ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Media streamers

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
not very good in which way? all the magazines rate it highly and it had an amazing interface, unlike the western digital live where everything is all on one list whereby if something occurs late in the alphabet in your collection then it's a ballache to find!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It's old hat, not very cheap and they will go bust if the latest us venture doesn't work out.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
changed my mind now, got a pc running XBMC and it's exactly what I needed.

Should have got a Mac Mini.

yes, I'm on commission. Sir Jony promises to acknowledge I exist for ten seconds for every Mac Mini I convince somebody to buy who otherwise wouldn't. So thanks.

Rav4
Should have got a Mac Mini.

yes, I'm on commission. Sir Jony promises to acknowledge I exist for ten seconds for every Mac Mini I convince somebody to buy who otherwise wouldn't. So thanks.

With Plex or XBMC?

:)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Apple TV 3 for me, server PC set up in the loft with a whole host of movies, tv programs etc, news groups, 120mb broadband and software called 'logmein' (for remote control of the PC through my Ipad, my ipad essentially becomes my PC screen, keyboard and mouse)

Job done.

Rav4
Apple TV 3 for me, server PC set up in the loft with a whole host of movies, tv programs etc, news groups, 120mb broadband and software called 'logmein' (for remote control of the PC through my Ipad, my ipad essentially becomes my PC screen, keyboard and mouse)

Job done.

+iTunes or are you using XBMC/Plex?

RB 182
That western digital tv thing look like it would be quite good? anyone got/used/heard much about them?

Although i would prefer a mac mini/ jail broken apple tv...

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Say you AirPlay, from ipad to ATV3. What's the quality like? I will use it for plex, it's either ATV3 or Roku XS.

Say you AirPlay, from ipad to ATV3. What's the quality like? I will use it for plex, it's either ATV3 or Roku XS.

More or less exactly the same as it is on your iPad. As long as you're not watching a tiny resolution video from 1995.

Polo GTi
That western digital tv thing look like it would be quite good? anyone got/used/heard much about them?

Although i would prefer a mac mini/ jail broken apple tv...

Yep I have one, its excellent. Never failed to play any media I have thrown at it.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Good man.

I picked up an Apple TV 3rd gen tonight. I'm not allowed until Christmas though said my Mrs :(

RB 182
Good man.

I picked up an Apple TV 3rd gen tonight. I'm not allowed until Christmas though said my Mrs :(
Was tempted by a Apple TV but I think I would have gone for a 2nd jail broken one, then I thought I'm in quite a good financial position and I could benefit from have a computer too so a Mac mini ticked all the boxes for me ...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Depends on the source content. Plex for iOS can stream at 1080p.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
+iTunes or are you using XBMC/Plex?

Yes, iTunes on the server pc. Download HD films in MKV format, convert to MP4 using mkvtomp4 converter (takes about 20 mins for a 10gb file. Can keep the subtitles, languages etc. Takes maybe 1 - 1.5 hours to download, extract, convert.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
To be honest I've not tried plex, I quite like the apple interface and being able to use the apple tv without using my iPhone or iPad.

Ill give plex a try though, I might be converted. I presume I would AirPlay content from my phone or iPad to the apple tv?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No you use the iPhone or iPad as the "controller" in conjunction with the plex app and the plex media server.

What it actually does is transcodes the media to the iPhone/iPad which then in turn outputs to the ATV. On both my iPad and iPhone I can continue to use the phone while this is happening.

Beauty of this setup is that plex does all the meta work and you don't have to sit there converting all day.

Also works with any other DLNA devices you may have in other rooms.

Downside is that the media server (mac /pc) has to be on all the time.

This also means the iOS app will access the server anywhere as long as its on. This obviously depends on your upload speeds but works really really well. No jailbreaks either, although you can cut out the middle man (iOS) if you do.

Clio 172
Tom, what did you use as a media server? As in hardware. I'm trying to get a perfect combo, I can have 2-3 720 films on, but one 1020 absolutely cripples it. I even tried using my computer as a player, therefore direct playing it but still jumped and skipped.

DCi
i built a small win7 box for this task. i picked the components specifically for no fans because it will be on all the time (it's basically a netbook motherboard - laptop PSU, no CPU fan, just heat sink) so it is silent. It's not really the simplest or cheapest of solutions but I like a new toy...

I run it in conjunction with a NAS which the media PC maps drives from (I am risking disk failure as it's a cheap NAS but the plan is to upgrade.)

I mostly use sabnzbd to get all my content, so i can access the interface through my brower without going on the PC as it sits under my TV with no Keys/mouse, there are plugins for my PC/phone so I can set downloads off from remote PC's in 1 click, quite cool.
The next task for sabnzbd is to ensure 'watched' folder works properly - I think I can get it to look in my dropbox for .nzb files so hopefully this will solve the issue I have of no memory - someone tells me a TV show is great but I'm not home - I want to get my phone, stick the .nzb in my dropbox then have my media PC pick it up and start downloading all ready for the time I get home. I think theoretically it should work but I've not had a chance to check the dropbox app on my phone will do this yet. Fingers crossed.

I get music by sticking a shortcut to itunes in the startup folder - then playing music through my speakers controlling it with the apple remote app - no mouse of course!

I play my TV/Films using windows media centre as it's just a win7 box. I have all the plugins sorted so i dont care about converting stuff I just take it as it comes. Might investigate that when space becomes an issue. I also have some WMC plugins to get onto xbmc/youtube/iplayer etc. I bought the official microsoft remote to control it, seemed the easiest way. Amusing that when I tried it out it started sending my xbox mental. Didn't realise it was going to do that... ended up taping over the sensor.
I also have a TV card so I can just watch normal freeview, although I never really do. Obviously WMC will record too but I never bother with that either.

As I said it's not the easiest solution to get going but I like that if I think of something for it to do, I know I can get it setup somehow... :)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
No you use the iPhone or iPad as the "controller" in conjunction with the plex app and the plex media server.

What it actually does is transcodes the media to the iPhone/iPad which then in turn outputs to the ATV. On both my iPad and iPhone I can continue to use the phone while this is happening.

Beauty of this setup is that plex does all the meta work and you don't have to sit there converting all day.

Also works with any other DLNA devices you may have in other rooms.

Sorry I worded my post wrong. I understand that I would be using the ipad as a controller, but my concerns are that the contecnt will be streamed from my PC to my Ipad, then airplayed to the Apple TV. Doesn't this mean a lot of WiFi bandwidth will be in use?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No, even at its highest setting its only 20mbps.

Unless you have BD rips Thats ott.

I have an ATV2 so its 720p max and thats 4mbps. Its terrific quality.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
No, even at its highest setting its only 20mbps.

Unless you have BD rips Thats ott.

I have an ATV2 so its 720p max and thats 4mbps. Its terrific quality.

I'll give it a try later, thanks for the info.

Chris

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No worries, like i said its not perfect but it does work well.