ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MG ZR160 V Clio Sport 172

Mondeo
Reading the spec' CLio is 172 PS and 210Nm whilst the ZR160 is 160PS and 174Nm, weight is similar, yet performance is much closer than I would have thought.

Clio172 0-62 7.2sec 138mph top
ZR160 0-62 7.4sec 131mph top

Rover develops max torque loewr in the rev range and max power at higher rev's.

Anyone driven a ZR or experienced what they're like? ZR boys reckon they're very close and on a track the ZR is slightly quicker as its wheel base and track width are both greater than the Clio. Not trying to start a daft "Well i raced a Porsche and beat it" chain, just gain some opinion from anyone who has actual experience of the two please.

Thanks,
Harvey

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
round a track there are very close maybe the ZR may even have a slight edge, at the end of the day it will fall to bits quicker that a clio and thats saying something!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It may be a Rover, but cracking cars. Tenacious front end, better steering feel, more planted rear end (which makes it less fun IMO). Shame they have such a retarded image, and the nastiest cabin. Bargain fun though.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
erm is this a silly quaetion! mayb the 0.60 times are almost simular which i also doubt alot but put these two against each other in a race and i dnt think the rover would even touch it through the twisties. my mate has one and he recons it is the worst car hes veer had for driving and handling wise

black gold 182
im an ex zr owner and a proud mg enthusiast

no one with a reno can coment on there naff build quality lol they're not that bad at all tbh it felt more solid then my 182.
fantastic handling car you could seriously abuse it and it wouldnt snap but you would know what was about to happen - i had mine lowered 30mm and it was superb! heres some snaps...

Attachments

• DSC01747.JPG
    DSC01747.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC01749.JPG
    DSC01749.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01750.JPG
    DSC01750.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 115

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think it'd be pretty close...they're light.

Did only the 160 ZRs have rear discs? I know they did for a while...did they introduce rear discs for lesser models later on?

U know what without disrespecting the topic starter
does it feckin matter?
really? I mean i got my clio cuz i love the look of the car there smart and
you dont see many on the road .I did not purchase it cuz i wanna beat everyother
feckin moter on the road or i would of got one of those ugly ass gti pulsar
or something along those lines...

ITB BG 182
a friend had a 160 an i kept beating him which upset him, then he got a zt 190 i think it is, an i beat him again. Now he owns a 106 gti and is happier with it.

Clio R27
I Had a ZR went to shut the door and pulled the door card off:S the build quality is pants when I bought it the lad I got it off told me to sell it before 30000miles as the head gasket blows:S

clio 182
i had a zr 160 very very good car and very quick any car will break if u dont look after it my dads got the zs 180 v6 thing both great cars i had mine 4 2years with no problems at all and sold it on 80k running like a dream and they where very easy to fix i dont no y people diss them cheap to buy cheap to run great to drive and there easy to maintane

clio 182
U know what without disrespecting the topic starter
does it feckin matter?
really? I mean i got my clio cuz i love the look of the car there smart and
you dont see many on the road .I did not purchase it cuz i wanna beat everyother
feckin moter on the road or i would of got one of those ugly ass gti pulsar
or something along those lines...

with u all the way mate

i had a zr 160 very very good car and very quick any car will break if u dont look after it my dads got the zs 180 v6 thing both great cars i had mine 4 2years with no problems at all and sold it on 80k running like a dream and they where very easy to fix i dont no y people diss them cheap to buy cheap to run great to drive and there easy to maintane

And how does it compare to your Clio?

clio 182

And how does it compare to your Clio?

i bought the clio 4 a change i like the clio better because all the toys cruise controle traction controle ect ect and the clios are so nice to drive when u just want to sit back and cruise but on the track handling and power not much in it really

You know, they may be close performance wise, but I wouldn't even consider one as a car, just because it's a Rover, and they look bloody awful!!

ph2 172
i think they are good cars, my mates had a 1.4 zr and now has the 160 and has had blown head gaskets on both!so good apart from that i spose!not as fast as my 172 though!:)

These are the next VTS/R as they are so cheap now they will be in the hands of our countrys council estate's finest.

Local garage has a 52 plate of £3k. I'd have one over a ph1 172 for the same sort of money.

Clio 172
i went to modified nationals in 07 with the MG owners club (my mate had a ZS at the time) we followed a ZR 160 down to the show and he couldn't go over 55MPH because it would cut out. not fun on a long trip!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
These are the next VTS/R as they are so cheap now they will be in the hands of our countrys council estate's finest.

Local garage has a 52 plate of £3k. I'd have one over a ph1 172 for the same sort of money.

No way! I mean, fair play it'd be your money but christ, when you drive it around think about what message you're sending to the world hehe!

Confession - almost bought a brand new ZR 120 (the 1.8 none VVC - I was young, insurance was expensive and weirdly, it felt quicker on the test drive with the extra torque heh!) in late '04. A few months before Rover died. Close call...

Dan

MCS R56
I'm sure there was a decent comparison a few years ago with lots of Hot Hatches inc. 172 and ZR or maybe ZS. They were very close on the track, in the wet. The Clio was the quickest overall, beating the Civic and Astra etc...might have been an Autocar review.
Personally, they look okay from outside but the interior in ZR's are rubbish. No contest for me - no matter how close the performance is.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I had a BRM same engine as the ZR 160 but with 145 bhp ( the zr 160 gets its 160 with a larger throtle body 52mm new exhaust manifold and new ecu thats it ) and a better set up - 20 mm lower and L.S.D . The handling was very good and it was a nice drive with a nice split of power and torque ( max torque at 4000 rpm max power at 6750 rpm ) but was slow reving to that of my old 172 and the gti6 and just not as fast as the other to . A good car but IMO not in the leage of the 172/gti6

172 Cup
I had a 52 plate ZR160. Bought it new. Took it for its first service 1 year later and the head gasket had gone. Complained like f$%k and got a refund. Was a nice car to drive not quite as quick as a 172 on straights or corners but was great fun to drive none the less. If it hadn't broke or they had updated the interior a bit more I would have been happy keeping it for a longer!

Elise S1 B&C 140

Same mate although i had the rover VI which lets face it is very similar but with less power (140BHP) had ZR wheels Susp and brakes and was an excellent car. I bought it with 62,000 on and sold it with 117,000 no probs whatsoever in that time. Not quite as quick as the clio but i bet the 160 isnt far off, and to be honest the handling in the rover was probably better than the clios IMO i certainly felt far safer on the limit.

Infact it was so good i have had 2 one after the other and will shortly be building a ZR160 track car (a group project between 4 of us) for some more cheap and cheerful fun. Rover/MG are alot better than people think.

Deja vu 182
Does the lap of the track include headgasket change ? Used to work for Landrover , heads are made of chocolate on the K series (seem to fair better in the cars less weight , drivetrain stress and better cooling ). Shame as the cars are quite nice looking on the outside .

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
my g.fs ZR 1.4 105. handles really well. is is quicker than most 1.4's. @105bhp. dont know much about the 160 though

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I think its a mix of Dairy Milk and Galaxy tbh LOL . Ihad my BRM for 13 months and went through 2 HGF :dead:

Does the lap of the track include headgasket change ? Used to work for Landrover , heads are made of chocolate on the K series (seem to fair better in the cars less weight , drivetrain stress and better cooling ). Shame as the cars are quite nice looking on the outside .

133/225/CLS AMG
My ex had a Rover 25 and the build quality felt sturdy enough but after 2 head gaskets within 38,000 miles I wouldn't touch a Rover/MG with someone elses barge pole I'm afraid.

53 Clio's & counting
my personal opinion is there great cars,a mates got one and has had from 22k and its done 67k now,admitedly its had 2 headgaskets in that,but that is from uneaven liners,as he had had his cylinder liners measured to find the problem,anyway bk on track,up to 100 its not too far off prob 5-7 car lenths at a guess, handles very predictivley,and i found it nice to drive,sounds great with a decent induction set up

Put the K series engine in the hands of lotus, let them chuck out all the cheap, crappy bits and rebuild it and it becomes a cracking engine. Been powering the Elises well until the recent change to Toyota lumps.

So for all the ZR160 owners out there, get yourself to Hethel spend a small fortune and you'll have a lovely little motor (shame about the interior).

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I'm sure there was a decent comparison a few years ago with lots of Hot Hatches inc. 172 and ZR or maybe ZS. They were very close on the track, in the wet. The Clio was the quickest overall, beating the Civic and Astra etc...might have been an Autocar review.
Personally, they look okay from outside but the interior in ZR's are rubbish. No contest for me - no matter how close the performance is.

I think I remember the one you mean as well mate - was a green ZR iirc and they said it was good value etc, but the interior was just cack?

On the HG issue - there's some uprated bolts and stuf available to cure it isn't there?

Dan

Current ride - my Adidas!
I agree about the interiors being very flimsy and tacky feeling and think that I definitely can comment on that as it doesn't in my opinion hold a candle to the interior of my 182. I work as a vehicle inspector and have seen loads. I do however think that if u want plenty of bang for not many bucks then the MG Z*s are definitely an option and as always alot of the performance comes down to how good a nailing you give it. They're certainly not slow.