ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Me and bigash at the ring in my mrs 172

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will do a proper thread with pictures in when I get a chance to round them all up, but just thought this one was pretty funny as Bigash looks such a tight fit in the passenger seat, lol

chip-ash-ring.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Between us we add over 20% to the weight of the clio, no wonder it took me nearly 10 minutes to do that lap, FLOL

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Great photo. Looks like Bowzer on Mario kart :)

love you really James, as you know I'm not a small chap, so I'd look worse. See you later Chippington, looks like you had fun!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Great photo. Looks like Bowzer on Mario kart :)

love you really James, as you know I'm not a small chap, so I'd look worse. See you later Chippington, looks like you had fun!

If you had been on the back seat too, I reckon it would have been over a 10 minute lap and needing a new splitter after the caroussel.

Yeah it was an epic holiday, spa was awesome too, will do a proper write up, or james will no doubt.

See you this evening to see if we can work out what the hell is up with your moody little fecker of a car!

Haha pmsl!! and everyone wonders why I changed the seating position in my car :rasp: Can't wait to see all the pictures, video's and write up from what was the most epic trip :) Thanks to all and can't wait for March!

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Saw 'OCD' a few times on and around the ring at weekend! I was there in my blue PH1 172. Looked good, weather spoilt our trip as only there for the Saturday and then Sunday first half. Think one of my mates has a good pic of you just before the ticket barrier and behind a DC5. Will see if I can find it.

First time at the 'ring and did a first lap Saturday early eve in some terrible rain.....was an experience!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Good job you got a nice torque curve in that Clio Chip otherwise you would have to slip the clutch to get off the line;)

After meeting James at Oulton I couldn't quite get over the size of him! Must have 3ft wide shoulders!

Good photo though

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Curious on the write up Chip! Glad you had a good time!

Clio seems to have a lot of roll though! Stock suspension?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Proper gutted, just been looking through the gopro from spa and I got it out of sync, so everytime I came into the pits I was turning it on and everytime I was going out onto track I was turning it off, so Ive got videos of it just sat there :(

Me and ash had a tussle with an M3 where from the hairpin he pulled out about 50 yards on me, and then up through Eau Rouge I carried so much more pace through the bends that I gained it all back again, and I was really looking forward to showing everyone that I "had him when we got to the twisties" but sadly I dont have it on film :(

Got some cool spa and ring photos of our car though, so will do a thread this weekend with them all in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Saw 'OCD' a few times on and around the ring at weekend! I was there in my blue PH1 172. Looked good, weather spoilt our trip as only there for the Saturday and then Sunday first half. Think one of my mates has a good pic of you just before the ticket barrier and behind a DC5. Will see if I can find it.

First time at the 'ring and did a first lap Saturday early eve in some terrible rain.....was an experience!

The weather on saturday was epic, me and the mrs squeezed in as many laps as we could while it was soaking wet, I love the ring in the rain, so much more of a challenge, obviously laptimes go out the window etc but I dont ever bother about those anymore anyway TBH

I dont remember seeing a blue phase 1, although we saw a green one.

172, Tiguan
I'd love to go back to the Ring to do a TF day, but unless you've got specific ring insurance for a tf day you're basically risking the rest of your life if you ever have, or cause, an incident.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Did you make the apex?! Nice pic... Prefer spa or the ring?

Yes mate, made the apex just fine, think we only had one corner on that lap where I got the line significantly wrong, as I remember commenting to Ash on one that I had turned in a little soon, it was a really steady lap though, was the first dry lap I had ever done in this car, and we were just crusing around chatting etc, as previous to this trip I have only done 3 laps in about the last 4 years or so wich means im getting a bit rusty, lol, and also those were in porkies clio which is very different handling wise. In fact to show how slow it was I looked on the video and it was IIRC 9:47 (best part of a minute off the pace that car and me could do if really on it, not that I ever would be these days, im a lot more reserved there since my big crash 7 years ago), I will upload it anyway when I do a photo thread though as annoyingly thats actually the only lap I managed to get on film, as between flat batteries, a corrupted SD card and me just being a bit of a numpty with not pressing the correct button I managed to totally avoid getting any other footage, but thankfully the pics we got were good which interests me more anyway as they dont take 10 mins to look at, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd love to go back to the Ring to do a TF day, but unless you've got specific ring insurance for a tf day you're basically risking the rest of your life if you ever have, or cause, an incident.

Thats exactly why I havent driven there for the last 4 years mate, that is how long it took me to find insurance.

Its not just a TF day though that you are taking those risks, even on the trackdays you still have to pay barrier damage as well so easily could spend 50K you didnt mean to if you arent insured!

TBH it was fairly pointless us having insurance considering how sensible we were driving, but for the sake of 240 quid for the 4 days and a day at spa, it was just a no brainer to cough up for it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Curious on the write up Chip! Glad you had a good time!

Clio seems to have a lot of roll though! Stock suspension?

Probably looks a little more roll there than on most bends as that one is a little off camber and downhill, but yes it does lean, at the ring it was pretty much perfect for the 8/10ths laps we were doing but at spa it was nowhere near firm enough and not enough camber.
I dont think I will take this car to spa again, but for the ring its just perfect and I will definately be going again as soon as logistics of work and money etc allow, the mrs is hooked too as this was her first trip over as Ive only been once since I was with her and she didnt come on that one.

172, Tiguan
Well worth the £60 a day to be honest, well worth it.

Kind of glad I did all those laps when things like this weren't such an issue and UK insurance policies didn't specifically exclude it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Winter tyres and no helmets?

Bad ass!

"because nearly 10 minute lap" - wasnt there to go flat out, just to enjoy the lines at a brisk pace.

Honestly mate, when I upload the video you will see how calm I was taking it, I was even lifting partway down Fuchsröhre.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well worth the £60 a day to be honest, well worth it.

Kind of glad I did all those laps when things like this weren't such an issue and UK insurance policies didn't specifically exclude it.

Likewise mate, I got a 6K euro bill when I crashed there, and my normal road insurance picked up the tab and paid out for the car as well, those days are gone now though sadly!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL at the pic.

How did the car perform round the ring?

Was literally perfect for the "fairly quick" laps we were doing, I can say hand on heart there isnt another car I would have preferred to be driving it was just spot on. Comfy on the cruise over, good on fuel, easy to drive, great power delivery even if you get the revs slightly wrong in a bend where it doesnt go quite where you expect etc, could take loads of kerb on board without unsettling it. It really is the ideal ring setup for how we like to drive it.
At spa though, it was massively out of its depth, completely different story! nowhere near enough roll resistance and nowhere near enough camber, I dont think we will bother taking this car back there TBH!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
"because nearly 10 minute lap" - wasnt there to go flat out, just to enjoy the lines at a brisk pace.

Honestly mate, when I upload the video you will see how calm I was taking it, I was even lifting partway down Fuchsröhre.

I'm only messing mate! I'd be a brisk 9-10 minute'er as well i reckon! :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Who did you use for insurance?

I'm doing a spa day and week at the ring next year, didn't even know anyone would insure you there!

We are with Keith Michaels PLC mate, you have to be covered with them for the year as a road car and then they sell you day by day cover at the circuits, they wont cover you on track only if you arent with them for the whole year on the road too though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm only messing mate! I'd be a brisk 9-10 minute'er as well i reckon! :eek:

When I first started going there about 10 years ago I was WAY too committed (hence the big crash), I treated it like a UK track where it doesnt really matter if you have the occasional spill off and into a gravel trap etc, the ring though is totally different, 6 foot of grass then armco, if you leave the track doing 90mph you hit the barrier doing about 88mph still!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
When I first started going there about 10 years ago I was WAY too committed (hence the big crash), I treated it like a UK track where it doesnt really matter if you have the occasional spill off and into a gravel trap etc, the ring though is totally different, 6 foot of grass then armco, if you leave the track doing 90mph you hit the barrier doing about 88mph still!

So you know the track reasonably well then? Big crash??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So you know the track reasonably well then?

Yes mate, fairly well, done a few hundred laps over the years, although until this trip have only done a few laps in the last 4 or so, and that was in Porkies clio which is a bit different to this one, so you will see me clearly not trying mega hard in the video when I upload it from the lap that picture was from.

Big crash??
6K euro of barrier damage mate, took out 32M of it in an E30 BMW about 7 or so years ago.