ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Media streamers

133/225/CLS AMG
I currently have an Apple TV box and am really pleased with it, streams perfectly from my iMac where I have various movies and a large part of my CD collection ripped to MP3. To the point I don't play my CDs directly anymore and just through the Apple TV box.

Also, have literally just downloaded an app onto my Nexus 7 tablet so I'm currently streaming Shaun of the Dead from it.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
My PS3 has crashed again trying to watch 4od so I have a question;

I've set up my Apple Tv 3, how do I stream 4od through it?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You dont.

I guess you could set up a 4od plex channel and use the iOS app to airplay it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
its relatively easy, you need to buy the plex app from the app store. (iOS)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've found it on the App Store, I'm assuming that I purchase plex and it can be set up through that?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes you then need to add the channels via the server. Then they show up in the iOS app, then you can airplay.

Massively long winded. But it works.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I think I've gone wrong somewhere.

Bear with me please, I've added the channels (I can only find BBC iPlayer and 4oD, are there others I can add that I can't find like ITV Player?) and I've had BBC iPlayer working, I turned my macbook air off and the channels vanished. I'm assuming that this is because the "server" has to be on to stream via the iPhone to the Apple tv?

However, 4oD still doesn't want to know. It's still not cooperating.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah that's the catch. The channels are being transcoded by the mac.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Tbh I find 4od massively hit and miss. Sometimes it works most of the time it doesn't. But it's essentially a work around...

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Do you have Sky or Virgin TV? Virgin already had 4OD, and it's coming to sky in 2013.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Can't you AirPlay from the MacBook?

That is an option and I am currently streaming this way but I'm trying to find alternatives. I like to sit and watch TV whilst on the Internet on my mac, if I'm mirroring through the mac then I can't do this.

AK

M240i
i built a small win7 box for this task. i picked the components specifically for no fans because it will be on all the time (it's basically a netbook motherboard - laptop PSU, no CPU fan, just heat sink) so it is silent. It's not really the simplest or cheapest of solutions but I like a new toy...

I run it in conjunction with a NAS which the media PC maps drives from (I am risking disk failure as it's a cheap NAS but the plan is to upgrade.)

I mostly use sabnzbd to get all my content, so i can access the interface through my brower without going on the PC as it sits under my TV with no Keys/mouse, there are plugins for my PC/phone so I can set downloads off from remote PC's in 1 click, quite cool.
The next task for sabnzbd is to ensure 'watched' folder works properly - I think I can get it to look in my dropbox for .nzb files so hopefully this will solve the issue I have of no memory - someone tells me a TV show is great but I'm not home - I want to get my phone, stick the .nzb in my dropbox then have my media PC pick it up and start downloading all ready for the time I get home. I think theoretically it should work but I've not had a chance to check the dropbox app on my phone will do this yet. Fingers crossed.

I get music by sticking a shortcut to itunes in the startup folder - then playing music through my speakers controlling it with the apple remote app - no mouse of course!

I play my TV/Films using windows media centre as it's just a win7 box. I have all the plugins sorted so i dont care about converting stuff I just take it as it comes. Might investigate that when space becomes an issue. I also have some WMC plugins to get onto xbmc/youtube/iplayer etc. I bought the official microsoft remote to control it, seemed the easiest way. Amusing that when I tried it out it started sending my xbox mental. Didn't realise it was going to do that... ended up taping over the sensor.
I also have a TV card so I can just watch normal freeview, although I never really do. Obviously WMC will record too but I never bother with that either.

As I said it's not the easiest solution to get going but I like that if I think of something for it to do, I know I can get it setup somehow... :)

Get Sickbeard, couch potato and headphones to go along with Sab.