ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin pilot sport 3

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Fact?

Slower on track and less grip on the road on our Meganes, Can send you some datalogs if you want to look at them?

Anyway, I'm out. You can carry on but in my own experience they are worse than the PS2's they supposedly replaced. Ill stick to my PSS's for road use

Yes fact. They stop quicker than the PS2s, ergo more grip.

I'd say supersports are overkill on a 250hp car, but each to their own.

Clio 182
Just because a tyre is more expensive doesn't necessarily make it the best out there... But it's like anything. Different opinions, driving styles etc... Not every tyre is going to be to everyone's taste and not everyone will agree bla bla

I really liked the Dunlop sp sport maxx RTs that were on my M3... Found these outperformed the eagle f1s I had on before which to some folk might seem like the better tyre.

End of the day, buy them, if you don't like - punt and replace. Easy

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I'm running PS3's on my S40. Currently running about 300bhp and 370lb-ft and have no issues with grip unless purposefully angering it!

Even in the current weather conditions 3rd gear onwards I have no problems putting full power down.

Only downside is that they've only been on for about 4k miles and are probably aleady half worn and at £115 a piece for 225/40/18's they aren't the cheapest option.

Clio 182
Fact?

Slower on track and less grip on the road on our Meganes, Can send you some datalogs if you want to look at them?

Anyway, I'm out. You can carry on but in my own experience they are worse than the PS2's they supposedly replaced. Ill stick to my PSS's for road use

Jamie, your personal experience differs from the theory, therefor your opinion and experience is invalid... sorry its just how the internet works ;) haha

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
As far as I knew the PS3 sacrificed a little dry grip for improve wet performance. So maybe they are a little softer and the heavy megane makes this noticeable. On a 182ff my Dad and I couldn't fault them over 15,000miles of commuting and wet and dry track days. This was a full set however. Maybe they don't mix with other tyres.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Tyres are very subjective and I think performance can differ between tyre sizes and what car they are fitted to.
Some people really rate T1-Rs but I went past a T1-R shod race spec 182 around Rockingham easily with my AD08Rs. Likewise some people really rate the Conti Sport Contact 3 but I found them really lacking in the wet.

When it comes to buying tyres I tend to base my decision mostly on my own experiences or people whose opinions I trust.

You went past a 182 with road tyres in your car with track tyres?
Who'd have guessed it.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I can't fault any of the premium tyres. I really struggle to figure out how people make such gaping differences between them all. I remember looking at the Times boards at sprints when people were having a big Toyo 888 vs Yokohama bust up and you couldn't draw any conclusions what-so-ever. Maybe the conti sport contact 3's are worse than others but they didn't stop me ploughing my way round a soaked airfield. I think this will be my last comment on a tyres thread as all the tyres I use are useless apparently [emoji14]

Even lightly track bias tyres will be better in the dry but in the wet I know which I'd rather have.

clio 182
I agree , with Dann... great tires but not great in the cold... nearly switched ends on a roundabout at the weekend at McDonalds.. oops.. to many big macs...

mk1 Octavia VRS
You went past a 182 with road tyres in your car with track tyres?
Who'd have guessed it.
Forgot to mention - it was wet (otherwise the 182 would've been on 888s or similar). With equal tyres the 182 should've been noticeably quicker as my car is closer to road spec than race spec. It was just an example of how big the performance gap was between AD08Rs and a tyre that some people rate highly.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to mention - it was wet (otherwise the 182 would've been on 888s or similar). With equal tyres the 182 should've been noticeably quicker as my car is closer to road spec than race spec. It was just an example of how big the performance gap was between AD08Rs and a tyre that some people rate highly.
I'm sorry, but T1Rs are absolutely pants in the wet, so it's still hardly a surprise.

They're 'OK' in the dry though.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I'm sorry, but T1Rs are absolutely pants in the wet, so it's still hardly a surprise.

They're 'OK' in the dry though.

Not a surprise to you, but would've been a surprise to people who rate the T1-R highly and I think it came as a bit of a surprise to the guys in the 182 race car at just how big the performance gap was.