ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfiring - Injector

Just need a bit of help with this one please, drove locally this morning, the car drove fine but when I got to the destination I noticed a massive burble, I had no engine check light on at the time so fed up I left it to go out with someone.

I've come back to the car, started although very hesitant, sounds like a tractor, I was thinking coilpack / injector problem at best, managed to limp it home, trying to remember how to check for injector problems, the only injector that didnt make a change in the engine running was second from right. Number 2?

Anyway when trying to click the injector back in the connection from the injector just broke off. So obviously thats fucked anyway. Im just hoping a new / 2nd hand injector will cure it.

ECP do injectors that work ok? going to have a look now. Would ideally like to pick one up tomorrow to have a go.

Any advice? Anyone got a spare injector in the essex / loughton area I can buy / borrow?

18447833_10158623972065510_645683652_n_zpsltq0uxuv.jpg

Thanks

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
ECP sell the Magneti Marelli injectors which are OEM.

You can measure the resistance across each injector but it sounds like you've narrowed it down to cylinder #2. For me the EML flashed which typically means injector. RsTuner was able to narrow it down to the cylinder.

Click & collect at ECP, use weekend55 discount code.

Ok thanks Ill have a look, discount code did work on ECP but I havent checked out yet, will it not go through?

Strange question but it smelt very eggy, is that just the unburnt fuel?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Ok thanks Ill have a look, discount code did work on ECP but I havent checked out yet, will it not go through?

Strange question but it smelt very eggy, is that just the unburnt fuel?

Will go through fine. @bloke is just referencing some other discount codes that exclude injectors.

And yes, get it fixed asap.

Ok going to collect it tomorrow as I dont think ill make it down there tonight. One thing after another ( not always the car ) !

Fingers crossed it fixes is.

Thanks.

Erm well that didnt solve it sadly. Looks like no 3 injector was changed at some point before my ownership as its cleaner, the left and right injectors look original. the injector needed changing anyway as it fell apart.

What can I do for tests now? I reckon it "could" be the HT leads?

Oh and the tiny little O ring washer on the fuel connction line, the black one not orange, has torn. does anyone have an ebay link to one ?

Thanks.

PH2 172
sounds like a tractor.

Tractors run smooth as silk.

Did you mean sounds like a Clio that has spat it`s spark plug?

For future clarification, all left or right hand components are handed from the drivers seat in the normal direction of travel.

Cylinder No 1 is at the gearbox end of a Clio.

Alright not a tractor maybe a fucked subaru? ha

Ill have to check plugs tomorrow, really hope one of them hasnt blown out and ruined the thread etc.

The noise does sound like it could have spat a plug I suppose.

Panicked and checked plugs, there tight, will try new ht leads tomorrow - possibly them ? Could still be an injector. Just because that one fell apart on me I suppose it could be another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Alright not a tractor maybe a fucked subaru? ha

Ill have to check plugs tomorrow, really hope one of them hasnt blown out and ruined the thread etc.

The noise does sound like it could have spat a plug I suppose.

Good place to start, and if all plug threads are good, run a compression test, gets that one out the way.

It only takes 10 minutes, if that to remove the top inlet manifold (10mm socket).

Keep/label plugs for in order for inspection.

Top inlet is off now for HT leads, can I run the engine with the top inlet off so I can check the end of the leads for spark? I imagine petrol will spray everywhre as I can see the injectors down the inlet ports (shame as I could see how the injectors are spraying).

Ill try the leads and go from there.

Ill try a few more things, if that fails ill have to buy a compression tester.

What plugs have you got, how old are they, and what condition?
What leads have you got, how old are they, and what condition, do they 'click' on well without any powdering etc?
What coilpack have you for, how old is it, and what condition?

Plugs correct NGK - possibly 2 years old maybe newer.

HT leads and coil pack have never been changed in my ownership as I'd never had a problem. No powdering at the end of the leads, I will have to try leads first I think.

I will whip out each spark plug after if that fails.

Is there a best way to test for a coil pack? I pulled two leads off the coil pack and they sparked, didnt check the other 2. Its the first time I've had real misfires on the car so Im new to it all.

I'd pull the plugs out and see how they are looking on each cylinder, and maybe clean them up for good measure too.

If your getting HT leads, don't get the ECP ones...

Coilpack, unsure apart from removing it from the inlet and giving it a visual for any cracking

Why not ECP ? its my only option at the moment, cant be bothered waiting days, might just try them to see if it solves the problem then go from there.

Will inspect the coil pack.

I reckon it could be another injector at the moment. not sure where to go from here.

Why not ECP ? its my only option at the moment, cant be bothered waiting days, might just try them to see if it solves the problem then go from there.

Will inspect the coil pack.

I reckon it could be another injector at the moment. not sure where to go from here.

ECP ones around £20. You pay for what you get. Go Renault OE or if they are too expensive I've just changed my 'Prospark' ones to the Matt Lewis Racing ones which have made a great difference for my car. Or if your feeling flush go Magnecor, however I keep hearing good and bad with them lately?

Ok, so how can you check for spark at the end of the ht leads with the manifold off just for interest?

I might pick up another injector as well as the cheap leads for now just to see if I can solve the misfiring then I'll get some better ht leads on it.

I'll also whip each plug out and have a look.

dan's cast offs.
I might pick up another injector as well as the cheap leads for now just to see if I can solve the misfiring then I'll get some better ht leads on it.

the cheap leads are crap, don't bother using them even if it's to rule out a problem with leads. they are £12.00 for a reason!!!!!

dan's cast offs.
never known anyone have a code work for injectors? i get my stuff over the counter and it's always cheaper than online even with discount codes.

plugs don't look the best, what mileage? have you looked at what the lambda is doing?

I put it back together and had no missfire, drove round the block fine then it started again. Managed to get some fuel in it.

Missfire under 2.5k then it's fine, coilpack?

Need to look in notepad for mileage on plugs, I reckon they need doing anyway so will.

Just found an arcing noise I think it's leads. But around coilpck area anyway.

Right euro close at 4 and I've got to go to work now.

Please any links to reasonable but good OEM type leads and coilpack?

Will the HAAS coilpack from carparts4less be any good? might just order it and have them turn up monday.