ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 3 Rs as a track car?

172 Cup
Hi all
Just doing a bit of research for a friend who is looking for a new track car.
He has sold his evo 8 fq340 which has done many years of track service and is looking for somthing different he loves turbo cars and wants a change from jap 4x4 so the megane fits the bill.
What are the things to look out for when buying I.e common faults etc?
Does the engine respond well to tuning or is it expensive and risky to go for big(ish) power I.e 320+ Bhp?
Good mods for track?
Are the standard brakes up to a bit of track work?
Basically any info will be appreciated
Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If he gets a Megane 250 most of them actually dyno at around 270bhp standard. They'll remap to 320bhp easily.

Bigger injectors, decat and an intercooler you'll be looking at 350bhp.

The Mk3's have bigger brakes than the Mk2's, so standard calipers and discs are fine just a decent pad is needed. Carbone Lorraine work well.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Just make sure its a Cup so it has the LSD or will be wheels spin city on track.

Track 172 Cup
My mate has just bought a R26 2007 with about 60k miles (mk2) and he loves it only had a remap but fully stripped/poly windows/buckets and caged and it's quick lol paid about 7k for it.

172 Cup
Cheers for the info guys.
I was wondering what the difference between the cup and the normal models was and an lsd will be pretty vital as you say so I'll mention that to him

16v UK Cup Race Car
My experience in one was that even with an LSD the inside wheel spins up in corners under power. Massively ate through tyres.

Track 172 Cup
As above lol my mate has an R26 fully stripped and full cage plastic windows etc (about 250hp with map) and I can't keep up with him at Oulton, And he's just booked it in for a RS250 Turbo, 630cc Injectors, Remap.