ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin pilot sport 3

Renault Clio 182
Had crappy falkon tires up front and under steered like a b**ch and wheel spun until 5th gear in the dry.... (Maybe)
so splashed out on two pilot sport 3s! Was going to get the exaltos but they have been discontinued so any tires I could have found would of been old stock. I paid £90 each inc fitting and balancing, really happy with them! I used to be a Pirelli only guy when I have my impreza p1, hard to tell which is better as both cars are very different but I'd say the pilots are the better tire. It's totally changed the clio into a beast in the corners which I've been missing using the budgets that were on the car when I brought it. Couldn't recommend them enough!! :)

Dan.AS

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 & Mk2 GTE 16v
That's a really good price that. Where you get them from and what size? I've got PS3's all round on my 182 but I paid £120 each, give or take a couple of quid.

Renault Clio 182
That's a really good price that. Where you get them from and what size? I've got PS3's all round on my 182 but I paid £120 each, give or take a couple of quid.
205/45 16. £120 is a good price it's just these were from a friend of my dads. A place near sittingbourne in kent.

Clio 182
Im torn between these or the rainsport 3s. I know this would be a no brainer to some but Scotland is wet (a lot) and especially with the winter months ahead and I'm down to my last 3mm tread all round. Camskill do 4 ps3s for about 330 delivered or rainsports for 57 a corner. Bit of a difference

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The PS3 is just brilliant on these cars in pretty much all conditions and I have yet to find a tyre for these cars that performs as well. In Scotland you may want a dedicated winter tyre though.

Clio 182
Ive not even looked into winter tyres. Wouldn't know where to start.

Will do a bit more researched on the ps3. Don't think I'll find them much cheaper than that

If it's anything like last year I'm hoping it won't be that bad.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I highly rate PS3's.

But I also highly rate Michelin in general. Use them on my bikes & they're IMO by far the best all rounders.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The PS3's are very good. I've run them on dry and wet track days on a 182 and couldn't fault them. Complemented the cars chassis perfectly. If you don't go nuts you can get plenty of road miles out of them in between track days.

I've always been impressed with uniroyals tyres but I would stump up the extra for the michelins everytime. Brand new set of 4 PS3's feels very nice on a cup packed 182. The uniroyals are far from shite and will do the job well enough for the enthusiastic driver.

Neither are winter tyres and will be out of their depth in very low temperatures.

Tyre threads are a nightmare though as everyone like something different. It's like the dreaded synthetic oil or premium fuel debates.

Clio 182
I think over all from what I read I probably will pay the extra and got for michelins. Lucky if I do 6k a year so they should hopefully last a while!

Clio 182
That's decent enough when you include the fitting! I'm a bit fussy though I like to have the original sizes etc. bit anal that way :(

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Being in Scotland, providing I had space I'd get 4 winter tyres and then come march get the michelins.

I have the ps3's all round though and they do seem okay in the wet weather.

Clio 182
Ok money bags! Ha
I'll probably just make do with the shankooks I have on just now and wait till the worst weather is over then treat myself to 4 new ps3s

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I thought the P-zero neros were alright. Did a castle combe day on them and they faired well. The michelins are just better. Well in terms of speeds at the end of straights, confidence under braking and general feel anyway. 205/45/16 premium tyres do have a noticeable amount more grip than 195/45/16. I like the smaller ones on the 172cup but the 205's are really nice on a cup packed 182. Along with the EBD system the wider tyres do make for some good braking even in the wet. I got strangled by the seatbelt on track with my dad at the wheel on the PS3's in the 182. Moved the seat forward after that :p

The EBD on the ABS sports is something I miss in the wet on the cup. The ABS itself can go jump but to be able to really squeeze the pedal and have the system move it around to give you as much braking before a wheel locks is useful. My 206 diesel estate actually cooked it's rear drums thanks to the EBD system making good use of them when I tracked it.

Guys, these are just under £70 a corner over @ tyreleader.co.uk at the minute. Just ordered four myself, free delivery too.

205/45/16 83V

tyres_zpsd0a93cd1.jpg

No idea! Tyreleader have got very good reviews on trust pilot though. They haven't been sat on the rack for years either. Posts on other forums have all had tyres only a few months or so off the production line!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Can I just ask why dedicated winter tyres are needed in Scotland?

Because when ever i've been to Scotland in Winter (I go to Aberdeen and Airdrie to see friends for Christmas and New Years) the roads are grim. Standard road tyres don't tend to work too well in temps below 4 degrees which is why a Winter compound is advised in Scotland over winter periods.

225 Cup & Williams
Personally never had a problem driving in the winter in Scotland on standard tyres and I drive all over Scotland with my job.

Drive to the conditions and all that.

Clio 182 FF
I always thought the PS3 were a decent enough tyre on the road and average on a dry track day. Then i did a wet track day and was quite simply amazed! I do not consider myself the next Lewis Hamilton or anything like, but they inspire great confidence in the wet with great predictability. I was easily passing CTR's, ITR's, other 182's, Lotus', Evo's, dedicated track cars you name it even a GTR (bad driver) and it didn't even feel like i was pushing it. I don't put it down to my driving one bit i put it down to the tyres.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Guys, these are just under £70 a corner over @ tyreleader.co.uk at the minute. Just ordered four myself, free delivery too.

205/45/16 83V

tyres_zpsd0a93cd1.jpg
Cant seem to find these, need to get some too. Looks like the deal might be over. Just checked what GRNX means and it Green X which is some ECO thing supposedly they last longer ...

They'll all be GRNX, it's just Michelin speak for the wear rating. FSL = rim protection for example.

205/45/16 83V are showing as £72,50 per corner now but still cheap. You can also get 195/45/16 84V XL for the same price.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Personally never had a problem driving in the winter in Scotland on standard tyres and I drive all over Scotland with my job.

Drive to the conditions and all that.
Nor do most people but winter tyres work better in winter conditions due to their compounds being created specifically for low temperatures. So if you can afford them then why tip toe around in the winter when you could adopt a more normal driving style. Some summer tyres are out of their depth below 7 degrees let alone 4. It's no different to people having a track day set of tyres. I can get a car round a track perfectly well on road tyres wet or dry but if I had the money I could invest in tyres for the job that would mean I don't have to worry about cooking the tyres and the sidewalls turning to jelly as much when I'm being silly trying to follow something quick.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I had PS3s on my 172 before breaking it, replacing the Rainsport2s I had. Im not convinced its a better tyre. Price was near enough identical so I don't feel short changed, I would say they were 5-10% better in the dry than RS2s, but 5-10% worse in the wet.
Im currently running the budgets that came on the 182, which are 101% awful, and will get likely replaced with some Uniroyals, especially at this time of year I would be going for Rainsports. I've not has the RS3s on a 1*2 yet, but wife has them on her Megane GT150 and they feel very good in all conditions. Match well with the 40% more expensive Michelins the car came with, and are now on the rear only.
I would also advocate winter tyres if you feel that way inclined, had them back in 2009-2011 on my C30 when we had real bad winters, made a distinct difference over even top quality brand all weather tyres.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I was waiting for this. The Rainsports are a hit with some but I will always be raiding my wallet for the more expensive tires unless my wallet has nothing to raid. Good but not as good wet or dry on road or track.

Just for anyone considering Tyre Leader, or was dubious about them being cheap etc.. I'm fairly impressed. My tyres turned up today having ordered them at nearly midnight and they've come all the way from the Netherlands based on the tracking info!