ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Melting Steering Wheel: Renault Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger
  2. Jaffa182
  3. whatisjustis
  4. John.med
  5. Cupster
  6. Clairemae
  7. 182kev
  8. martynrg
  9. kevin.s
  10. CupDude
  11. koi
  12. Hazza
  13. Dajones
not a 182 but still got a melted steering wheel at 40k

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Why only Renaultsports?

Does that mean a 182 Cup with a Dynamique wheel can, but a Dynamique with a Dynamique wheel can't?

The melting leather affects more than just RS owners, and there's plenty of people on here with melting wheels in Dynamiques etc.

none rs are welcome to add their names to the list as long as they are complaining about the ORIGINAL wheel and not a retrofitted RS wheel

please be sure to do so in this thread though -http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=353581

Sorry, I meant to reply to Haz but got interupted at work lol.

I didn't realise the poverty spec cars had a problem too. Good, the more the merrier. Need a huge list to give to Renault so they realise they have a problem.

H&R + Pole Position'd Cup
Strange this as I own 2 Cup's at the moment. 1 wheel is quite badly melted and thumb drips are coming off, but the other is in near as perfect condition :/

R56 JCW
I think renault are absolutly disgusting. Its there problem regardless, same problem with the Cat, mine went within 25k (Built with crap materials) and they wouldnt replace it as it was a year out of warrenty and its was a import, so i wasnt forking out over a grand for one, so to decat it was!!

There customer service is aweful, Mine is now over 30 and the top of the Steering wheel is going, but thumbs are ok still. If i was you, maybe go to Watchdog, and get them on the case about it again like the Bonnet problem a few years ago Im sure renault will do something then.

White Sti Hatch
  1. Jaffa182
  2. whatisjustis
  3. John.med
  4. Cupster
  5. Clairemae
  6. 182kev
  7. martynrg
  8. kevin.s
  9. CupDude
  10. koi
  11. Hazza
  12. Dajones
  13. BioHzrd - Mk3 30K :/

mx5
Mine is worse that the ones in the original pics! I'll get pics, but there are two flat spots on either side of the wheel where the fake leather has melted completely.
Rather than getting a new wheel I cheaped out and just got a cover for it :eek:

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
  1. Jaffa182
  2. whatisjustis
  3. John.med
  4. Cupster
  5. Clairemae
  6. 182kev
  7. martynrg
  8. kevin.s
  9. CupDude
  10. koi
  11. Hazza
  12. Dajones
  14. dangerous daves mummys 182 @24k

182 has now gone!
Iv emailed Renault regarding the melting steering problem, this is what they have to say:

Dear customer

Thank you for your e-mail.

I was disappointed to hear of the problem you have encountered with the steering wheel on your Renault Clio. I do appreciate your concerns regarding this matter and can understand the disappointment that has been caused.

As a responsible manufacturer, Renault UK invests significant resource in researching the latest technology and equipment when we develop models to ensure that the best possible safety and quality standards are achieved throughout our range. We continue to monitor all customer complaints across the range of vehicles that we have sold, in the event that further investigations are necessary. I can confirm that there is no inherent design or quality defects with the steering wheel supplied with your Renault Clio.

When your Renault Clio was manufactured, it was supplied with a comprehensive three year or 60,000 mile warranty, dependent on which interval is reached soonest. This warranty allows Renault UK to rectify any problems the car may have that are a manufacturing defect and not attributable to wear and tear. We believe that should a part be of substandard quality at manufacture, the part would have failed during the warranty period. When the manufacturer’s warranty expired, as the owner of the vehicle, you became responsible for any repairs or maintenance that may be required.

When a warranty expires, we will always consider requests from a goodwill point of view to establish whether any financial support can be offered towards a repair. Unfortunately, as your car is now nearly a year outside of its original manufacturer’s warranty, and the issue could be attributed to wear and tear, I am unable to assist with the cost of your wheel replacement.

I know this is not the response you were looking for but hope you understand my reasons for being unable to contribute towards your repair. It is always disappointing to read correspondence from an unhappy customer and I am sorry that on this occasion I am unable to meet your expectations. We do value the feedback from our customers be it a positive or negative experience.

Renault UK, in conjunction with our colleagues at Renault France, strive to ensure all our vehicles are designed to provide the least amount of inconvenience to our customers, although we accept there will be occurrences from time to time where we are unable to influence outside conditions, which may cause your vehicle to require replacement parts fitted sooner than we would have generally anticipated.

Should you wish to discuss this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on the customer service free phone number on 0800 072 33 72.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Amanda Millgate
Consultant
Renault Customer Services

Exactly the same email I got from a Peter Beck yesterday at Renault.. I called to speak to him and he advised it is wear and tear!!

Titanium Clio 182
I don't mean to p*ss on anyone's chips but....

my old job was....working in the customer service department at Renault head office.

By all means send them your list.

They'll say thanks, but we consider goodwill on a case by case basis.
So, though we can see your list is quite long, to consider goodwill for your individual wheel, we can only take into account facts relevant to your car.
They'll also say that okay you've sent us a list with (example) 100 cars on that have gone like this. They'll then point out the X thousand Clio's sold, and that your list constitutes a very small quantity of the total sold. And with there being examples out there that haven't had this problem, they'll dismiss any claim of an inherent problem.

Sorry guys, just trying to keep it real.

6/468 17poo
mines like a piece of chocolate and feels horrible when touching the top!

i put a scarf round it to stop it melting, if you put a steering wheel lock on it f***s it right up s**t creek!

03 172'

1. Jaffa182
2. whatisjustis
3. John.med
4. Cupster
5. Clairemae
6. 182kev
7. martynrg
8. kevin.s
9. CupDude
10. koi
11. Hazza
12. Dajones
15. Beatjunkie

Stunty I understand what you are saying, but I am going to make it quite clear that as we only have access to a small minority of clio drivers/owners that to have achieved, as we have done so far, 51 names in just 8 hours is quite an exceptional number of people to all be experiencing the same problem.

It may go no where, however I have seen similar things work with Renault before, notably and most recently, Renault have now released a fix for the cold running issues on the 197 after a similar joint complaint was began on the RenaultSport forum.

EDIT: Dangerous dave and beatjunkie please add your names to the list in sticky thread at the top of Clio Discussion

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Renault are f**king s**t!!

How the f**k can you class that as wear and tear???

Remember the phase-1 172 wheel? Fell apart by the time you'd driven off the dealers forecourt!

Useless fukwits.

Titanium Clio 182
Stunty I understand what you are saying, but I am going to make it quite clear that as we only have access to a small minority of clio drivers/owners that to have achieved, as we have done so far, 51 names in just 8 hours is quite an exceptional number of people to all be experiencing the same problem.

It may go no where, however I have seen similar things work with Renault before, notably and most recently, Renault have now released a fix for the cold running issues on the 197 after a similar joint complaint was began on the RenaultSport forum.

EDIT: Dangerous dave and beatjunkie please add your names to the list in sticky thread at the top of Clio Discussion

oh I know mate. don't get me wrong. i'd still do the list and send it. just kinda knowing the way things work there, i wouldn't be too optimistic.
good luck all the same.

oh, and for those who've now read where i used to work, sshh, forget i said that ;)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
'51 plate on 63k.

Mine's not too bad although it's been uprated with copious amounts of superglue and silicone. The wheel is slightly offset as well after it was last tracked but I don't want to have it re-centered as it will concentrate the wear.

I shouldn't have to think like this.

1. Jaffa182
2. whatisjustis
3. John.med
4. Cupster
5. Clairemae
6. 182kev
7. martynrg
8. kevin.s
9. CupDude
10. koi
11. Hazza
12. Dajones
15. Beatjunkie
16. Len_Beach

'91 Clio RT =D
claim on ur statatory rights they have to give you a replacement regardless

not fit for purpose, you are correct there my friend

clio 1.2 16v dynamique
omg i just joined this site after looking for a good renault one and looking at these steering wheels mine is exactly the same falling to bits i just thought i was a grubby little bugger and didnt wash enough lol (joke obviously i wash most months) anyway im glad im not the only person with this problem as previously thought.

Mini Cooper S sport
Christ, Mark's wheel was absolutely SHOCKING! I had no idea they got that bad.

The wheel on my 182 was mint when I sold it (54 plate, 3.5 years old), no signs of wear and tear at all. How weird. Surely Renault have to do something about the problem, that has to be a design fault. Steering wheels shouldn't fall to bits after a few years.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
1. Jaffa182
2. whatisjustis
3. John.med
4. Cupster
5. Clairemae
6. 182kev
7. martynrg
8. kevin.s
9. CupDude
10. koi
11. Hazza
12. Dajones
15. Beatjunkie
16. Len_Beach
17. Martin_89 (Destroyed @ 47k / thumbgrip split at 21k)

Snatch with DIY mods.
Iv emailed Renault regarding the melting steering problem, this is what they have to say:

Dear customer

Thank you for your e-mail.

I was disappointed to hear of the problem you have encountered with the steering wheel on your Renault Clio. I do appreciate your concerns regarding this matter and can understand the disappointment that has been caused.

As a responsible manufacturer, Renault UK invests significant resource in researching the latest technology and equipment when we develop models to ensure that the best possible safety and quality standards are achieved throughout our range. We continue to monitor all customer complaints across the range of vehicles that we have sold, in the event that further investigations are necessary. I can confirm that there is no inherent design or quality defects with the steering wheel supplied with your Renault Clio.

When your Renault Clio was manufactured, it was supplied with a comprehensive three year or 60,000 mile warranty, dependent on which interval is reached soonest. This warranty allows Renault UK to rectify any problems the car may have that are a manufacturing defect and not attributable to wear and tear. We believe that should a part be of substandard quality at manufacture, the part would have failed during the warranty period. When the manufacturer’s warranty expired, as the owner of the vehicle, you became responsible for any repairs or maintenance that may be required.

When a warranty expires, we will always consider requests from a goodwill point of view to establish whether any financial support can be offered towards a repair. Unfortunately, as your car is now nearly a year outside of its original manufacturer’s warranty, and the issue could be attributed to wear and tear, I am unable to assist with the cost of your wheel replacement.

I know this is not the response you were looking for but hope you understand my reasons for being unable to contribute towards your repair. It is always disappointing to read correspondence from an unhappy customer and I am sorry that on this occasion I am unable to meet your expectations. We do value the feedback from our customers be it a positive or negative experience.

Renault UK, in conjunction with our colleagues at Renault France, strive to ensure all our vehicles are designed to provide the least amount of inconvenience to our customers, although we accept there will be occurrences from time to time where we are unable to influence outside conditions, which may cause your vehicle to require replacement parts fitted sooner than we would have generally anticipated.

Should you wish to discuss this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on the customer service free phone number on 0800 072 33 72.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Amanda Millgate
Consultant
Renault Customer Services

I would wrap that letter around the steering wheel and throw it through your local dealers window.

Inferno Cliosport 182 FF
I've added my name onto the list too. I have a 182 54 plate that's done 42,000 and both thumb grips have split, the right one is the worst though.

172 Cup
1. Jaffa182
2. whatisjustis
3. John.med
4. Cupster
5. Clairemae
6. 182kev
7. martynrg
8. kevin.s
9. CupDude
10. koi
11. Hazza
12. Dajones
15. Beatjunkie
16. Len_Beach
17. Martin_89 (Destroyed @ 47k / thumbgrip split at 21k)[/quote]
18. Nafeun (Split thumb grip + melted, 2003 172 Cup @ 38k)

Elise S1 B&C 140
I had exactly the same response as the OP ive since had three phone calls with them and will be visiting the dealer over the weekend.

1. Jaffa182
2. whatisjustis
3. John.med
4. Cupster
5. Clairemae
6. 182kev
7. martynrg
8. kevin.s
9. CupDude
10. koi
11. Hazza
12. Dajones
15. Beatjunkie
16. Len_Beach
19. Goders172Sort ( 47K Melted & split thumbgrip)

^Thats an impressive list in that thread. I must have got a good batch my wheel is fine on 48k (so far)

RS Clio 172 Ph1
I had exactly the same response as the OP ive since had three phone calls with them and will be visiting the dealer over the weekend.

1. Jaffa182
2. whatisjustis
3. John.med
4. Cupster
5. Clairemae
6. 182kev
7. martynrg
8. kevin.s
9. CupDude
10. koi
11. Hazza
12. Dajones
15. Beatjunkie
16. Len_Beach
19. Goders172Sort ( 47K Melted & split thumbgrip)

Remove the steering wheel

Go down to the local renault garage

Ask to see the manager

Tell him you will stand on the public pavement and show everyone who walks past and who enters the garage the steering wheel. Also say you will video the act and put reactions of people on youtube along with the name of the garage.

Proceed to stand and show people the wheel and video the process

Wait for begging manager to offer a replacement

hope renault do the right thing and replace the steering wheels.
wouldnt passing this to watchdog etc be any help, now that you have more than 50 names down?

Status
Not open for further replies.