ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mileage discrepancy

Clio with a body kit
I'v just done a hpi check on a car I viewed at the weekend and only one thing was flagged up and that's a mileage discrepancy. What do people think about this. Is it anything that would put you of or could it just be an honest mistake?
image.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
tough call. if it was more of a difference then yes. but as its so small im thinking no.

but it makes me think theres something dodgy so if i couldnt get to the bottom of it id steer clear

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
MOTs - possibly declarations on V5s too.

Assuming the car was new in 2003, it won't have had an mot until 2006, so where has the info come from before then?

Unless it had 5 owners in first 2 years (seems unlikely)

Clio with a body kit
Thanks for the input. Yeah I think it comes from services and owner changes.
think I'll dig a little deeper with the owner. The car is only on 36k now.
The current owner seems very genuine and owned it for 3 years. He reckons the bloke he bought it of was going through a messy divorce and locked it in a container for years.
My first impression was it should of read 26750 miles rather than 2675.
If it is a genuine mistake is there anyway to try and rectify if any relevant service history can't be found.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The mileages are inputted every time someone HPi's it.

The information is only as good as the people that record it sadly.

It wouldn't bother me personally, but it could cause you a headache come resale time if it's a tasty car. If it's some £1000 knacker then don't worry about it as long as the car/history checks out ok.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have had this issue ages ago with my car and when i done a HPI check it had done 100K in under a year.

It all boiled down to NMR making a typo and putting in the wrong milage. If i recall i spoke to steve @R-Sport Cars LTD and he pointed me in the correct direction.

I had to go through everything and get all the data which involved MOT's , Service invoices, Chassis number, Car reg, pictures of milage and loads more and send it off for them to examine.

You need to remember NMR are dealing with numbers and digits all day so there is bound to be a few mistakes.

Clio with a body kit
The mileages are inputted every time someone HPi's it.

The information is only as good as the people that record it sadly.

It wouldn't bother me personally, but it could cause you a headache come resale time if it's a tasty car. If it's some £1000 knacker then don't worry about it as long as the car/history checks out ok.

Thanks for that. That's a pretty crap system, I will talk to him again. Maybe a negotiating point. Only had a passenger ride in it but everything seemed good. Will take it for a drive when iv sorted some insurance.

Clio with a body kit
I have had this issue ages ago with my car and when i done a HPI check it had done 100K in under a year.

It all boiled down to NMR making a typo and putting in the wrong milage. If i recall i spoke to steve @R-Sport Cars LTD and he pointed me in the correct direction.

I had to go through everything and get all the data which involved MOT's , Service invoices, Chassis number, Car reg, pictures of milage and loads more and send it off for them to examine.

You need to remember NMR are dealing with numbers and digits all day so there is bound to be a few mistakes.

My initial thoughts were typo but the more I think the more I convince myself it could be something dodgy.
Sounds like it could be impossible then as the early history isn't with the car anymore.

Clio with a body kit

My initial thoughts were typo but the more I think the more I convince myself it could be something dodgy.
Sounds like it could be impossible then as the early history isn't with the car anymore.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What car is it?

As said, it's over 12 years ago so it's less than likely that you'll find out what happened (whether it was a mistake or something else).

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Might be stating the obvious and/or missing something but why are the first date records of each year a solid round 1000?

Smells of guesstimation to me

Rs200t lux
Has it had a plate change my x5 suddenly got a extra 100,000 miles on it when I stuck a private plate on it
It turns out it was from a G plate Sierra that had been round the clock
Thus when it next got a mot the reg pulled up the private plate millage and then somehow it got on the finance register