ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missfire

Clio 172 cup
Wonder if anyone can help???? I took my 172 to the rollin road day today at Runcorn fab day but when I put mine on the rollers they discovered a low end misfire at 1800 rpm under load now the coil pack leads and plugs were all changed in 2014 so can't seen it been that is there anything else i need to check etc

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Check the plugs if you haven't done so already. Other areas worth a look are the injectors, ECP has them for £40, If you know its not the plugs, just buy one, and swap it round until the misfire goes away. Also, the coil and leads could be shafted if they weren't good quality ones (not accusing you of buying rubbish ones or anything).

Clio 172 cup
Check the plugs if you haven't done so already. Other areas worth a look are the injectors, ECP has them for £40, If you know its not the plugs, just buy one, and swap it round until the misfire goes away. Also, the coil and leads could be shafted if they weren't good quality ones (not accusing you of buying rubbish ones or anything).
So basically start with plugs and work my way up if you no what I mean

dan's cast offs.
Unsure nothing special I don't think would you think it would benefit from some updated ones

they don't like cheap leads, no need to spend a fortune, the standard renault ones are good. did chris not give you any idea what the misfire might be?

Clio 172 cup
they don't like cheap leads, no need to spend a fortune, the standard renault ones are good. did chris not give you any idea what the misfire might be?
We'll he said possible crank sensor ???? He also said if it was the coil pack it would bring an engine light on the dash,it's a weird misfire does it if your turning into a corner in second gear just under 2000 rpm and give it a bit of throttle just misfires then goes through it then it's ok

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
How did you no which one was at fault

I knew which cylinder the misfire was on by looking at the spark plugs. Any causing a misfire will be black rather than the brownish colour they should be. When an injector goes bad it tends to leak rather than stop adding fuel all together so you end up with a black plug. Once you know which cylinder the misfire is on you can try loads of things.

I'm lucky and had (probably still have somewhere) loads of Mk2 spares for diagnosing issues, coilpacks, leads, injectors. Started by swapping coils out, then the pack itself, and then the injector which cured the problem.

Plug colour will make it obvious where the misfire is regardless. Are you running the correct plugs too? They tend to spit their dummies out with anything other than the recommended NGK PFR6E-10.

Clio 172 cup
I knew which cylinder the misfire was on by looking at the spark plugs. Any causing a misfire will be black rather than the brownish colour they should be. When an injector goes bad it tends to leak rather than stop adding fuel all together so you end up with a black plug. Once you know which cylinder the misfire is on you can try loads of things.

I'm lucky and had (probably still have somewhere) loads of Mk2 spares for diagnosing issues, coilpacks, leads, injectors. Started by swapping coils out, then the pack itself, and then the injector which cured the problem.

Plug colour will make it obvious where the misfire is regardless. Are you running the correct plugs too? They tend to spit their dummies out with anything other than the recommended NGK PFR6E-10.
Unsure I've got quite a lot of paperwork with the car I will have a look tomoz il get there eventually

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Yeah, make sure the plugs are correct. Mine did the same thing, misfired around 2600 under load then stopped. It got worse though, so when it was fixed it was such a relief.

dan's cast offs.
We'll he said possible crank sensor ???? He also said if it was the coil pack it would bring an engine light on the dash,it's a weird misfire does it if your turning into a corner in second gear just under 2000 rpm and give it a bit of throttle just misfires then goes through it then it's ok

crank sensor is possible, worst thing with them is they can be iffy and not bring up a code.

Clio 172 cup
Just to let you all no who replied I put new plugs and leads on today and was quite surprised it sorted the misfire out happy days thanks for all your advice/replies

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
No worries, that usually is the problem, glad it's fixed, misfires are no fun at all.