakes so got R77 01 204 901 discs from Renault.

With the old hubs the bearing was flush with the hubs. Therefore when the hubs were put on the car the hubs sat on the little round spacer and span freely.

With the new discs which come with bearings built in the bearing is resessed. Therefore when I put them on the car they lock solid when tightening up the hub nut because the hub is sitting against the little round spacer - not the wheel bearing.

Have I got the wrong discs?

Do I need a gold spacer for the discs I have just bought as this chap mentions here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57172&highlight=disc+part+numbers

Cheers.

RS RIP
Ca'nt really help you sorry. But i Know the Cupracers use all the 182 measurements on these ?

Vee 6
Check the webs on the back of the discs, I changed mine ( Standard PH1 ) and got set a set that locked up when tightened.

The second set had the same same strengthening webs but were much more shallow.

Clio Cup Racer
Just had a look again and the bearing is much much smaller in the new hubs/discs. Probably a good 5mm smaller.

Plus as I said the wheel bearing is resessed by about 5mm. Hub I had the wheel bearing was almost flush with the hub.

Supposed to be taking the car out on the 21st. :mad:

Clio Cup Racer
Local Renault garage.

Only other option is R77 00 204 901 - which I believe is discs without the abs ring - not sure if the bearing is any different.

Or if I buy a new set of spacer rings from Renault maybe they will be different from the ones I have?

Wheres Fred when you need him. :(

Lionel Richie
cup racer rear discs from memory are NOT the same as a road car, its been a while since i've worked on one though

spoken to r-sport?

Westy. MX5
I have the same problem as you Dave, the hub/disc came from GSF. Did notice that the old flanged spacer is stuck to the old hub/disc but not had achance to try fitting it yet as i'm working today, I'll have another go this eve. The ABS ring was even on the old hub/disc but makes no difference as far as I can see. Other people have mentioned a gold spacer on the hub but was not on my hub and may be an extra spacer due to the new different replacement hub/discs. As you say we made need another spacer.

Last edited:
  Clio Cup Racer
Cheers Soot1le does sound like the same problem.

I did come across this on Yozzasport site again but dont know if this is true or myth??

"a) Are you running a RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup Racecar? If so – you have completely different suspension units to the roadcar. The hub assembly and lower mounts are from a Laguna I believe."

So maybe its Laguna discs I need? Will have to speak to R Sport and Mardi Gras racing tomorrow, both closed today.

Westy. MX5
Hi Dave, Well I'm home now and just fitted my rear disc. It was as I first thought, missed out the flanged spacer as it was stuck to the old hub/disc, now fitted as described here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=499027
Thats what the normal road car hub/disc looks like. Any help? I can only think that your discs/hubs are the same but a bit bigger than mine.
I hope you find your solution soon.

Clio Cup Racer
Thanks Soot1e - I think thats exactly what I need.

Do you have that spacer as well as a big flat washer that goes against the end of the shaft sticking out from the rear axel?

Clio Cup Racer
Thanks for everyones help with this - especially Soot1e.

R Sport confirmed there was a Phase 3 disc and Phase 2 disc. Phase 3 is what I had fitted to the car and was an upgrade - comprising of a seperate hub and disc. It was more of a motorsport disc but no longer available from R Sport.

Phase 2 disc is basically standard 172/182 rear setup. I think they had a few problems with discs cracking - hense the upgrade.

To get the phase 2 discs on the car I did have to fit the different spacer which Soot1e mentioned. Yozzasport gave me the Renault part number for it. Got it Friday. Fitted it today, seems good. :D

Studs are slightly too long now as they used to be in the hub, come through the disc, then through the wheel. Now they are in the hub and go through the wheel. Not really a problem at all.