ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

missing 4th and 5th gear

nothing
hi there, new to the site, ive always promised myself at some point i would get a clio 172 and after selling my 2.0 16v corsa b ive desided to do it, i trained as a mechanic and even though i dont do it for a living anymore i like to get my hands dirty so looking at a project to play with, the car ive spotted looks really clena in the pictures and has some nice modifications but seems to be missing 4th and 5th gear, its been along time since ive owned a french car and know there gearboxes are never the best but was hoping someone could shed some light to what im looking at?

david

Don't bother, get a car that works.
I'm sure there will be something else wrong with it too.

It would cost you more to repair it then to save a bit more and get the car you want. (that works).

nothing
i understand what your saying but if the worst case is a gearbox at 300 then thats fine the car has a lot of mods that id do to one if i got it so on the one hand if the cars ok then i spend 300 putting a gearbox in it and have a great car or buy one standard and spent the money adding the mods which this one allready has

Mmm undesided lol ill go see it and have a look, ive been in contact with the owner and asked what nick the rest of the car is in and hes told me its spotless other then the issue of gears

david

If it's got all the mods you want, then go check it out in person, and make sure you check everything else is fine as he 'says'.
Also, take along with you a list of things to check, I think there is a thread on here with some tips on what to look out for when buying clios.

Good luck

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My question with a car like that is, if he couldnt be bothered to sort the gearbox what else has he neglected?

nothing
thats true but would be rude not to give it a chance

advert

Renault Clio 172 Cup in silver 3 door 2000 on the X Reg great looking car moted november no tax its got lots of reciepts,old mots,and a fully service history its believed to be 192 bhp its been remaped,Hks air filter,Proformance exhaust,front and rear strut bars,lowerd with adjustable's on the front,aftermarket steering wheel,aftermarket alloy wheels (all with good tyres 2 are new),window tints,rear spolier,half leather interior,cd multichanger, a/c,central locking ect only thing it needs is a gear selector/linkage as it only selects Reverse,First,Second its an easy,simple and cheap fix worst case it may need a box can get a Gearbox for £100 off ebay just now just lost intrest now due to new car must go £800 no offers if i dont get £800 for it i will get it fixed or break it for parts as engine interior and wheels alone is worth more than what am asking

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...-history-mot-nov/89447361#gallery-item-full-2

going to have a look on wednesday to see what its like and ill deside from there, as long as its just the box ill prob take it but ill be checking everything works when i get there, asked about paintwork and rust and he says its really clean and had no paintwork which is a bonus

davie

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Does the NS rear quarter have a crease? Why has he advertised it with the wing mirror cover missing? Why hasn't he mentioned mileage? I imagine it's not had the belts done if he's cheaped out on fixing the box either?

Even doing the work yourself, imagine you'd still farm the box out? Have a search for Agency transmission for likely rebuild costs. Personally I'd avoid at the price it's up for, better to be had for similar-ish money.

What's with the tints btw-does the guy sell drugs? :p

Listerine & Poledo
Sounds like a chavvy heap.

If that's your thing then fine, but be prepared to lose twice its worth in repairs.

Just get a good, straiht, unmolested one. You'll find they dont actually need to be "upgraded"

nothing
ill give it a chance, the rest of the details are shown on another advert from within his own area, there no crease and as for the mirror cover its a cheap item to replace, if its straight and it all comes down to the box then ill buy it a dechav it, ill get prices from my local transmission places to get an idea of the cost to repair the box and also have a look arround for refurbished and second hand boxes from companies with a good name rather then wasting 300 on an ebay gearbox, if its not had belts ill do belts, box and clutch at the same time and search for standard parts to put it back to its former glory i do plan to try and get it even cheaper lol and its for a toy to play with a project even so im not bothered about doing bits and bobs to it

Arctic Blue FF 182
ill give it a chance, the rest of the details are shown on another advert from within his own area, there no crease and as for the mirror cover its a cheap item to replace, if its straight and it all comes down to the box then ill buy it a dechav it, ill get prices from my local transmission places to get an idea of the cost to repair the box and also have a look arround for refurbished and second hand boxes from companies with a good name rather then wasting 300 on an ebay gearbox, if its not had belts ill do belts, box and clutch at the same time and search for standard parts to put it back to its former glory i do plan to try and get it even cheaper lol and its for a toy to play with a project even so im not bothered about doing bits and bobs to it

It's still going to be cheaper to get one in standard spec, and in better condition. I know you said you are a trained mechanic, but look around the forum about the cambelt replaced procedure. It's not the easiest of cars to do, and a lot of people screw it up. What mileage is this one?

Listerine & Poledo
Actgually, if it means they'd end up buying an honest motor and ruining it, I agree with the OP, take one that's already destroyed.

Save the honest few Clio's that are left for those who dont want "special enhancements"

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

dont forget belts clutch and box is going to cost you not far of a grand, £1800 would get you a resonably clean and working one! and save you a lot of hastle!

EDIT: BTW, thats not a cup!

Unless you can get it for 500-600 I wouldnt bother. and there is definitely some cosmetic damage on the rear quarter and above the door handle.

Id save your pennies and get one for around 1500.

nothing
ill go and see it first and reserve judgement till i see it, as far as belts go ive done work on them before, it says its got full history which is the first thing ill check to see whats been done to it, i cant seem to find many cheaper ones and i refuse to spend money on a car showing over 100k as long as the shells clean and straight and its blacked up with good history then ill consider it after owning corsas the last think ill let put me off is some easily reversed chav mods

nothing
i know its no excuse but the advert when the car first went out made perfect sense, im guessing after readvertising a few times the level of proper english and detail has went to the dogs

well i hope thats what the reason is, ive tried to contact another seller of another phase 1 locally but wont answer calls,texts or emails :(

nothing
well turns out the guy cant be in that much of a hurry to sell it so after aranging a day hes ignored me ever since lol

spotted a blue phase 1 with 95k just waiting no word back from the owner on history and general condition before going up to see it :)